Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Purchase DA70 or keep using my DA*50-135?

After purchasing the DA40 Limited a year ago and purchasing the DA21 Limited just recently, I'm VERY VERY tempted to get the DA70 Limited.

However, I'm thinking that my DA*50-135 would suffice for that range, and I could use the money of the DA70 towards something else if I don't need it.

I was wondering if you guys could give me reasons to either KEEP USING the DA*50-135 or PURCHASE the DA70 Limited.

Either one I pick, I'll be doing lots of portrait style shots and some travelling with these lenses, as well as some street photography. I use the DA*50-135 during events, though... and it will continue to stay that way. SO am wondering if the extra expensive of the DA70 is worth it for the other stuff I plan to do.

Help!!

03-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #2

Well, I can not help you too much on this, I think that if you find yourself shooting a lot around 70mm when using the DA* and if you enjoy portraits then it worths it, because difference in size and weight is an advantage.

I have a DA* 50-135 and a Sigma 70mm macro and even so I am waiting for a FA77mm to arrive.... so...

Regards.
03-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I bought my 50-135 I told myself that I could recoup some of the cost by selling my DA70. I didn't realize just how large the 50-135 is and I chose to keep the DA70. In situations where you know the focal length you'll need is 70mm the prime is nicer to handle. It's up to you to decide if you want to use the money tied up in the DA70 for something else, but the 50-135 doesn't completely eliminate its usefulness.
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both the DA 70mm and the DA* 50-135.
As you said, the DA* 50-135mm is wonderful for events. Super-versatile and fast. But it's heavy. The optics of the DA* are a bit inferior to the DA 70mm in my opinion, but they are still quite good. Worth keeping.
I think the Limited lenses are fun to use and easy to manage. They are so small and pocketable that lens change hassles are minimized.
The DA 70mm is quite special, especially for more artistic non-event shooting environments like portraits, though it is also great for street work. The DA* on the street is too much for my hands. The combo 40 + 70 will serve you well for a long time (though I'd suggest that the 35mm + 70mm is a notch or two better. . .)
So, I'm not serving your objective well by saying both have a place in your bag.
Sorry

M

03-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies so far. The DA21 and DA40 combo is already serving me REALLY well. So it'd be interesting to add the DA70 to that mix.

It's a tough call as it seems that everyone is mentioning that both have their own place in my bag. Gah!!

Has anyone opted for the DA*50-135 for portrait and walk around over the DA70? Seems like everyone ends up getting both :P
03-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I to have both, and both are worth keeping, different lenses for different uses.
03-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Honestly, I'd buckle down and just save for the DA 70; it's a current lens and isn't going anywhere soon. Like Torphoto said, 2 lenses for different uses and ways of approaching your subject.

If you are doing events, you will sooner or later want that extra reach.

03-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #8

I actually sold my 50-135 in favor of buying the DA 70 for size and weight reasons others have already mentioned.

The DA* 50-135 is a fine piece of kit but I didn't see any point in holding onto it if I was going to have second thoughts about taking it anywhere. The DA 70 is so small and light I have no hesitations about putting it in my bag whether I think I'll use it or not.
03-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #9

I don't think there is an easy answer for you. It sounds like you are going to have to get the DA70 and see how much you neglect the 50-135, and at that point, you'll know what you want.

I'd like to have all of the limited lenses, but I've been trying to build a "most bang for the buck" kit, which is why I settled on the 50-135, sharp, fast, and very nice focal range.

Either way, I think you'll be happy with whatever you decide to do. Both are excellent lenses, it simply comes down to what works for you.
03-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha… ya know what? I think that may be the case. I’ll probably end up buying both and like both and then be in the dilemma of WHEN to use either!!

I had a chance to try it out (the DA70) and the feel of the pictures reminds me of the FA50 F1.4 that I just sold to try to fund the DA70. DOH! However, 2 things that really stand out for the DA70 over the DA*50-135… make that 3 things:

1) The sharpness of the DA70 is amazing. It has that “Limited” look that both my DA21 and DA40 have that make images pop out at you.
2) The compact size of the DA70 makes it much easier to handle and easier to carry around. The pop-out hood is kind of neat and small. I could throw the DA21-DA40-DA70 in a small bag and be done, where as the bigger DA*50-135 would need a larger bag.
3) The focusing distance for the DA70 feels much closer than the DA*50-135. I can be about 3 feet from an object and it will focus on the DA70. I usually have to be a bit farther away with the DA*50-135 in order for it to focus on the same object.

However, I love the DA*50-135 for the following reasons:

1) The image quality is flat out stunning. Not as mind-blowing as the DA70, but very very close. And this is for practically any focal length and even at F2.8
2) The ability to zoom is really nice when I’m stuck in one area and want to take a picture of something a little farther away. Or if I need a slightly wider angle all of a sudden, I just twist a ring!
3) The ability to create bokeh! I found that sometimes I’d have to angle and position things a certain way to blur the background the way I wanted with the DA70. But with the DA*50-135, I simply backed up and then zoomed in (to 80mm or 100mm or something) and I’d get that great bokeh effect.

I think part of the dissonance in my mind comes from spending money on a lens (DA70) that I “technically” already have (DA*50-135). I can’t justify the price of the DA70 when the images of the DA*50-135 are almost equally as good (and the only major major advantage of the DA70 is the small compact size).

