Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Persistent dust problem

Was doing a lot of shooting the other week in the open and the wind was blowing. On the K100D, I noticed while shooting light colored backgrounds I had specs of "trash" in the view. Got home, nothing on the shots themselves so it's on the mirror system somewhere.

I went ahead and checked the sensor and clean as a whistle. First I used the bulb blower, camera upside down, and got rid of a few specs. I then cleaned the shutter, both the front surface as well as the inside door of the shutter. Used the blower again to get the smaller convex mirror at the bottom that you can hardly see. I then cleaned the top, matte piece of which I believe to be the reticle as it has the [ [ ] ] on it??? It appears that the trash is on the other side of this. Any ideas of getting this out?? Again, it's not on the sensor and the shots are fine, but it has grown annoying.

Thanks for any and all input!!!

04-05-2007, 07:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hmm...I figure a dirty focusing screen is par for the course on an oft-used and well-loved lens. All my old cameras have them...

But seriously, I figure the fewer pointy objects and solvents going into the inside of the camera, the better. I've had to clean the sensor a couple of times (curse those frequent lens changes!), and I find it a harrowing experience. One false move, and...
04-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Cleaning the focusing screen . . .

Go here . . .

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/1386-cleaning-focusing-screen.html

Scroll down to my post near the bbottom of the first page . . . hope this help . . .
04-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks rprii. The K100D does have the frame around it with the tab, but the frame is plain steel not black. I tried to push the tab in but might not have pushed it far enough. Just straight back, correct? I'll try tonight.

04-06-2007, 06:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, for those wondering as I've seen posts of doubt about the K100D, you can remove the focusing screen. I took a small screwdriver, one of the ones in an electrical tool kit, and pushed the tab "IN" for several attempts before I tried pulling the tab "OUT". Dropped right down. Before I noticed the dust, from day one I thought there was a bubble or something at the top of the viewfinder. The screen itself has a small, almost wave, in it at the extreme top. Doesn't bother me as I have to look for that!

Now, I tried blowing the trash off for several minutes and various attempts to no avail. So, since I knew I could order a replacement and I had just cleaned my sensor with the Green Clean Sensor Swabs (Wet/Dry) I cleaned it with the sensor brush and then used a brand new anti-static dust wipe to clean hopeing for the best and planning for the worst! All dust is gone, still seems good and bright and, maybe it's just me, but the reticle seems more defined??? Took several shots last night at different times in the late evening with shutter speeds starting at 1/125 down to 1/05 and looks good and clear, correct exposure, etc. Read some posts about the extra care needed on this item, but the sensor swab and anti-static did a wonderful job.

Anyway, for anyone that wants to do this, it's not hard at all. There is a small copper piece that goes in before the screen (camera, copper piece, screen, metal screen frame, lens). Also, one side is matte, one side is shinny. But, a better way to remember is while you have the camera upside down, flash down or pointing away from you, the tab on the screen goes on the RIGHT hand side. Use a pair of tweezers to remove and re-install and you should be good to go.

Hope everyone has a safe and great Easter!

Last edited by GLThorne; 04-06-2007 at 06:29 AM.