Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma Pantel Lenses

I have an old K-mount Sigma Pantel 1:2.8 135mm telephoto lens that I bought for my K1000 back in 1982. I am planning on doing some experimenting with my K20D to see how it holds up, but my recollection is that this is a pretty sharp lens. I have been looking for some information on the Pantel line, but it is very scarce.

Instead of an aperture setting of f32, it has something called pan64, but I don't remember exactly what its claim to fame is. I would suspect to provide a very wide DOF, from 15ft to infinity based on the lens markings. It also has an integrated lens hood which slides up the barrel from underneath the focus ring.

It's a pretty good looking lens, I just have no recollection of whether it is supposed to be of high quality or a cheapo tele. Any info anybody has to shine some light on the situation would be grande.

11-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #2

It sure is a mystery lens. I just bought one on eBay for $13.50. It arrived in perfection condition with a Hoya 1B filter.
It's a very well built "M" class unit which looks as if it was made to use various adapters - mine has an adapter attached marked "For Pentax-K."
The lens like a charm on my K200d. Mine is not the version marked "Multi Coated" but since I got it for essentially the cost of the filter, who's complaining?
My indoor quick, hand-held flash shots of the cat, in full manual (the camera not the cat) resulted in very pleasing pics - not the sharpest in the world but then nothing I shoot hand held turns out very sharp! I haven't tried the Pan64 setting outdoors yet.
I've searched the net but can't find any specs or operating manuals for it.

PS Thanks for mentioning the integrated lens hood - I was thinking I was going to have to buy one!
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #3

Update:
I asked Sigma.com about the lens. Their reply wasn't very helpful.

"The lens aperture goes to F64.
You can get very deep depth of field.

Sincerely,
Sigma Corporation of America
Customer Service"

If the sun ever comes out around here I'll try the f64 setting outside (if even full sun will be enough to blow through that pinhole.

So far I find the lens very sharp.
03-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Interesting that someone else came upon one. Since I can't sleep, I did a closer inspection tonight and I don't think I'm really going to use mine anymore. There looks like a haze covering half of one of the internal elements, and there is significant dust inside the housing. THe aperture doesn't close symmetrically, and there are a couple of dings or smudges on the front element that I can't get off. I'm sure all this helps explain why the thing isn't very sharp. It also has no A setting. I can take the manual focus because I've always done that, but without the A, I miss a lot of shots because I'm thinking too much.

It's too bad because it has nice heft and feels good in the hand. Looks good on my bookcase though as a bookstand holding up all my photo books.

04-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Interesting that someone else came upon one. Since I can't sleep, I did a closer inspection tonight and I don't think I'm really going to use mine anymore. There looks like a haze covering half of one of the internal elements, and there is significant dust inside the housing. THe aperture doesn't close symmetrically, and there are a couple of dings or smudges on the front element that I can't get off. I'm sure all this helps explain why the thing isn't very sharp. It also has no A setting. I can take the manual focus because I've always done that, but without the A, I miss a lot of shots because I'm thinking too much.

It's too bad because it has nice heft and feels good in the hand. Looks good on my bookcase though as a bookstand holding up all my photo books.
Looks like you got the M42 version.

I just got mine yesterday for $50. It's an M42 version without the A/M switch so the aperture is always wide open. Will likely superglue the little stick to simulate the M mode. Will post more pics when I have it done.
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rae2 Quote
It sure is a mystery lens. I just bought one on eBay for $13.50. It arrived in perfection condition with a Hoya 1B filter.
It's a very well built "M" class unit which looks as if it was made to use various adapters - mine has an adapter attached marked "For Pentax-K."
The lens like a charm on my K200d. Mine is not the version marked "Multi Coated" but since I got it for essentially the cost of the filter, who's complaining?
My indoor quick, hand-held flash shots of the cat, in full manual (the camera not the cat) resulted in very pleasing pics - not the sharpest in the world but then nothing I shoot hand held turns out very sharp! I haven't tried the Pan64 setting outdoors yet.
I've searched the net but can't find any specs or operating manuals for it.

PS Thanks for mentioning the integrated lens hood - I was thinking I was going to have to buy one!
Can you post some picture of the rear of the lens? I'm interested in seeing what the adapter looks like.