Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma lenses 150-500, 50-500 ?

I have the Pentax 55-300 mm zoom. It's clear, light and the picture I;m more than happy with. I use it for my walks trough prairie and forested areas. I'm always pleased with it's quick focus and end result.

On my K10D I understand the 300 mm is the equivelent to a 450mm on a film camera.

I've often wondered how good the Sigma 50-500 or Sigma 150-500 Zooms are in regards to clarity of picture, etc.

Are they auto focus on the K10D, heavy, light, well built, equivalent of the Pentax lenses I now use exclusively ?

I'm sure the picture quality must be top notch, as they are expensive lenses, but I've never used them so wonder what they are like.

03-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
*Not talking from personal experience* (unfortunately)

People generally prefer the BIGMA (Sigma 50-500), because its optical qualities are better (I guess?) and the zoom range is more versatile.
It's HUGE, really heavy (1,840g/64.9 oz.), and built to professional standards.
03-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have the Pentax 55-300 mm zoom. It's clear, light and the picture I;m more than happy with. I use it for my walks trough prairie and forested areas. I'm always pleased with it's quick focus and end result.

On my K10D I understand the 300 mm is the equivelent to a 450mm on a film camera.

I've often wondered how good the Sigma 50-500 or Sigma 150-500 Zooms are in regards to clarity of picture, etc.

Are they auto focus on the K10D, heavy, light, well built, equivalent of the Pentax lenses I now use exclusively ?

I'm sure the picture quality must be top notch, as they are expensive lenses, but I've never used them so wonder what they are like.
I have the 50-500.. it is HUGE.... and HEAVY!!! If I was going to do it all again I would get a 70-200 2.8 and a TC. CW on BIGMA is that it really isnt very usefull beyond 420 or so anyway. So with the 70-200 2.8 you have a really nice, fast lens, that will still reach out and touch something with a TC at about the same speed and usefull length as BIGMA. Filters for the 50-500 cost an arm and a leg as well. IMHO

edit: it is also a pretty slow focusing lens as well.
03-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

The bigma is one of those lenses people seem to either love or hate. It's very good at what it does, but what it does is not always what people want it to do.

Personally, they'll have to pry my bigma from my cold, dead fingers.

As other people have said, it's heavy - to the point where I can't handhold it for more than a few minutes at a time without having to take a break and rest my arms. Despite this I find it's easy to carry about all day, you can attach a strap to the foot of the tripod collar, flip it up and just sling it over your shoulder. It's also built like a tank.

QuoteQuote:
edit: it is also a pretty slow focusing lens as well
I can't say I've found it slow (when I lent it and my K10D to my Nikon using friend he commented on how quickly it focused ) - what are you comparing it to? It certainly wasn't slow enough to cause me problems when I took it to a Formula 1 race!

03-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrt10x Quote
I have the 50-500.. it is HUGE.... and HEAVY!!! If I was going to do it all again I would get a 70-200 2.8 and a TC. CW on BIGMA is that it really isnt very usefull beyond 420 or so anyway. So with the 70-200 2.8 you have a really nice, fast lens, that will still reach out and touch something with a TC at about the same speed and usefull length as BIGMA. Filters for the 50-500 cost an arm and a leg as well. IMHO

edit: it is also a pretty slow focusing lens as well.
I bought the origonal sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX when I bought my *istD. Since then I have added 1.4x and 2x Sigma TCs. every time I think about going longer, I look at the bigma, and decide almost instantly that it is NOT fast enough to replace my esixting options. With a 2X TC on the 70-200, I get 400mmF5.6, Half a stop faster than the Bigma, and on the K10 I have seen any point in accepting the need for a higher shutter speed (due to longer lens,) and loss of 1/2 stop on maximum apature. I know the K10D has image stabilization, but nothing helps sharp images more than shutter speed.

For me, the 70-210 plus TCs is a much better option, especially when you don't need the extra length, take of teh TC and get a whole bunch more shutter speed due to the F2.8 maximum apature.

as for image quality of the origonal 70-200 F2.8, I have referenced the link to these photos many times.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/187646-post19.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/208249-post1.html

I also have an option at 500mm, less than 1/2 stop slower than the bigma, specifically SMC 300 F4 and SMC-F 1.7x AF TC.

if you are reasonably close, it is a stand out.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106132-post4.html

for me, if I buy a new 500mm lens (or combo) it needs to be more than 112mm in diameter
03-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've never used a TC as I've always wondered if putting anoter piece of glass between the lens and the camera would degrade the picture quality. But then I always put filters on my lens for protection. I use the German B + W filters which are excellent.

After reading these posts, given that I'm happy with my Pentax 55-300 zoom, I wonder if Pentax or the aftermarket make a top notch TC that could be used with this lens.

My K10D and it's battery grip weigh a bit now and people are saying the Bigma 50-500 + 150-500 are heavy lens. As I do a lot of walking and carrying my camera out in the woods and I'm no spring Chicken....I'm starting to think that the weighty Bigma(s) might be too much for me .....Hmmnnn.