For those that have both (or had both), when did you guys use the DA*50-135 and when did you use the DA70 Ltd? I think knowing when to use either MIGHT help me justify the purchase
03-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Have you considered the 77? Not anywhere near as light, but still compact, and sounds to me that the 70 might be just a little short for you (by the zooming to 80 or 100 comment). The images you get have a different quality to them (I know you love the DA colours, but you get those with... all your other lenses!), the bokeh is outstanding, opening up to 1.8 is definitely fun, and the sharpness is excellent, even from 2.0.

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Haha… ya know what? I think that may be the case. I’ll probably end up buying both and like both and then be in the dilemma of WHEN to use either!!

I had a chance to try it out (the DA70) and the feel of the pictures reminds me of the FA50 F1.4 that I just sold to try to fund the DA70. DOH! However, 2 things that really stand out for the DA70 over the DA*50-135… make that 3 things:

1) The sharpness of the DA70 is amazing. It has that “Limited” look that both my DA21 and DA40 have that make images pop out at you.
2) The compact size of the DA70 makes it much easier to handle and easier to carry around. The pop-out hood is kind of neat and small. I could throw the DA21-DA40-DA70 in a small bag and be done, where as the bigger DA*50-135 would need a larger bag.
3) The focusing distance for the DA70 feels much closer than the DA*50-135. I can be about 3 feet from an object and it will focus on the DA70. I usually have to be a bit farther away with the DA*50-135 in order for it to focus on the same object.

However, I love the DA*50-135 for the following reasons:

1) The image quality is flat out stunning. Not as mind-blowing as the DA70, but very very close. And this is for practically any focal length and even at F2.8
2) The ability to zoom is really nice when I’m stuck in one area and want to take a picture of something a little farther away. Or if I need a slightly wider angle all of a sudden, I just twist a ring!
3) The ability to create bokeh! I found that sometimes I’d have to angle and position things a certain way to blur the background the way I wanted with the DA70. But with the DA*50-135, I simply backed up and then zoomed in (to 80mm or 100mm or something) and I’d get that great bokeh effect.

I think part of the dissonance in my mind comes from spending money on a lens (DA70) that I “technically” already have (DA*50-135). I can’t justify the price of the DA70 when the images of the DA*50-135 are almost equally as good (and the only major major advantage of the DA70 is the small compact size).

For those that have both (or had both), when did you guys use the DA*50-135 and when did you use the DA70 Ltd? I think knowing when to use either MIGHT help me justify the purchase
03-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I own both, and would describe my use of each as follows. My primary uses of the DA 70 so far have been as the only lens I have brought to the outdoor playground with my wife and kids, and as a moderately long lens that I brought to an indoor birthday party for my son at a gymnasium/climbing type place (with my FA 35 along for the ride for wider shots).

The DA 70 is so small and light, and I think provides a very useful focal length for street shooting where you want or need some distance, or for my playground type use, where I got some great shots of my kids from just that extra bit of distance where I wasn't so close to them to affect their actions, etc. And indoors, while the 70mm is a bit long, it was usable and very versatile. But the bottom line is, to just pop on your camera and hardly know it's there when you're outside or being active, the DA 70 is hard to beat (well, except for the DA 40, which you also own). Forgetting about the 50-135mm, I chose the DA 70 for these purposes over my Tamron 28-75, which is smaller and lighter than the 50-135, but still much bulkier and heavier than the DA 70. Though the zoom of my 28-75 would have come in handy, so that is still a viable option as well.

As to the 50-135mm, frankly I bought it only a few months ago, which has covered almost my entire winter here in NJ. So I have had limited opportunities to use it, but I did take it to a botanical garden type place on a warmer winter day, where it was wonderful. The ability to zoom out to 50mm, and to zoom in up to 135mm, was and is obviously very useful, compared to the fixed 70mm. You just have to want to lug the 50-135 around, which was ok for me for that purpose, but which could be an issue in other circumstances. It could be a good street lens, but obviously the weight could be an issue, and it is pretty conspicuous and could be intimidating to others. But the photos from the 50-135 make it well worth the downsides. It just doesn't "replace" the DA 70 for me.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jeffrey r; 03-12-2009 at 12:20 PM.
03-12-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I mentioned, I use the DA* 50-135 professionally for event coverage. It is great for shooting people doing things from enough distance away so they are not conscious of your presence. It is also good for photographing people on a stage if you are in the press seating area.
I've tried it in formal portrait and studio type of situations and was less impressed. For fine art where skin tones, texture, shade, and lighting reign supreme I find zooms to be inferior to an excellent single focal length lens, especially the 70mm Limited.
So I'll keep the DA* and happily use it where it works best, but the DA 70mm has its own special place too.

M

[deleted]
03-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm thinking that my DA*50-135 would suffice for that range, and I could use the money of the DA70 towards something else if I don't need it.
Like what? That's a serious question, BTW. Assuming you didn't get the 70, what are you thinking next? Super wide angle? Super telephoto? Macro?

I ask because the answer might possibly be relevant. For instance, if you were thinking macro next, I might suggest the DA70 plus the D-FA100 would come close to replacing the 50-135 in terms of focal length range. If you were thinking DA*200, that might also mean you could consider getting by without the 50-135 - if nothing else, you mgith decide you seldom want them both with you for size/weight reasons alone.
03-12-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
pdo

If you have already own the 50-135mm then save your money and skip the 70mm. End this lens acquiring madness.