Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best lens (this week, anyway - <g>) is the F* 300/4.5 . . .

03-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
my working kit is the Pentax K 50mm f/1.2, FA77LTD and Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG

my favourite is the K 50 f/1.2 it's a spectacular lens, and I LOVE the speed, and the bokeh is phenomenal.

I'll be adding the 31mm f/1.8 limited to my collection soon...I have already ordered it.
Wow!

I don't know what it is but I love that shot. The blur and the colors....very nice!
03-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm stuck between the rock and the hard place...
I do own FA31ltd, and it's one excellent lens, but... haven't had it long enought to get shots that would rival those I got from my "little wonder"
you guessed it, it's DA40ltd. After comparisons on hair clips, dvds and surrounding buildings I have to say 40 underexposes compared to 31 and has cooler blueish tint (31 has just neutral bordering on warmer yellow/green). 31 has tad better resolution but when shooting from the same place it has bigger magnification so it offsets this. Other then that, it's much smaller, much lighter, focuses faster and is capable of using other hoods (hood/filter combination).
So, conclusion:
31 - I love the IQ, I love the FOV, I love the speed (f1.8)
- I hate the built in hood, could be lighter
40 - I love the sharpness, portability, I grew to love the FOV
- could be more neutral in rendering, over last 10months it gave many excellent keepers
Please don't make me choose between these two, if I was really pressed I'd say 31 is better lens, but I still use 40 at least as often, with results nearly or at least as good.
For now, I'm happy I have both and if somebody asks me what is my best lens?
It's the Limiteds

BR

PS: Ron, don't be surprised. Despite it's small size there is a lot to love on DA40ltd, you don't know unless you haven't owned it for a while...
I really had no idea the 40mm was that good.
Maybe I should sell my FA 50 1.4 and buy the 40mm.
I guess it really is that good.
03-13-2009, 06:55 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
Best lens is FA 35mm f/2. Nice and sharp, nice all-around lens on digital.
Favorite lenses for portraits: Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Both wide and tight have their uses.
FA 50mm f/1.4 is useful for more specialized stuff, but I dislike it's AF performance.
"Worst" lens is 18-250mm, but it is most versatile when going light.
I was so close to buying the Sigma 70-200 but for now I decided to buy the DA* 50-135. It should arrive early next week and hopefully it's as good as advertised.

I've also read great reviews on the FA35, to the point where I'm wondering if I should buy that lens, or the FA 31.

The more I think about it, the more my LBA grows.

03-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FA 77mm Limited

FA 77mm Limited

I know I know "Yawn, so boring", but the best results I have come from it...
03-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm pretty partial to the A*85/1.4.
03-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonMexico Quote
Wow!

I don't know what it is but I love that shot. The blur and the colors....very nice!
That was a photograph of Adelaide I took it after sundown I just wanted to see how my SMC 50mm f/1.2 would handle point light sources at f/1.2...and I was surprised by how well that lens handled coma...I have seen far worse from other lenses that aren't even half as fast.

03-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sheesh...you mean I have to choose ONE?

No question, the best lens I own is the Pentax FA 35/2. Sharp, good contrast, light, compact, and a fast aperture...what more could you want? On the other hand, some would say that the best lens you own is the one that give you the best pictures. In that case, my best pictures this last year have come from my Jupiter-9 85/2 and from my lowly Auto Rikenon 50/1.7.

Steve

(No aspheric low-dispersion rare-earth elements in those two...well, the Rikenon might have a little thorium...either that or it has jaundice...)
03-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

What's the best lens you own?
Is it your favorite? (I know sometimes it's not the same)

Considering the number of reviews and the rating, it looks like most people's favorite lenses are the DA 40mm, DA* 50-135, the FA 31mm, and the FA 77mm.

I'm a little surprised at how many people love the DA 40mm.
"Ron Mexico" LOL, great handle! Don't see that much on camera forums.

My favorite lens I own in terms of image quality is the DA*50-135. My favorite in terms of utility is the Tamron 18-250.
03-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Sigma 70

c[_]
03-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Right now, one of the following----> M 85 f/2, FA 77ltd, M 20 f/4, S-M-C Tak 50 1.4.

I'm fickle.

