Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member
StevenVH's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 475
If manual focus is acceptable, I prefer A lenses and there's a really nice SMC A 100/2.8 for sale in the marketplace:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/51836-pentax-10...o-version.html

gl and hth

03-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 70
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Another suggestion is (if you DO want auto focus) the FA 100 f/2.8 macro, which is quite competitively priced but produces great images even wide open.

I've done a couple of concerts/conferences in low light situations - it allows you to be standing at a comfortable distance away from the stage, yet fast enough to be able to handhold, and I've been quite impressed with the results from this sharp lens.
Would you have some examples of the FA 100 f/2.8 I could see?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
A most splendid recommendation. Some 105/2.8 samples.
Those pictures Mike Cash are fantastic!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
another choice could be the Takumar 105mm f2.8 .
I've never thought about getting a Takumar lens before, so this may sound like a dumb question, but because it's a screwmount lens, would I need to buy anything else for it to work on my K10D?
03-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Steinback's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: GTA, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,672
For an M42 lens you will need one of these: PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter B (35mm Screwmount to Bayonet)

Depending on how you set up your adaptor switching back and forth between screw and k mount lenses can be a bit annoying but if you are just using one lens or one lens type (or permanently convert your screw lens to k mount) then that isn't a problem. Metering in manual and metering compensation can take a bit of practice with screw mount lenses; there have been a number of threads on metering with manual lenses in several of the sub forums here.
03-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
Veteran Member
StevenVH's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 475
Well, not to hinder an LBA episode, but what's wrong with your current lenses?
You've got a fast 50, you've got a decent fast zoom with the Tammy and you have the DA kit lenses which are both decent. The DA50-200 is @3" long so it would seem a good choice for the Lakers game too.
That being said, and not to belittle the quality of primes, I love fast zoom lenses for events and action shooting. The ability to change FL and recompose on the spot often means more options for capturing better images in my experience.
If I could have only 2 lenses I would choose the DA* zooms. If I could have only a 3rd I would add a fast 50-ish or 35-ish.

hth

03-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 835
Hadn't thought about the macro lens - that might be the best choice. And you have the ability to use it as a macro lens, besides. There are a number of macro lenses in this focal range that would be nice (I have the Viv S1 105mm, mine is an A lens so offers auto exposure).

I'm slowly becoming aware that I prefer primes over zooms, though the 50-135 is really nice. If I could only keep one of the two lenses, it would probably be the 77.

San Diego is a lovely spot - went to high school in La Jolla. I now work in LA but live further north.
03-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Miguel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Near Seattle
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,708
Well your existing lenses will serve you very well if you have good access to the stage. The 50mm can probably be used without a flash wide open, but I would have a good flash too. The 28-75mm is also excellent for on-stage shots and closer up crowd shots.

I shoot events professionally and have had fine results with the 50-135mm. The longer length gives you some more flexibility in position. You can also zoom in on audience and festival participants without making them self-conscious or aware of you.

While the 77mm is a super wonderful lens, the DA* will serve you better for this event and in the future. The 50mm will give you the low-light capability.

That all said, I think you should first purchase a very good flash and learn how to use it if you aren't there yet. It will enable you to obtain far better shots. Get a diffuser and reflector as well. A flash you can use with all your lenses.

M
03-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 70
Original Poster
Hello World!

Sorry for the late responses. I had Finals the past week and had to pull myself away from the forum in an attempt to study. But I'm free now! Free!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
Well, not to hinder an LBA episode, but what's wrong with your current lenses?
You've got a fast 50, you've got a decent fast zoom with the Tammy and you have the DA kit lenses which are both decent. The DA50-200 is @3" long so it would seem a good choice for the Lakers game too.
That being said, and not to belittle the quality of primes, I love fast zoom lenses for events and action shooting. The ability to change FL and recompose on the spot often means more options for capturing better images in my experience.
If I could have only 2 lenses I would choose the DA* zooms. If I could have only a 3rd I would add a fast 50-ish or 35-ish.

hth
To be honest, I love my current lenses, but I think part of me is aching to try out new lens. And I too love using zoom lenses for events and actions, however I sometitmes find myself reverting back to my 50mm for a faster glass on occassion and I think that's why I was looking at the 77mm. And with tthe Tammy, sometimes I feel like it's not long enough for concert pictures.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I'm slowly becoming aware that I prefer primes over zooms, though the 50-135 is really nice. If I could only keep one of the two lenses, it would probably be the 77.

San Diego is a lovely spot - went to high school in La Jolla. I now work in LA but live further north.
I love La Jolla. I go to UCSD but work at Downtown La Jolla in Prospect. The people are really nice there!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
That all said, I think you should first purchase a very good flash and learn how to use it if you aren't there yet. It will enable you to obtain far better shots. Get a diffuser and reflector as well. A flash you can use with all your lenses.
Funny you should suggestion a flash Miguel as I actually was looking into getting a flash before but thought the flash would not be ideal to use for concert photography.

I was going to purchase a lens then get a flash, but I might due the opposite and hold off on the lens because.... has anyone tried renting from Camera Lens Rental? I might just rent 77mm for the Lakers game and the 50-135 for the concerts and see how I like them before making the purchase.

