Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA 35 Limited - Filter Incompatibility

Hey - just a heads up for those of you who own or are thinking of owining a DA 35: I ordered a 49mm "slim" B&W UV-Haze filter for my lens thinking it would be ideal for the unusual arrangement between the extendable lens hood and the lens cap. However, it turns out the filter's outside diameter is too large to allow extraction of the hood. I don't know about other, "non-slim" B&W filters in this regard, but the potential for incompatibility with B&W (or other filters, for that matter) is something to look out for.

Anyone used a "slim" filter from Hoya or someone else that doesn't inhibit extending the hood?

Jer

03-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Inactive Account

They're not 'slim' filters, but the B+W 010UV haze MRC works, and Hoya pro1 polarizer does not. Same as the 77mm.
Ryan
03-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You know, I forgot that the DA35 actually has a hood! I'll try my filters with it later
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryno Quote
They're not 'slim' filters, but the B+W 010UV haze MRC works, and Hoya pro1 polarizer does not. Same as the 77mm.
Ryan
Interesting, Ryan. I'm currently using a Pentax UV filter I bought in 1978. It works fine, but I thought a thin filter would do better. Shows what I know.

Jer

03-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Kei

I put the Hoya HMC UV filter on the DA 35mm, no problem using the hood at all.
03-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

B+W F-PRO CP works fine with the DA 35
03-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The kenko PRO 1D 49mm protector & UV fit perfect..

03-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #8

I use a Hoya Super Pro1 UV on my DA35 with no problems
03-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #9

A Heliopan 49mm UV works well on my DA 35mm macro. The case it came in was marked "slim" too.
03-14-2009, 08:19 PM   #10
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey - just a heads up for those of you who own or are thinking of owining a DA 35: I ordered a 49mm "slim" B&W UV-Haze filter for my lens thinking it would be ideal for the unusual arrangement between the extendable lens hood and the lens cap. However, it turns out the filter's outside diameter is too large to allow extraction of the hood. I don't know about other, "non-slim" B&W filters in this regard, but the potential for incompatibility with B&W (or other filters, for that matter) is something to look out for.

Anyone used a "slim" filter from Hoya or someone else that doesn't inhibit extending the hood?

Jer

That's not what bothers me; it's the fact I can't put on the UV filter and the lens cap all at the same time. I understand Pentax's desire to create the smallest, most compact lens possible, but IMO, that was an oversight.

Rob
03-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
That's not what bothers me; it's the fact I can't put on the UV filter and the lens cap all at the same time.
I put the DA35's slip-on lens cap right back in the box and replaced it with a clip-on cap instead. I've hated slip-on caps ever since the irreplaceable one for my SMC-K 15mm f/3.5 lens "slipped off" and disappeared many, many years ago.

The clip-on cap lives very happily on the UV filter which lives on my DA35.
03-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I know the B+W slim polariser filters have a larger front ring than the threaded ring to reduce the chance of vignetting with wide angle lenses, didn't know there was an issue with the single element filters.
03-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
I put the DA35's slip-on lens cap right back in the box and replaced it with a clip-on cap instead. I've hated slip-on caps ever since the irreplaceable one for my SMC-K 15mm f/3.5 lens "slipped off" and disappeared many, many years ago.

The clip-on cap lives very happily on the UV filter which lives on my DA35.
Interesting, why didn't I think of that lol?

For what it's worth, what size, what brand? Can you product link me?
03-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
For what it's worth, what size, what brand? Can you product link me?
I just picked up a no-name cap from my local camera store for around $5-10. You could just do a Google search for "49mm clip-on lens cap" and come up with some hits such as this one:

Lens Caps
04-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm glad I got off my arse and searched for this thread. This lens cap problem with limited lenses with filters has bothered me for some time. Ordered clip-on caps today and the Pentax sliders will rest back in the boxes in which they came.

Larry