Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is it 'safe' to buy a da* 16-50mm now?

Sigma, Tamron & Pentax all have great offerings in the focal range. The DA* has the others beat for weather sealing, SMC coating, & in carrying the Pentax name.

But I can't help but always come back to all those threads for "duds" people had gotten and shared with us here.

Has anyone went thru a few copies before they got one they're sticking with -- or gave up on -- lately? Or has everyone gotten a "good copy" right off the bat?

Please share.
-thanx-

03-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had one since December of 2007. First used it on a K10D and was completely underwhelmed. Easy to cause purple fringing, and I had to stop it down a good bit before I got consistent focus. However, when I got my K20D, I slowly noticed that problems didn't occur with the K20D, and now it's my main walk around lens.
03-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm interested in this lens as well, simply because no other lens exist in this focal range with weather-sealing. I would love for Pentax to come up with a smaller and cheaper weather-sealed lens, but for now, that seems like a pipe dream.

You didn't mention SDM, which is another thing the 16-50 has going for it. Although it seems some people have problems with the micromotors failing...
03-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
I'm interested in this lens as well, simply because no other lens exist in this focal range with weather-sealing. I would love for Pentax to come up with a smaller and cheaper weather-sealed lens, but for now, that seems like a pipe dream.

I know quite some guys use the kit lens or even 16-45 in light rain or dusty areas without any problem. The kit lens is really cheap, I don't mind using it in pouring rain if I have to

03-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Only problem with that is that water can get in through the non-sealed lens into the camera if the rain is heavy.
03-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I know quite some guys use the kit lens or even 16-45 in light rain or dusty areas without any problem. The kit lens is really cheap, I don't mind using it in pouring rain if I have to
Yeah, well, I'm not talking light drizzle here...and if I understand correctly, water may leak through the lens at the mount and then into the camera, so shooting in pouring rain is probably not a very good idea.
Also, there is something to be said about the peace of mind of a truly weather-sealed system.