Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't have the others, but if you find an A 35-105, snap it up!

I also have a Tamron Adaptall 70-150mm zoom that is pretty nice. I think those are available used for under $40, but then you have to get a mount.

03-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Let's dial it back a bit, are you looking for a lens in that range because you need it or because there is a gap in your range?

Have you analysed what focal lengths you use most?
I haven't really made an analysis, but I find the 16-45 little bit short. Basically, I want something similar as I had in the film days - a 28 - 200 mm "tourist" lens but with better quality (that thing was handy but the pictures lacks that final sharpness I want). The short end is sorted out (the 16-45 seems to be a winner by reading this forum) but I need to add that short/mid-range tele part. The 135-400 on the other hand is little too big (physically) to lug around at my city walks and I seldom need that reach during city shooting (that I mostly do).

Anyway - thank you everyone for helping me out.

StevenVH - I actually saw that lens in a shop window yesterday. I may go there and grab it, it looks like a nice piece...
03-13-2009, 05:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Illuwater, if that is indeed an A 35-105 in the window I highly recommend it. The A lenses are beeeuitful and a joy to use. I don't know how the prices are there, but I paid the equivalent of @100 Euros for mine.
A quick look at the Lens Review DB will show only the A version is a constant f3.5, theres an F version that's well reviewed and there are a number of other lenses with similar range, but none as highly rated as the A 35-105.

gl and enjoy
03-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #19

Original Poster
I found one at eBay instead and saved about €50 in the process. The drawback is that I have to wait for it to arrive...

As I remember the shop price was about €190 (1950 SEK). Getting one for €100 would be like hitting gold - they are scarce (even at eBay they are hard to find). I paid €146 for the lens from a german seller. I hope it will perform - at least it is smaller than the Sigma 50-150 I'm looking for (saw that Sigma today, in Canon version, as I was out with a friend on some friday afternoon shooting in Stockholm). Still, the Sigma is at the list - need to sell off some other stuff first to raise some €€ first.

03-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Well congrat's on the find and I hope you don't have to wait too long. Let us know what you think of it too, please.

cheers
03-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #21

Original Poster
Got it yesterday - the shipment from Germany really surprised me (normally it takes about two weeks, this time it was only a few days). Well packed, the lens arrived in good condition. After a minor adjustment to the aperture coupler (the camera could not connect properly, the lend did not stop down at metering) the lens was tested ok. Today, I went for a afternoon shoot in the early spring Stockholm and I'm already in love. The pictures are just sharp all over the entire range and with nice colors. I think that Sigma will be a 10-20 instead... This setup (the DA 16-45 and the "new" 35-105) will be the standard configuration as it is compact enough to be taken with me to do some after-work shooting. I read that several complains about the weight of the 35-105, but - yes it is a sturdy piece of kit - I like it. It feels quality and I have no problems with carrying around (as it is mainly on the camera).
03-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Excellent, glad you're liking it. It is a little large and heavy, but it's basically impossible to get a fast zoom in that range and get small and light too.
So, where are the "early spring Stockholm" pics ?

cheers

Last edited by StevenVH; 03-20-2009 at 08:56 PM.
03-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #23

Original Poster
For the majority of them (and all other pics I produce), go to my Flickr stream.

But here are a few from yesterdays session (I hope I'm not breaking any rules with these):

All images selected are taken with the 35-105, at late afternoon when the sun begins to set. No post-processing done except for the resize (it takes away some of the sharpness).
03-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Nice, thanks. I haven't been to Stockholm yet, but looking forward to it.