Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John Schick did ok with the Tamron 500mm on his Botswana trip.

More pics with the Tamron 500 are mixed in with the pics from Jon Schick >More Botswana Pics (Duma Tau) [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

03-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
John did very well with the mirror lens! Great image. Will check out the rest.

For benjikan:

Custom multi slit aperture. Lens Baby Composer, K20D. The possibilities are endless. Sorry for high jacking the thread. Different bokeh can be very useful & artistic.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
03-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
John did very well with the mirror lens! Great image. Will check out the rest.

For benjikan:

Custom multi slit aperture. Lens Baby Composer, K20D. The possibilities are endless. Sorry for high jacking the thread. Different bokeh can be very useful & artistic.
LOVE IT!!!

When are you gonna give me yours???

Ben
03-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Sorry, my Composer isn't going anywhere. You will have to get yours from Craig & Lens Baby. Might send you a few creative apertures. You really would go wild with a Lens Baby. Your head might explode with all the possibilities. Glad you liked the image. Thanks.
thanks
barondla

You can buy a 1" (25.4 mm for the metric crowd) round hole punch at an art store and punch out lots of blank custom aps from black art paper. Use other punches or an Exacto knife to make the the finished aperture. No two are alike.

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #16 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #17. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!

03-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
What, you mean horrible bokeh and OOF transitions like this?

(Super Takumar 55 f/2)

If you ever get to a "PinkBerry" frozen yogurt shop - this shot looks just like the window art they have in the store. This image has a very surreal Dali-esque quality about it - awesome shot! I think they should just enlarge this shot rather putting the window display that they have.
04-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I used to use mirror lenses quite a bit in the late 80's and will actually use my Tamron 500mm 55BB lens for a Fashion shoot.
Hi Ben!

I'm awaiting a Spiratone 500/8 cat w/matching 2X TC. I remember lusting after one of these in the '80's - loved the 2-page Spiratone spreads in Popular Photography. Anyway, 25 years later I finally found one. Now, if I can get shots 1/2 as good as the ones in this thread, I'll be happy.
04-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #52
Site Supporter

Yesterday I received a Russian 3M-5A (or is it ZM-5A? I've seen both names used) 8/500mm with a M42 thread. I didn't have much time to test it yet but so far it looks very promising.

A few handheld samples converted from raw with lightroom defaults.

The mandatory moonshot

100% crop

Some quick shots of the lens itself shot with a Russian M39 Helios 44M 2/58mm.

Next to SMC-A 1.7/50mm

04-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Great handheld shots... wish I was that steady. I went and picked up another Tokina 500mm f8 after selling my first one 4 months ago.

Last edited by ivoire; 10-04-2010 at 03:59 PM.
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #54
Site Supporter

Thanks ivoire, that Tokina was also on my list, but I found this Russian monster first (and for a reasonable price too).

Nice pics too, is the 2nd pic a crop from the first one? There seems to be nice amount of detail and good colours too. Did you PP much?

Even though this 3M-5A is heavy and big I found it easier to focus and to keep steady than a Makinon 8/500mm I had earlier. And the IQ is much better.

That moon shot is 1/30th of a second, i just leaned against the wall of my house.
04-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #55
Pentaxian

The Tokina is very light... hadn't thought of the weight as an advantage for handheld shots. Since I shoot raw, I can adjust the image prior to opening in photoshop. So, there is always a bit of PP. Yes, second is a crop. Looks like you have a very good lens. The Tokina with a case and 3 filters was $110. Decent deal.
If you shoot raw and don't have photoshop, give Faststone a try.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
04-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #56
Site Supporter

It might be that the size of the lens (77mm filter thread) makes it easier to hold and the weight makes it a well balanced combination with my K100D.

I convert from raw and do PP with Lightroom but my favourite lenses are the ones which don't require much PP (like this one).

Thats pretty close to the prices I've seen those Tokinas go on European ebay(s). I got this lens also pretty close to the same price (82eur) with filters but without a case or caps (incl shipping).
08-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #57
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
The Tokina is very light... hadn't thought of the weight as an advantage for handheld shots. Since I shoot raw, I can adjust the image prior to opening in photoshop. So, there is always a bit of PP. Yes, second is a crop. Looks like you have a very good lens. The Tokina with a case and 3 filters was $110. Decent deal.
If you shoot raw and don't have photoshop, give Faststone a try.

FastStone Image Viewer - Powerful and Intuitive Photo Viewer, Editor and Batch Converter
I have the Tokina 500mm f8 mirror, and so far IMHO it is a P.O.S. I can not get a sharp image out of it, I bought it new YEARS ago, and it is in mint condition.

I will take it out again and see how she does, if she gives me an attitude, she will be gone. I will probably then try the Rokinon 800 f8.

wll
08-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Do be sure to use a tripod or a fast enough shutter speed to avoid shake - and don't assume that 1 / focal length will necessarily be fast enough. That is just a rough rule of thumb in the best of cases, but I find it starts getting increasingly unrealistic at longer focal lengths. Aso, be aware that contrast from *any* mirror lens will be low, which will affect your perception of sharpness, even if the lens itself is otherwise sharp enough. So don't expect great images straight from the camera; you will want to do some PP. But that doesn't necessarily mean a lot of work. I have a preset that I apply to my mirror lens images that automatically bumps contrast and sharpness, and also applies some NR, since getting a fast enough shutter speed at 500mm and f/8 almost always involves higher ISO, and you don't want want to be increasing contrast or applying much sharpening if there is much visible noise - failure to pay attention to this is why a lot of people's mirror lens shots look noticeably grainier than one would expect.

While a lot of mirror lenses are undoubtedly *not* very good, I also am quite convinced they get a bum rap because people try to shoot them handheld at unrealistically slow shutter speeds and don't develp good PP technique for the images.

Here's a recent shot from what is reputed to be one of the worst of the mirror lenses, the Samyang-made 500/8 sold for $100 or so under the brand names Phoenix, Opteka, Vivitar, Quantaray, and perhaps others. In a whilrwind trip through Arches National Park the other day, we didn't have time to hike the trail to Delicate Arch, so we settled for the shorter trail to a viewpoint about half a mile away. Here's what that looks like at 500mm:

I don't care what they say, I think I'm keeping it.
08-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #59
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirror lenses take some practice and adjustment to get used to. Marc gave some very good advice. Even though the lens is light weight compared to the Tak 500mm f4.5 or even the A 400mm f5.6, shake can be an issue. I usually use a monopod bare minimum or a tripod and mlu.