Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #46
Inactive Account

I only have 2 lenses, and that is DA* 16-50/2.8 and FA* 80-200/2.8. I would have to say 80-200 is the best. It's so sharp, the colour rendering is amazing and so is the bokeh. But according to this thread it's about time to get myself a limited lens?

03-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me it's fairly simple, my best and most versatile lens is the 43 Ltd.

It goes from digital to K mount film; it goes from soft to sharp, it does stone color/texture the best of any lens I have, wide enough to be useful on the street but long enough to do portraits.

While other lenses may be better in one aspect or another, mostly they are special purpose due to focal length etc.

In screw mount, my best lens is the SMC Tak 35/3.5....
03-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #48

I've have 3 lenses.

-Pentax DA 18-55mm
-Pentax-M 50mm F2
-Pentax-M 28mm F2.8

I'm trying not to use the 18-55mm, because I'm not really a fan of it.

So currently, my best/favourite lens that I have would have to be my 50mm and 28mm! I just love them both so much.

Someday, I would love that have a DA* 16-50mm.

-Isaac
03-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
"Ron Mexico" LOL, great handle! Don't see that much on camera forums.

My favorite lens I own in terms of image quality is the DA*50-135. My favorite in terms of utility is the Tamron 18-250.
You're the only one that gets the joke.
Haha

03-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lance B Quote
Sorry, I can't help you with "what is the best lens I own" as nearly every one of them is great in it's own way.

The FA31 is superb due to it's bokeh, sharpness, colour rendition and build quality. I use this lens for many applications due to it's opverall exemplary image quality and the fact that it is close to the "standard lens" FOV.

The FA77 is superb due to it's bokeh, sharpness, colour rendition and build quality. I use this lens mainly for portraiture due to it's colour and bokeh.

The FA43 is superb due to it's bokeh, sharpness, colour rendition and build quality. I use this lens mainly for portraiture but it alos is a great flower lens and general landscapes.

DA35 Limited macro. I use this lens as a macro due to it's sharpness and overall image quality, but it is also a great all purpose "standard lens".

The DFA100 acro. I use this lens for macro(obviously) as it is amongst the best lenses for bokeh.

The FA*28-70 f2.8. I use this lens for its brilliant image quality and it is versatlity for portraiture due to it's longish nature - 42mm-105mm equivalent on film.

FA*80-200 f2.8. What a glorious lens. Superb image quality for a zoom and can match primes. Can't use anything better where a zoom of this focal length is required.

DA*300 f4. If you need a long prime, there is no better.

DA14 f2.8. Even though I have the DA12-24, I use this lens many times in preferrence. If you require wider than 16mm, then this lens is superb.

DA*16-50 f2.8. Apparently there are bad copies, mine is excellent. If you require a zoom in this focal range, then this is the zoom to have. Sharp, great bokeh for a zoom and sharp.

DA12-24 f4. If you require a zoom in this range, then there is no better. A great travel lens and can be matched nicely with either my DA*16-50 or the FA*28-70 as a travel kit.

As you can see, there is no "best lens" as each is required for a specific purpose.

If I really had to say which is the best lens for the following *overall* criteria excompassing *all* these attributes:
Colour rendition
Bokeh
Sharpness
Contrast
Build Quality
Handling
Cost
Overall image results
Focus accuracy/speed
It would be a toss up between the FA*80-200 f2.8, FA*28-70 f2.8, FA31, FA43 and the FA77. I could not choose between them
Holy crap. Now that's what I call a collection of lenses.
03-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I get the most pleasing results from the Voigtlander APO Lanthar SLII 125mm macro.

(But for everyday, general use it would have to be the DA 40mm Limited.)
Wonderful shot.
Love the bokeh and colors.
03-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #52
Pentaxian

ohh god, I love that Lanthar!...after I get the 31mm f/1.8 LTD I am SO getting that lens..
03-14-2009, 07:50 AM   #53

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Its a toss up between the DA*50-135 and the FA50 1.4, both are brilliant and my faves, but I think the fifty edges it just, the bokeh is something else.
It's just too strange for me to see the steering wheel on the right side...

03-14-2009, 08:04 AM   #54
Forum Member

According to my skills with each lens, I'd say

DA*50-135 > DA 40 > DA 12-24

That might change in a forthcoming trip.
03-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RonMexico Quote
It's just too strange for me to see the steering wheel on the right side...
I agree. I'm a manual trans driver only (can't stand auto cars) and the thought of changing gears with my left hand seems way off. I know it's only because I haven't been exposed to right hand drive though...

c[_]
03-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ariahspam Quote
According to my skills with each lens, I'd say

DA*50-135 > DA 40 > DA 12-24

That might change in a forthcoming trip.
That makes me feel great, considering I just bought the 50-135 and it should be arriving soon.

Funny, I see you're in Lima, Peru. I was there a few years ago for my brother's wedding. Oceanside, it was beauitful. Cuzco and Macchu Picchu was amazing.
03-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #57

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I agree. I'm a manual trans driver only (can't stand auto cars) and the thought of changing gears with my left hand seems way off. I know it's only because I haven't been exposed to right hand drive though...

c[_]
Uh oh. It's been my experience that people who love manual transmissions love to race. Easy there, leadfoot.

Haha. Just kidding.
03-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #58
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ron, I wonder what you're after when asking for everyone's best lens... you're getting so many varied responses, as expected.

I'm surprised not to see too much mention of the Voigtlander 125 macro - that butterfly capture above is like a beautiful art painting with its breathtaking buttery bokeh.

My own answer to the question, limited to the lenses I have and have had before, would have to be the FA 77 ltd for overall best results, and the DA* 16-50 for most used/useful lens generally. The Tamron 28-75/2.8 would not be far behind it, though, and I've had brilliant results come out of the DA 10-17 FE and DA 12-24 for landscape shots.

So as you can see, each lens has its own unique flair and applications, which makes deciding between them very difficult.
03-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #59
Inactive Account

The Pentax M 28mm f/3.5.

42mm is as close to perfect as you can get to the human eye in terms of focal length. One of the sharpest lenses I have ever used. Contrast and color rendering is excellent. Very easy to focus. Made between 1977 & 1985.

And yes, I like it more than my FA50.

Last edited by ajuett; 03-14-2009 at 09:45 AM.
03-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA* 85mm f1.4

QuoteOriginally posted by RonMexico Quote
What's the best lens you own?
Is it your favorite? (I know sometimes it's not the same)

Considering the number of reviews and the rating, it looks like most people's favorite lenses are the DA 40mm, DA* 50-135, the FA 31mm, and the FA 77mm.

I'm a little surprised at how many people love the DA 40mm.
Astonishing optic - spectacular portrait lens. Fast, bright, and colour rendition is superb, as it is in all the FA* series (a factor often overlooked).

Cheers,
Cameron