What do people think ?
03-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never used a TC as I've always wondered if putting anoter piece of glass between the lens and the camera would degrade the picture quality. But then I always put filters on my lens for protection. I use the German B + W filters which are excellent.

After reading these posts, given that I'm happy with my Pentax 55-300 zoom, I wonder if Pentax or the aftermarket make a top notch TC that could be used with this lens.

My K10D and it's battery grip weigh a bit now and people are saying the Bigma 50-500 + 150-500 are heavy lens. As I do a lot of walking and carrying my camera out in the woods and I'm no spring Chicken....I'm starting to think that the weighty Bigma(s) might be too much for me .....Hmmnnn.

What do people think ?
A TC on the 55-300 will not really do much good. The lens is already F5.6 and the AF requires a lens of F6.3 or faster to work properly. Even a 1.4x TC makes your lens F8, and too slow for AF to function.

another problem with most TCs is that they are 'general purpose". My sigma TCz are designed to work on a very limited selection of LOBG, FAST sigma lenses (and some pentax). They do not even fit on all lenses because the front element of the TC protruces into the ear of the lens, and would hit most lens rear elements.

Although limited in lens use, they perform exceptionally on those lenses

03-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
A TC on the 55-300 will not really do much good. The lens is already F5.6 and the AF requires a lens of F6.3 or faster to work properly. Even a 1.4x TC makes your lens F8, and too slow for AF to function.
Lowell, I have the 55-300 and use it with a 1.5 Kenko TC with no problem - AF is fast and effective. I've used this combo on both cloudy and sunny days taking pictures of Herons and Egrets at my local park. This lens (and combo) is rapidly becoming my favorite "lets go on a hike" lens. It's light weight is a real plus.

I also have the Sigma 170-500 lens - this lens doesn't get a lot of respect, but I've found it a very good performer. BUT, it really does require a tripod (or a monopod at the very least) to get decent performance. Occasionally, I've used it handheld , but I usually don't get a whole lot of keepers - although it works MUCH better now that I'm using a K200D instead of my old ist DS.

I have found an interesting way to use the 170-500 though. Two of my granddaughters are very camera shy and always seem to know just when I'm going to take their picture - and they either duck their head or turn away - frustrating!! I've used this lens as a portrait lens - albeit from a LONG ways away!! Works great - and they are totally unaware which gives me some great candids.
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chip

if you can get the AF to work with the 55-300 plus a 1.5x TC then you are lucky,

It is well ourside the normal quoted performance of the AF system.

The reason I caution against TCs on an F5.6 lens is that people are taking a risk.
03-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Chip

if you can get the AF to work with the 55-300 plus a 1.5x TC then you are lucky,

It is well ourside the normal quoted performance of the AF system.

The reason I caution against TCs on an F5.6 lens is that people are taking a risk.
People tend to insist that this is true, but I have yet to hear anyone actually say that their f/5.6 does not AF with a TC. In fact, my Tamron at 300mm f/5.6 was able to focus correctly the majority of the time with a 2X TC.
03-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Lowell, I have the 55-300 and use it with a 1.5 Kenko TC with no problem - AF is fast and effective. I've used this combo on both cloudy and sunny days taking pictures of Herons and Egrets at my local park. This lens (and combo) is rapidly becoming my favorite "lets go on a hike" lens. It's light weight is a real plus.
I thought to myself: This guy must definitely live somewhere south of me. And then I looked left of your post... Notice how the other Canadian noticed a problem with AF when using a TC, as did I. Your cloudy days are our sunny days.
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I go along with Chip. I use the 55-300 with a Tamron 1.4 TC and have no difficulty (so far!) Then again Australia is renowned for its sunshine, bright and hot!

Just went out and took this with above set up. Dull rainy day, hence water drops. I think it can be a very usable combination. I am not trying to prove anybody wrong, just showing what I have experienced.

A small amount of sharpening and about 40% crop (K10d)

Last edited by Bramela; 03-10-2009 at 11:32 PM.
03-11-2009, 06:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm the original poster and I'm in the prairies which in Canada have the most hours of sunshine in Canada.

I'm not sure why sunlight is an important factor with a TC ?

Is it because in the sunlight you have more light for a slow f stop or ...?

Thanks.
03-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm the original poster and I'm in the prairies which in Canada have the most hours of sunshine in Canada.

I'm not sure why sunlight is an important factor with a TC ?

Is it because in the sunlight you have more light for a slow f stop or ...?

Thanks.
Les, more light = better AF performance. I think it has to do with having better edge definition on objects in sunlight than in shadow. Tends to give the AF something to lock onto - I'm sure someone here can give you a much better answer!!
03-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I too have used a 1.4x TC with a slow lens (70-300 f/4-5.6). AF performance isn't great (hunts more than Elmer Fudd), but it does work in good light.