Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The Vivitar Series 1, 90mm f/2.5 macro lens was made by Tokina. Never by Komine. Tokina, later copied the desing and marketed their own version.

Left to right:
Vivitar Series 1 (Kiron model), f/3.5
Vivitar Series 1 (Tokina model), f/3.5
Vivitar Series 1 (Komine model), f/2.8-4
Kiron 70-210. f/4 with Zoom-lock

Regarding Viv S-1 glass. There are numerous (8) Series 1, 70-210 lenses. However, for the sake of discussion, we will deal with the first three. The following editions are nothing to seriously consider, so we will concentrate on the first three editions, which are the good one's. The 4th & 5th editions are also 2.8-4 variable aperture model's, but lacking in construction quality (Cosina built). Due to the fact that the third one is a variable aperture lens, (2.8-4) it will be somewhat sharper than a fixed aperture lenses. It is much easier to design and build a quality variable aperture lens.

The first edition was designed by Vivitar (Ellis Betensky of NASA Optics fame), had a hand in it, and it was built by Kiron. (67mm filter) It is a professional caliber lens, with a 1:2 macro feature built into it. It was the first zoom, designed with the aid of computers, that truly rivaled the OEM lenses of the time. That was in "76."

The second edition (my personal favorite) was built by Tokina, per, Vivitars specs. It too, is a fixed 3.5 aperture, but smaller, lighter and sharper. (62mm filter size). I really like it because of the fixed 3.5 aperture which is nice for focusing in dim light and long range flash work. However, not a true macro, 1:4 life size.

The third edition was made by Komine, and like the first two, is very well built. It is a 2.8-4 variable aperture lens, and the sharpest of the bunch. It has 1:2.5 life size macro from 100-210mm's, with a working distance of about two feet. Which can be quite useful. Can you see a discernible difference in slides taken with either one of them? No! Don't get caught up in bench tests. Any of the first three editions will give you professional-publishable images. I really like this lens, and over time, has become my favorite of the line.

Personally, I recommend the second or third edition of the line. I have and use all three of the first editions, and can highly recommend any one of them. Superb optics and construction.

Also, the Kiron 70-210 f/4, is a splendid performer.

QLP (Kiron Kid & MrVivSeries1)

03-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I recently picked ud two Vivitar zooms, a 80-200 f4 and a 28-200 f3.5. Both one touch manual focus.

the numbers are -
(28-200) 77701147
(80-200) 77509459

I don't expect they are anything special, I paid very little for them and they seem to be "OK" lenses.
But there's no trace of those serial numbers in any information I've found so far, in fact there's no information about the 28-200 at all.

Any ideas?
Those two lenses were made by Kobori, for Vivitar. Nothing special, but not dogs either.

Kiron Kid-Mr.VivSeries1
03-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
Thanks everyone for your responses so far. FWIW I have seen the other comments about Komine on other websites.

I think Kiron became part of Nikon but I don't know what happened to Komine. People really have a high regard for lenses built by Komine, though. They must have been doing something right.
Not so. Kiron (Kino Precisiion Industries) was originally founded by a couple of former Nikon lens designers. before they sold overseas, the were under the name of Panagor. When they decided to market their products abroad, they chose the Kiron name for doing so.

Kiron Kid
03-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
That Camera Quest link was quite interesting, thanks! It seems that the "mystery Vivitar" I previously asked about really is a Cosina as I thought.
Do you have a snap of your lens for iditification purposes? The latter made Vivitar (Cosina made) models begin with the #'s 0 or 9.

Kiron Kid

03-06-2010, 09:38 AM   #20
emr

Kiron Kid, I happen to have a version 3 Vivitar S1 70-210mm lens, Komine made with the SN starting 28 and all. However, it's not the Pentax version but originally for Ricoh, so there's no "A" aperture setting and there is (or actually was) the Ricoh pin. Is this supposed to be identical optically to the Pentax "A" Komine?
03-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #21

Kiron Kid, I happen to have a version 3 Vivitar S1 70-210mm lens, Komine made with the SN starting 28 and all. However, it's not the Pentax version but originally for Ricoh, so there's no "A" aperture setting and there is (or actually was) the Ricoh pin. Is this supposed to be identical optically to the Pentax "A" Komine?

Yes, it will be identical, optically. I believe that the Ricoh's and Pentax mounts are the same. Are they? You have a very good lens. Did you see my review (posted above) on the Vivitar S-1 70-210 glass? Also, the third (Komine) edition goes 1:2.5 in macro mode, which is really nice. And the quality is very good.

