Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #121
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I give up. Today my favourite lens is the SMC-P M 400mm f/4 "Dental" macro. One of I don't know how many Flicker Butterflies in my back yard last fall. They were everywhere. I am startled that I actually got one staying in place. They really live up to their name - they "flicker" around the yard like mad.

That is an amazing picture, congrats. Slightly subtle colors and great sharpness (considering their supposed "flickering"), but nonetheless very lovely.

03-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops!

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I assume you mean 100mm not 400mm.
Er, um . Edited the post to correct flying fingers. Thanks!
07-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #123

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
At this point, I really can't decide between the 50-135 and the FA 31.

Both are really great lenses.
07-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #124
Pentaxian

My best lens. Tough call and might vary depending and when you ask me. I responded earlier to this question and gave a different answer. I guess the lens which produces the images that please one most of the time is the criteria I would apply here. By all quantifiable measures my DA 70/2.4 limited should get the nod but it doesn’t. It is a great lens and is my only current lens from a technological standpoint.

The Pentax K 200/2.5 is a very close second. It is very versatile. I tend to shoot a lot of telephoto stuff and the speed of this lens combined with build and image quality places it very near the top.

But it doesn't have quite enough reach.

The lens which currently is providing me with the most fun and many of my favourite images of late is not one you might expect. It is an old Pentax M 400/5.6. It is prone to CAs and PF but it gives me the extra length I need to get the wildlife shots I enjoy taking. It has no AF or AE but I’m having a lot of fun with it at this time. I miss a lot of shots and it makes me work hard but every now and then…

it gives me something I find kind of special.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 07-20-2009 at 05:26 AM. Reason: typo
07-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a bad case of LBA.....I like scouring the internet for craigslist, used<city> and ebay and have ended up with some wonderful lenses.

I have a question.....what's up with the ~85mm focal length? I bought one SMC Tak as part of a package deal knowing it was suppose to be good but it blew me away(after I got used to it). I then saw k85/1.8 and finally a 1957 83mm/1.9.....I'm sure there are some duds but they live up to their reputation.... Even the 83 (which I thought would be a work in progress for Pentax) is terrific.

So far for wide....k30.......mid telephoto....120 or 105....(105 seems a little more consistent)....

I have alot of wides 35 Auto Tak, 28 SMC Tak, 28 K, 28 M...as that is what I usually shoot......the K30/2.8 is so far the best.....
07-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #126
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I give up. Today my favourite lens is the SMC-P M 100mm f/4 "Dental" macro. One of I don't know how many Flicker Butterflies in my back yard last fall. They were everywhere. I am startled that I actually got one staying in place. They really live up to their name - they "flicker" around the yard like mad.
Hi CR,

Did you mean a Skipper? I have photographed them many times - great subjects! You image has beautiful colors. They comprise of over 3500 species within their family of butterfly.

To save me time, I took this from Wikipedia: "skippers have the antennae clubs hooked backward like a crochet hook, while regular butterflies have club-like tips to their antennae and hedylids have feathered or pectinate antennae, giving them an even more moth-like appearance than skippers."

Here is my contribution to the skipper theme:

Sincerely,
Marc
07-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #127
Veteran Member

What is my best lens?: F50 f/1.7
Is it my favorite lens?: No, I think the FOV is a little too narrow for my tastes. My favorite lens would probably be the sigma 10-20, while not the most useful, I think it is more fun.
07-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #128
Veteran Member

best lens is the A 50 1.2. fastest pentax lens ever.
most favourite lens would be the FA 35 f/2.

07-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #129

As they say in the pool halls, "I don't own any dogs." I would like to think that all of my lens are the best, as all I own are primes, 9 and still adding. My favorite lens is what ever is on my camera.
07-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #130
Veteran Member

My best walk around zoom, although it's heavy is a Sigma 24 - 70 f2.8 (the last version)
My best closeup lens, while using extension tubes is a Super Tak 35mm f2.0
My best close up lens, using a lens reverse adapter is a Pentax M-mount 50mm f2.0
My best low light lens is my Super Tak 50mm f1.4
My best Bokeh monsters are my K-Mount 55mm f1.8, or my Zeiss 200mm f2.8
My best landscape lens is a Vivitar Series 1 28mm f2.8.

With the exception of my 200mm Zeiss I use them all on a regular basis.
I tend to leave the Zeiss at home most times due to it's considerable weight.

So in my case I don't own a single "Best" lens.
I just own several wonderful lenses used for their own special purpose.
07-18-2009, 11:12 PM   #131
Veteran Member

At the moment my best lens is my Sigma 10-20-love that wide angle as I really only do landscapes. BTW havn't seen too many references as to which lens is considered the best for landscapes?
07-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #132
Veteran Member

I recently bought a 50-135 (two actually, one for sale shortly to help pay for the other) and it is nothing short of awe inspiring! Yesterday, I shot at my cousins wedding, unofficially. I'm amazed at the detail the lens resolves. I have shots from which look like nothing, but zooming in gives a very useable crop. I love this lens! On the otherhand, I still get just as much satisfaction, if not more, shooting with my dirt cheap M50 1.7. The paid price difference of about £500 levelled!
07-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
havn't seen too many references as to which lens is considered the best for landscapes?
Like everything else Landscape lenses are subjective to what you like or require.
If your living in a region filled with mountains and close valleys then you'll need a wide angle lens just to fit everything in.

However if your living on an Island, where next closest piece of land is 20 miles away a 1,000mm lens might be best for your landscapes.
Some lenses have more contrast, or appear sharper. The list goes on and on.

It all really boils down to..... What works best for you today.
07-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #134
Veteran Member

My beloved Sigma 105mm macro
07-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #135
Veteran Member

A toss up between the 43ltd or the sigma 70 macro!