Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

LBA: Da 21mm f3.2 ltd

Another addition to my bag. I still cannot believe that I bought this very lens I have been so critical of for the past 2 years (by observation).

Here it is. I took it to the street. Just a LBA first post from this lens.

It is not as crispy sharp as I have expected from a limited but the contrast and colour are very good.

It is a lens for street for sure. Difficult to use but a nice non-intimidating cute lens itself.

Its bokeh is neutral at best. Most of time, I need to choose to ignore the bokeh rendering.

Here are my snapshots!

Last one, I had to dampen down the contrast and colour saturation in this image! Aperture f4!

03-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i've said this before, technically, there really isn't anything spectacular about this lens, although some people like the way it renders. it has barrel distortion, not very fast, rather average sharpness out in the corners. but when you need a small wide, there's really no alternative.

that's not to say the lens can't take great pictures
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/46831-post-you...otos-here.html
03-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't mind these results - I think it would be a great street lens.
Other than the 31 ltd I couldn't think of too many other good primes in this focal range (perhaps the 28/3.5?)

Thanks for sharing James.
03-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #4

im starting to love this lens. for some reason the images are a little grainy. but for this focal length theres nothing that you can really get. i wish it was a bit faster

it's very useful for almost any shot though.

recent trip to potomac mills. since the lens is so small, i had it in my sweatshirt pocket with the 43mm in the other. i never used the 43mm once tho cause i was having too much fun with this lens.

Last edited by eyou; 03-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
just bought it and I love it. It has a lot of character, although it isn't the fastest lens or most sharpest.

But images are more about the content than the image quality anyways, right? And this lens can take in a lot of content!
03-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I'm quite enjoying the FA 28mm F2.8 that I bought from dugrant153 a few weeks back.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I don't mind these results - I think it would be a great street lens.
Other than the 31 ltd I couldn't think of too many other good primes in this focal range (perhaps the 28/3.5?)
Ha! Always strive for perfection

Guess what I have sitting on my K20D :-)

Can't wait to take it out for a spin!

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
just bought it and I love it. It has a lot of character, although it isn't the fastest lens or most sharpest.

But images are more about the content than the image quality anyways, right? And this lens can take in a lot of content!
03-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Guess what I have sitting on my K20D :-)

Can't wait to take it out for a spin!
HAHA... I knew it!! I knew it!! Kind of an addicting lens, isn't it?

03-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm. I bought a 21mm but haven't used it much. I bought it for travel figuring the Sigma 10-20mm, my go-to ultra-wide around home, is on the hefty side. Recently I've fallen in love with the Sigma 24mm 2.8 but that's MF so there's still a place for the 21mm in the kit. I really should take it for a stroll.
03-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Calls for a...

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
It is not as crispy sharp as I have expected from a limited but the contrast and colour are very good.

Its bokeh is neutral at best.
... different way of thinking about the organization of an image.

Since its DOF is deep, forget bokeh. Instead, you might consider composing the image from its background to foreground. Don't rely on bokeh to pop the subject with a fuzzy background. The lens really shines when the objective is to capture the space between background and subject.

For an example, see...

YouTube - Sam Abell Cowboy Photo

...my $0.02 cents.
03-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very valuable $.02, Michael: that video was really a revelation--thanks!
03-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

@eyou:

Looks like we are relatively close neighbors -- I'm in Gainesville. I haven't been to Potomac Mills in at least 3 years. Looks like the recession is taking it's toll on shopping. I can remember the crowds being so thick, you couldn't stire them with a pitch fork!
03-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Neat stuff; will have to try and remember that next time I'm looking through the viewfinder.

Cheers.

Jeff

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
A very valuable $.02, Michael: that video was really a revelation--thanks!
03-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
@eyou:

Looks like we are relatively close neighbors -- I'm in Gainesville. I haven't been to Potomac Mills in at least 3 years. Looks like the recession is taking it's toll on shopping. I can remember the crowds being so thick, you couldn't stire them with a pitch fork!
THis was the my first trip to that mall in almost 5 years. It certainly has changed. has lots of those hanging artistic lights and carpeted areas.

That shot was an exception. I liked it because it was empty looking that took between the waves of people, but all my other shots have much more people. Not packed wall to wall but a better representation. BTW i hate that mall and only went for a family outing. way too big and far away.
03-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Another addition to my bag. I still cannot believe that I bought this very lens I have been so critical of for the past 2 years (by observation).

Here it is. I took it to the street. Just a LBA first post from this lens.

It is a lens for street for sure. Difficult to use but a nice non-intimidating cute lens itself.

Its bokeh is neutral at best. Most of time, I need to choose to ignore the bokeh rendering.

Here are my snapshots!

Last one, I had to dampen down the contrast and colour saturation in this image! Aperture f4!

Looks really nice. I have used it on a few occasions and can say that with flash and optimum aperture it is tack sharp.

Ben
03-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Inactive Account

That looks positively delicious!