03-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was so close to buying the Sigma 70-200 but for now I decided to buy the DA* 50-135. It should arrive early next week and hopefully it's as good as advertised.

I've also read great reviews on the FA35, to the point where I'm wondering if I should buy that lens, or the FA 31.

The more I think about it, the more my LBA grows.
You can borrow my FA 35mm, kid! Just not from 3/22-3/28 when I bring that bad boy down to Miami.

I love the lens. Such a handy focal length on an APS-C sensor. I'm comfortable using it at 2.0. It's plastic, so it's not as well built as the ltds, but I haven't heard of anyone having issues with it being too fragile and breaking. I just bought the 16-45, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it performs. I can already see myself cycling between my three lenses.

Taken with the K10D and FA 35 at 1/15, f/2.0, ISO 400:
03-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Like Jay I can’t limit myself to one. It is like asking what is my favourite book or movie. It is hard to choose. If pressed I guess my best lens would be the one which produces the best results on the most consistent basis. This lens/lenses aren’t the consensus “best” lenses by the standards of this Forum but they suit me just fine. Of late my favourite lens would be one of the following: K 200/2.5, K 24/2.8, DA 70/2.4 or the K 300/4. For whatever reasons my best shots seem to come from this group. I suppose it is because they are the ones I use most often.

Tom G
03-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Sorry, I can't help you with "what is the best lens I own" as nearly every one of them is great in it's own way.

The FA31 is superb due to it's bokeh, sharpness, colour rendition and build quality. I use this lens for many applications due to it's opverall exemplary image quality and the fact that it is close to the "standard lens" FOV.

The FA77 is superb due to it's bokeh, sharpness, colour rendition and build quality. I use this lens mainly for portraiture due to it's colour and bokeh.

The FA43 is superb due to it's bokeh, sharpness, colour rendition and build quality. I use this lens mainly for portraiture but it alos is a great flower lens and general landscapes.

DA35 Limited macro. I use this lens as a macro due to it's sharpness and overall image quality, but it is also a great all purpose "standard lens".

The DFA100 acro. I use this lens for macro(obviously) as it is amongst the best lenses for bokeh.

The FA*28-70 f2.8. I use this lens for its brilliant image quality and it is versatlity for portraiture due to it's longish nature - 42mm-105mm equivalent on film.

FA*80-200 f2.8. What a glorious lens. Superb image quality for a zoom and can match primes. Can't use anything better where a zoom of this focal length is required.

DA*300 f4. If you need a long prime, there is no better.

DA14 f2.8. Even though I have the DA12-24, I use this lens many times in preferrence. If you require wider than 16mm, then this lens is superb.

DA*16-50 f2.8. Apparently there are bad copies, mine is excellent. If you require a zoom in this focal range, then this is the zoom to have. Sharp, great bokeh for a zoom and sharp.

DA12-24 f4. If you require a zoom in this range, then there is no better. A great travel lens and can be matched nicely with either my DA*16-50 or the FA*28-70 as a travel kit.

As you can see, there is no "best lens" as each is required for a specific purpose.

If I really had to say which is the best lens for the following *overall* criteria excompassing *all* these attributes:
Colour rendition
Bokeh
Sharpness
Contrast
Build Quality
Handling
Cost
Overall image results
Focus accuracy/speed
It would be a toss up between the FA*80-200 f2.8, FA*28-70 f2.8, FA31, FA43 and the FA77. I could not choose between them
03-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I guess the "best" lens would have to be the FA 31mm Lim, especially now that I've had it serviced and the AF front focus issue has been resolved ;-)

But my favorite lens might be something else... my Hartblei Super-Rotator 35mm f2.8 is an awesome lens, and my recent purchase Hartblei Super-Rotator 45mm f3.5 just might top it; we'll see.

I've also really enjoyed shooting with my Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50mm f1.8, so I'm really really looking forward to shooting with the Carl Zeiss Ultron 50mm f1.8 that I'll be receiving soon. If it can top both the Color-Ultron AND my Super-Tak 50mm f1.4, that just might end up being my best/favorite lens I own.

Just in terms of price, the Hartblei-Super Rot 45/3,5 is tops, no questions asked.