Kiron Kid
03-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #22
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by kiron Kid Quote
Yes, it will be identical, optically. I believe that the Ricoh's and Pentax mounts are the same. Are they? You have a very good lens. Did you see my review (posted above) on the Vivitar S-1 70-210 glass?
Yes, I read it, thanks. To my understanding the Ricoh mount is otherwise identical to the K mount, but PK/R has the Ricoh pin which can cause some Ricoh lenses to get stuck to a Pentax camera body. (And that's why I have removed the pin on mine even though this lens didn't seem to get stuck that easily.)

03-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #23
emr

I have yet another question about my Series 1 70-210mm Komine (Ricoh).

When I push the pump mechanism towards the 70mm extreme, the movement is fairly smooth. However, when I go to the other extreme and the "pumping" goes inwards, I get a "pneumatic" feeling. Meaning there's a little resistance like I was pushing air out through a small hole somewhere. How's this supposed to feel? Has my lens dried up somehow or this OK?
03-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #24

I have yet another question about my Series 1 70-210mm Komine (Ricoh).

When I push the pump mechanism towards the 70mm extreme, the movement is fairly smooth. However, when I go to the other extreme and the "pumping" goes inwards, I get a "pneumatic" feeling. Meaning there's a little resistance like I was pushing air out through a small hole somewhere. How's this supposed to feel? Has my lens dried up somehow or this OK?

EMR

It sounds as if your lens is performing normally. Keep in mind, that it is attached to a camera body and that when you zoom in and out, there are elements moving up and down the lens barrel. The air resistance is normal. Take it off the body, and without a body or rear cap on it, you'll notice less resistance. That's because there is an unimpeded escape route for the air to go.

Go out and make some shots with it. It's a very good lens. I used mine today to burn a roll of B/W film. Let me know if you'd like to see todays snaps I made with it.

Kiron Kid
03-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
Veteran Member

late in the game, but what the hell

I have two Viv's that I can't place according to the serial number scheme. One is a Vivitar Tele 200/3.5 # 72293 (M42). The other is a Vivitar LU 75/3.5 enlarger lens # 57313 (M39). Then there are some Viv 2x and 3x TC's with no serial numbers (M42 and Nikon-F), and who knows where the hell *they* came from? I'm not much concerned about the little guys, but that 200/3.5 intrigues me. A little. OK, so it's my fastest 200 and it weighs 640g, heavy enough to club a rampaging goat.
03-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a little off-topic, but I hope someone from the Pentax Forums grabbed this one:

Vivitar Series 1 f2,8-4,0 70-210mm for K MOUNTH LENS - eBay (item 140391494456 end time Mar-15-10 16:24:56 PDT)

I went back to grab it as a B.I.N. after confirming that it was the highly desirable 3rd version, but it was taken Great price!

Steve
05-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #27

I have two Viv 70-150mm one-touch zooms - one for my Pentax, the other for my Canon AE-1 Program. Both are sweet! Love them to death!

The serial for the Pentax is 22007xxx -

22=Kiron (Kino)
0 = 1970, 1980, 1990
07 = 7th week of its year of production (February)

The Canon flavor serial is 28034xxx

28=Komine
0 = 1970, 1980, 1990
34 = 34th week of its year of production (August)

What years did Kiron contract with Vivitar?

What years did Komine contract with Vivitar?

How do you determine the 3rd version of the S1 70-210?

Lastly - WHERE ARE ALL THE OTHER SERIES 1 VIVS????? Nearly all those I see all the time are the 70-210mm; rarely any of the others!

Come on, people! Turn loose of some of them!
05-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Lacyt Quote
I have two Viv 70-150mm one-touch zooms - one for my Pentax, the other for my Canon AE-1 Program. Both are sweet! Love them to death!

The serial for the Pentax is 22007xxx -

22=Kiron (Kino)
0 = 1970, 1980, 1990
07 = 7th week of its year of production (February)

The Canon flavor serial is 28034xxx

28=Komine
0 = 1970, 1980, 1990
34 = 34th week of its year of production (August)

What years did Kiron contract with Vivitar?

What years did Komine contract with Vivitar?

How do you determine the 3rd version of the S1 70-210?

Lastly - WHERE ARE ALL THE OTHER SERIES 1 VIVS????? Nearly all those I see all the time are the 70-210mm; rarely any of the others!

Come on, people! Turn loose of some of them!
Lacyt

There are 8 versions of the Vivitar Series 1, 70-210 lens. The first three are the good ones. Don't take that Vivitar production list that is floating around the Internet, as the gospel truth. It's missing some numbers and some of it is incorrect.

A portion of my Vivitar S-1 and Kiron lenses.

Kiron Kid