Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I've been into photography since the mid 1950s and I'm not easy on my gear and I have never had a lens fail on me.
I wasn't born till the 70s and I've had a lens come apart in my hands (from twisting too hard when a filter was stuck on a little tight). But not a lens from the 50s! As build quality (not just of lenses, but of virtually everything) plummets, getting the better built stuff will become much more important than it ever used to be, when everything was built to last forever. Now its a special feature if it's built to last beyond warrantee expiry.

That said, I'm hanging onto my FA 50/1.4, with no plans to pick up the DA*55. I'd love to nest in that niche, but it ain't gonna happen.

DW

03-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel-peeping all. Three does give very similar result when printed large A4-A3 size prints, and since i can't find Voigtländer lenses in my country at all fourth option could be Zeiss Planar T*50/F1,4 ZK but then it would be the most expensive 50mm primes discussion.
05-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #33

Fantastic lenses all of them.

I think I like the bokeh of the FA more.
The DA will feel better built and maybe better to handle/focus and is weather sealed.
But so far the FA seems the better deal.

Unless there is a significant different in sharpness, which there isn't, there not much "optical reason" to go for the DA.
05-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #34

thank you very much for this comparison. it was just what i was looking for except its missing one lens.

now please add the cosina 55mm 1.2 to your tests

05-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #35
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great work tcom, thanls for doing this. Like the others I agree that the optics of the DA* may not warrant the 3x cost difference. It's the sharpest lens of the group and well built. But I've taken a couple of FA's apart and the inside of the lens is all metal. The outside may not seem inspiring and certainly not like an old Tak but the inside will last.

So it comes down to wide open sharpness and WS. Looking at the yellow flower wide at f2.8 and the other at f1.6, the The DA beats the FA, which beats the Nokton in sharpness. The bokeh is best with the Nokton, then the FA followed by the DA*.

At f1.6 the DA* is significantly better and in a shot like that, the bokeh is just fine. With other backgrounds, it might be more frantic than the other 2 lenses. To the casual observer, this lens would produce the best image IMO. We're the bokeh nuts, not the 'untrained eye' (whatever that is).

For me, if this was an f1.2 lens, I'd find a way to own one now, as an f1.4 I'm sitting on the fence. The FA is a darn good lens. I'll probably get a DA* someday but there's no burning desire since the FA is so good.
05-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #36
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
thank you very much for this comparison. it was just what i was looking for except its missing one lens.

now please add the cosina 55mm 1.2 to your tests
There are a few other lenses which are in this league. The various Pentax f1.2's and the Planar. But the Cossina (I have owned one for awhile) is a fine lens that is a touch soft wide open but has a smooth bokeh and is closer to the Nokton than the DA*.
05-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Great work tcom, thanls for doing this. Like the others I agree that the optics of the DA* may not warrant the 3x cost difference. It's the sharpest lens of the group and well built. But I've taken a couple of FA's apart and the inside of the lens is all metal. The outside may not seem inspiring and certainly not like an old Tak but the inside will last.

So it comes down to wide open sharpness and WS. Looking at the yellow flower wide at f2.8 and the other at f1.6, the The DA beats the FA, which beats the Nokton in sharpness. The bokeh is best with the Nokton, then the FA followed by the DA*.

At f1.6 the DA* is significantly better and in a shot like that, the bokeh is just fine. With other backgrounds, it might be more frantic than the other 2 lenses. To the casual observer, this lens would produce the best image IMO. We're the bokeh nuts, not the 'untrained eye' (whatever that is).

For me, if this was an f1.2 lens, I'd find a way to own one now, as an f1.4 I'm sitting on the fence. The FA is a darn good lens. I'll probably get a DA* someday but there's no burning desire since the FA is so good.
I was thinking the same thing after an afternoon with the FA50 and DA*55 (I already owned the Voigt 58) Although properly used and focused, the Voigtlander 58 is infinitely sharper than the FA50 at 1.4 and 2.0 and 2.8.

In fact, it wasn't until having owned and used the DA*55 extensively for a 4-5 weeks that I began noticing and appreciating the subtleties of the DA*55. Not sure if I was going to return it for credit, because the value could have been used for other, more pressing needs. But I have to admit that this lens was well worth the cost, and this would be the first lens out of my signature below that I would re-buy at full retail (even in Canada, even with GST and PST) if there was a fire in my closet. I sold the Voigt 58, the bokeh can be more nervous and harsher with the DA*55 below F2.8 than the Voigtlander 58, but only in certain instances, in other instances there is no discernible difference. Once I dialed in the AF on this lens, cropped in at F2.8 and F4 was so impressive with detail that the DA*55 also dispatched for sale the FA50 Macro.

