Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #1

Slippage/Slipping on FOCUS ring? 50mm SMC 1.7

I bought my first 50mm SMC 1.7 off ebay.

The focus ring slips, especially once it reaches the ends of close and infinity focus.

When it reaches the end, it can still keep spinning instead of stopping.

I assume this is not supposed to happen?

Also... should I get the 50mm SMC 1.4? Or be happy with a 1.7?

Thanks!

03-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
I bought my first 50mm SMC 1.7 off ebay.

The focus ring slips, especially once it reaches the ends of close and infinity focus.

When it reaches the end, it can still keep spinning instead of stopping.

I assume this is not supposed to happen?
It should stop once it reaches either end. It sounds like yours is defective.

QuoteQuote:
Also... should I get the 50mm SMC 1.4? Or be happy with a 1.7?

Thanks!
You may want to give SMC-A f/1.4 a try. SMC-A lenses work in all modes and allow you to use most of the camera's features, when their aperture ring is set to A(uto). Good luck.
03-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it just the rubber grip that is slipping? I'm not sure how they're attached originally (glue maybe?) but I've seen lenses where the rubber grip turns freely if the lens is at one of its stops. A bit annoying, but if that's the case the rest of the lens should function fine.
03-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
By the design of the M/A 50 lenses, I don't think you can keep turning the focus ring when it hits the limites (45cm or infinity), otherwise the whole lens group might fall out of the barrel

Maybe it's the rubber ring (which covers the focus ring) that keeps turning as Steinback said above? If that's the case, just glue it to the focus ring w/ a couple of drops of super glue

03-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
By the design of the M/A 50 lenses, I don't think you can keep turning the focus ring when it hits the limites (45cm or infinity), otherwise the whole lens group might fall out of the barrel
There's a screw that stops the focus ring. It's just above the orange diamond:

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Maybe it's the rubber ring (which covers the focus ring) that keeps turning as Steinback said above? If that's the case, just glue it to the focus ring w/ a couple of drops of super glue
That's the most likely problem and solution. If the lens is still focusing as you look through the viewfinder, at the correct distances more or less, then it's the grip. If you can move the focus ring and the distance markings without changing the focus, it's loose focus ring attachment screws. In that case, the ring will still hit the stop screw.

Here is the focus ring and the rubber grip from another M lens.