Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i'll bump this thread to say that i had acquired a yellowed Super-Tak 50/1.4 sometime ago and finally decided to follow the instructions provided to de-yellow-fy it.
I placed it in the window out of the way, wrapped in foil(very important) and also within a ziploc bag to keep the dust off. It was winter, plus my windows are all treated with Low-E or Gila UV blocking film, so i knew this would take longer. Well, i just left it there for about 6 weeks and looked at it today and was amazed that the dark yellow tint is completely gone. I wouldn't be surprised if i gained back a stop of light.
cool!

PS - i had the rear element facing toward the light.
Weird:

I thought you were supposed to cover the rear element with the foil, and expose the front to the light.

But a UV bulb is a much quicker and more effective way to go.

Incredibly, none of my Taks have ever suffered from yellowing.

High cost, yes--but not yellowing.

04-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Weird:

I thought you were supposed to cover the rear element with the foil, and expose the front to the light.

But a UV bulb is a much quicker and more effective way to go.

1) i followed the procedure in post #6 of this thread, but either way should eventually yield results since UV light is UV light. Here in CA, a UV bulb seems like a tremendous waste of our precious electricity...we are that state that used to have scheduled blackouts and rate hikes/penalties for over utilization (we still have that).
2)Taks - actually, i think it isnt all, just a few specific models.

Last edited by mikeSF; 04-05-2011 at 07:09 PM.
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #33
Veteran Member

To deyellow or not, that is the question. Its kind of unique to have a lens that has yellowed from radiation, dont you think?
04-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
To deyellow or not, that is the question. Its kind of unique to have a lens that has yellowed from radiation, dont you think?
wha?! NOW you tell me...whaaaa!

04-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

That means they have been used and exposed to UV light. They only yellow when not used and kept out of UV light.

And the only Taks that yellow are the 7-element 50/1.4s and the 35/2.
04-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
wha?! NOW you tell me...whaaaa!
Think about it, how many years did it take for the yellowing to occur? And you want to destroy it so that you supposedly get a little bit of extra light?
07-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #37
Site Supporter

How girlie things can help us Pentax geeks?

I have not bothered much with my 50mm Takumar as it is mainly for my collection but this forum gave me an idea that I am going to try. My girlfriend has a nail-gel drier UV lamp which is a pro little piece. I'm gonna give it a go and see how my Takumar clears up.
07-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
I have not bothered much with my 50mm Takumar as it is mainly for my collection but this forum gave me an idea that I am going to try. My girlfriend has a nail-gel drier UV lamp which is a pro little piece. I'm gonna give it a go and see how my Takumar clears up.
while you're at it, you may as well paint the barrel of the lens hot pink, just sayin'.

07-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #39
Veteran Member

My 50MM Takumar is just slightly yellowed. It's more of a golden tone actually than a pee yellow like some I've seen. My pics do come out just a tad bit more warm than white, but actually I like that effect as I am not really a cold light person. It's nice actually when I am doing portraits with that lens. It ads a nice warmth to skin tones like using a bit of a warming filter in photoshop and I can easily correct the white balance if I feel I need to. The bit of yellow it doesn't seem to affect the light the lens gets at all. I probably wouldn't UV it unless it got a whole lot worse and it hasn't thus far in the several years I've owned it. I guess it would depend upon the particular lens and how bad it is, but I don't think a bit of gold is necessarily a reason to UV myself.
09-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I recently bought a 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar and it had significant yellowing. The lens is sunbathing near a window as I post this. But what I wonder is how fast is the yellowing (not de-yellowing) process? Does it take years of not being exposed to UV? Or months or less? Should I be done for the following years after this or will I have to de-yellow the lens regularily?