Another forum member who owns the voigtlander lenses borrowed this lens and wound up with a similar opinion.

I'm not dissing the FA50, the FA50Macro, the Voigtlander Nokton 58 at all, just that everything (except bokeh in certain cases), anything those other lenses could do, the DA*55 just did easier, and better.

After owning and using the DA*55, I'd be really pleased if Pentax were to go ahead with the DA*30 that was for a period of time on their roadmap. I'd sell the FA31 in a heartbeat if they could do what they did with the 55 in a 30 (or better yet, 28) focal length. Even if the 30 turned out to be more expensive than the 55. Which it probably would.
05-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

One other important feature of the DA*55 is the silent auto focus if used in video mode + sound on the new k-7. Something to think about.
Cheers for the review!

05-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #39

Yes, I agree with some of the others. The 55 has more sharpness but has slightly less pleasing bokeh. Seems sharpness and bokeh sometimes work this way. Bokeh of 50 and 58 seem to be about the same to me. Overall I am surprised with the results.
05-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

To my naked eyes, they all seem identical to each other. However, I know there are still differences shot in different circumstances.

Thanks for the great comparison shown here
05-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I did some shooting with my FA50 a while ago and I found it horribly soft until 2.8

Well, not that horrible I'm just used to the DA Limiteds I guess. It's pretty useable at f2. I'm in the process of getting a good lens hood for it though and I'm expecting an improvement.

Now I want a Sigma 50/1.4 or DA*55/1.4 for super sharpness wide open
05-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
For $200 (FA50) I won't worry as much about knocking it around as a $900 (DA*55) lens. 4 could go on me and I'd still be ahead of the game. I'm not like that however, I'm pretty careful about what conditions I bring my camera into.

heh... had a first knock test of 55*, last night I left it next to my cat on the ironing board ~ 1m or so above the carpet, and the cat off course knocked it down... but the lens if fine... passed the test with flying colors hew:
05-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
I was thinking the same thing after an afternoon with the FA50 and DA*55 (I already owned the Voigt 58) Although properly used and focused, the Voigtlander 58 is infinitely sharper than the FA50 at 1.4 and 2.0 and 2.8.

In fact, it wasn't until having owned and used the DA*55 extensively for a 4-5 weeks that I began noticing and appreciating the subtleties of the DA*55. Not sure if I was going to return it for credit, because the value could have been used for other, more pressing needs. But I have to admit that this lens was well worth the cost, and this would be the first lens out of my signature below that I would re-buy at full retail (even in Canada, even with GST and PST) if there was a fire in my closet. I sold the Voigt 58, the bokeh can be more nervous and harsher with the DA*55 below F2.8 than the Voigtlander 58, but only in certain instances, in other instances there is no discernible difference. Once I dialed in the AF on this lens, cropped in at F2.8 and F4 was so impressive with detail that the DA*55 also dispatched for sale the FA50 Macro.

Another forum member who owns the voigtlander lenses borrowed this lens and wound up with a similar opinion.

I'm not dissing the FA50, the FA50Macro, the Voigtlander Nokton 58 at all, just that everything (except bokeh in certain cases), anything those other lenses could do, the DA*55 just did easier, and better.

After owning and using the DA*55, I'd be really pleased if Pentax were to go ahead with the DA*30 that was for a period of time on their roadmap. I'd sell the FA31 in a heartbeat if they could do what they did with the 55 in a 30 (or better yet, 28) focal length. Even if the 30 turned out to be more expensive than the 55. Which it probably would.
For background, I bought Brian's Voigtlander Nokton 58. From what I had read about it, I wasn't expecting anything special in sharpness. However, it seems sharper than both my A50/1.4 and DA35/2.8 Ltd. Our VL58 is a really sharp lens (and/or copy). I can only imagine what the DA*55 is like to be worthy to replace this lens.

If this lens was an silver all-metal Ltd, instead of DA* there would only gushing about it. There is very little complaining that the FA43/1.9 is more than 2x the price of the faster FA50/1.4. There is little complaining that the FA31/1.8 is almost 3x the price of the FA35/2.
05-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #44
Inactive Account

I just picked up the DA*55 this week, having tried the Voigtlander before but not being massively impressed by it. I already own the M50/1.4 but can;t get hold of the FA50/1.4, so settled for the DA*55. Luckily it's a lot cheaper here than quoted in this thread - I picked it up for $470, but the lenses are assembled here.

It's monsoon season here now, so I'll take it out in the rain today and see how if perfoms!
05-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #45

that's a good price, but only a bit cheaper than in UK... for the first time ever US is getting ripped off on one lens, and I think this is mostly the reason for the uproar...