Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

My newest (pre-owned) is not a Pentax

My old Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 bit the dust (a lever broke at the joint so the lens became a 2.8 fixed aperture lens ) and I've been out looking for a replacement.

There is a Pentax-A 100mm f/2.8 listed in the Marketplace, but the price is too high for my blood.

Today I found the replacement. It's not a Pentax, however:

Yup. It's a Nikkor-P Auto 1:2.5 105mm Nippon Kogaku. The only problem with it is the bent filter ring. Hopefully I can straight it out.

The lens is extremely easy to manually focus.

It works only in stop-down mode, similar to M42 lens, but without the need for an adapter. Av mode works great.

Some quick test photos, directly from the K10D, no post-processing:

F/2.5 (full-aperture) a building behind my office:

F/5.6 same building:

F/4: (a poster in my office):

03-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool! Nikon lenses have the added advantage (for me, anyway) that the focus ring turns in the same direction as Pentax.

The wide open image looks pretty good, so I think you have yourself a winner.

New Pentax slogan: You can use any of the 45 million Pentax lenses built...and all the pre-G Nikon lenses too just for kicks!
03-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #3

Did that trick too after reading about it at some other forum (dpreview maybe). A cheap Nikkor-F 135 was found and tested with success. Just had to be little bit careful as the lens did not lock, only friction is keeping it in place. Pentax is just amazing - what other camera can take that number of different lenses?
03-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Illuwatar Quote
Did that trick too after reading about it at some other forum (dpreview maybe). A cheap Nikkor-F 135 was found and tested with success. Just had to be little bit careful as the lens did not lock, only friction is keeping it in place. Pentax is just amazing - what other camera can take that number of different lenses?
Canon and Olympus for example both take more lenses .

03-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A thoughtful, creative solution to the problem! Pics look good too.
03-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #6
Forum Member

Is that a poster of Silicon Valley?
03-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I had a newer version of that lens on a Nikon F2 years ago. I always loved that lens.
03-13-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think I missed something--how does it fit on your camera?

03-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
PM me when you are tired of it. I may be skipping over the detail, is it in K mount? Lovely lens when test pictures are sharp across the edge. And you can you it in Av mode like M42 lens? I am losing you. And that certainly beats the stop down needed in M mount.

I recently read up a bunch of threads in dpreview with some great person showing all the tricks to turn a K mount lens to use with Av mode and matrix metering, I have to find it to study it in detail. But I see the poster in dpreview drill extra K pin hole to trick the digital bodies on contacts.
03-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
PM me when you are tired of it.
Over my dead body, my friend

The more I test the lens, the more I like it. It is sharp edge to edge at any aperture.

is it in K mount?
Of source not. It is in Nikon-F (non-AI) mount.

And you can you it in Av mode like M42 lens?
There is no linkage (electronic or mechanical) between the lens and the camera, I have to stop down the lens manually before taking the photo. This is similar to M42 lens. Av mode is more convenient for large apertures because I can focus easily. But if I want to use small apertures (f/5.6 and smaller), stop-down focusing becomes difficult. I have to focus and full aperture, then stop down (counting the "clicks" before taking the photo). So for small apertures, the "green" button method with PK mount lenses is more convenient.

But the nice thing about Nikon-F mount is that it does not require any adapter. The lens "kind of" locks, not as secure as true Pentax PK mount but pretty solid.

The amount of "lock" varies with lenses, however. I have a 300mm Vivitar with Nikon-F mount that does not lock very securely to the K10D.

But I see the poster in dpreview drill extra K pin hole to trick the digital bodies on contacts.
I did this to several PK lenses. But I don't think it's worth it. The "green button" method works just fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by two68s Quote
Is that a poster of Silicon Valley?
Yes. It's a map of Silicon Valley.

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
how does it fit on your camera?
The lens is "friction-fit" in the lcamera's lens mount, rotating a bit, about 1/4" at the periphery of the lens flange, just secure enough so the lens does not fall off. If the lens is large, I would not hold on to just the lens, or just the camera body, however.
03-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #11

Just a small note - turn the camera to manual focus before trying to fit the Nikkor. The driveshaft at the body mount could interfer with the lens (catching the small gap at the lens bayonet ring), making it impossible to fit (and maybe damage the shaft if force is applied). In manual mode, the shaft is retracted into the body, taking it out of the way (at least on the K200D, assume that the K10D/K20D does the same).
03-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried a Nikkor-P Auto 1:1.4 50mm Nippon Kogaku on one of my film bodies, but it wouldn't go on. Too much flange on the back. Ah well.