Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Question for anyone with a Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200 f2.8

I picked up a Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200mm f2.8 lens in really nice condition. It seems to function well. Autofocus is nice and sharp so no issues there.

I do have a question however about something that seems kind of quirky to me. the focus ring is a push pull type to switch from Auto to Manual. For me to be able to pull the fucus ring into the manual position I have to rotate the ring until i find the right spot before it slips into the manual position. Is this normal? It just seems to me that the focus ring should slip back into manual no matter what position the focus ring is in.

anyone with this lens or with experience with this lens? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

03-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It works the same way on my AT-X Pro 28-70 f2.6-2.8. I Agree a little bit quirky but not bad if you don't have to switch that often. The MF feel is pretty good for me when I'm in MF mode, and it's nice that nothing is turning under your hand in AF mode. I haven't used any other zoom with a similar clutch mechanism such as the FA* zooms so I don't have anything else to compare to.

So, that is normal, yet quirky, for the AT-X Pro lens. Too bad they couldn't have figure out a better way to get back into MF from AF.

-Jim
03-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you sir for your speedy reply
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just bought one of these a few weeks ago from the market place. The focusing behavior you describe is normal. I haven't had a good chance to put this lens through it's paces, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it.

03-13-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
Just bought one of these a few weeks ago from the market place. The focusing behavior you describe is normal. I haven't had a good chance to put this lens through it's paces, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it.
Mine is just a little soft at 2.8 but sharpens up nicely at 4. It focuses pretty fast, which is a definite plus. And colors seem pretty accurate. The thing is built like a tank so I dont think durability will be an issue. Overall I'm very happy with it.
03-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Same here with the AF/MF thing.

I far prefer using my DA* 50-135 over the Tokina due to sheer size and weight but for what I paid, it was a great deal years ago.