Thank you again for all of your help. I really appreciate it and love this forum to death. Everyone is so helpful.
=D
03-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by cindaaalynnn Quote
Funny you should suggestion a flash Miguel as I actually was looking into getting a flash before but thought the flash would not be ideal to use for concert photography.
Depends on the concert, but in general, you are right. Many venues don't *allow* flash, and in many venues where you would be shooting from close enough to be considering flash, the flash is *extremely* annoying to the musicians (I speak from a *lot* of experience at the receiving end of flashes in my face here!), not to mention the other concert-goers. Also, flash often ruins the look of the stage lighting that may well be an important part of what you were trying to capture. But in certain types of venues, with certain types of bands, and certain types of lighting, those issues may not exist.

QuoteQuote:
I might just rent 77mm for the Lakers game and the 50-135 for the concerts and see how I like them before making the purchase.
I'm pretty sure you'd like the 50-135 for concerts - it's a *great* focal length range, and IQ from I've seen is fantastic. If I were shooting professionally, I'd get one myself and put up with the size/weight in order to avoid lens changes. But as a more casual shooter (albeit a fairly serious one), I still enjoy shooting with my smaller/lighter/cheaper primes, and I still recommend the M100/2.8 as a wonderful lens to start with if you have any qualms about the 50-135.


Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 03-23-2009 at 03:43 PM.
03-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #24
Senior Member
MacGirl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 183
QuoteOriginally posted by cindaaalynnn Quote
I was going to purchase a lens then get a flash, but I might due the opposite and hold off on the lens because.... has anyone tried renting from Camera Lens Rental? I might just rent 77mm for the Lakers game and the 50-135 for the concerts and see how I like them before making the purchase.
I was going to suggest that site to you but looks like you're already aware of it. I was seriously thinking of renting the 77 last year from them but chickened out, figured I'd love it and there was no way I was going to afford it. I took several photos last year at a couple of concerts I attended that allowed cameras with lenses no longer than 3" and my 50 did me proud (now I need to work on my technique more!). But as others have stated there were times I wished for more reach. I think you're on the right track renting those two lenses and shooting with them to see what you like. They are major purchases and it seems the time and money you spend upfront may help you make a wise decision in the long run.

You're welcomed to take a look at my first run at concert photography and my FA50 on my Flickr. Some are good, some not so good!
03-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member
StevenVH's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 475
I agree, renting is a great idea !

And 2nd what Marc said about flash at concerts. I got away with it a punk shows back in the day, but the only other times I've seen flash allowed was at designated photo opp's for the press.

Also, you can satisfy your LBA urge cheaply and get a great lens right here in the marketplace:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/54405-pentax-10...m-f-2-8-a.html

I've got dibs on the A 100/2.8, but the M 120/2.8 is a beautiful lens if you don't mind the M mode routine.

GL and I hope you post with your decision and some pics.
03-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #26
Veteran Member
heatherslightbox's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Gainesville, FL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,595
One thing I would suggest that you consider doing, is seeing about getting a teleconverter, just in case your choice of lens (50, 77, or 100) isn't quite long enough. A TC is small enough that it can easily be carried in a pocket, making it easier to get through security.

Heather
03-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 70
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I still recommend the M100/2.8 as a wonderful lens to start with if you have any qualms about the 50-135.
I'm actually looking into the M100/2.8, but can't seem to find it anywhere! If you happen to find it somewhere, please let me know as I would love to get my hand on one.

QuoteOriginally posted by MacGirl Quote
I was seriously thinking of renting the 77 last year from them but chickened out, figured I'd love it and there was no way I was going to afford it.
You're welcomed to take a look at my first run at concert photography
Love the pictures MacGirl! And I'm fearful that will be the same thing although I'm slowly saving up money for a lens.. haha Oh the 77 and 50-135 how they both call my name for very different reasons

QuoteOriginally posted by StevenVH Quote
And 2nd what Marc said about flash at concerts. I got away with it a punk shows back in the day, but the only other times I've seen flash allowed was at designated photo opp's for the press.

I've got dibs on the A 100/2.8, but the M 120/2.8 is a beautiful lens if you don't mind the M mode routine.

GL and I hope you post with your decision and some pics.
And thanks for the heads up about the M 120, I'll give that a look and see what I think about it. As for pictures and my final decision, I will definitely keep all of ya'll in the loop with my decision. Eep! I'm excited the game is in less than two weeks! AHH!

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
One thing I would suggest that you consider doing, is seeing about getting a teleconverter, just in case your choice of lens (50, 77, or 100) isn't quite long enough. A TC is small enough that it can easily be carried in a pocket, making it easier to get through security.

Heather
Thanks for the suggestion Heather! I'll definitely look into a teleconverter. I think, not quite sure, my dad may have one in his box of camera equipment. I want to believe there is one, but I don't want to jinx myself.
03-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #28
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by cindaaalynnn Quote
I'm actually looking into the M100/2.8, but can't seem to find it anywhere! If you happen to find it somewhere, please let me know as I would love to get my hand on one.
It's virtually always available at KEH.com, which is usually the first place I look. It's pretty often found on Ebay too and can often be a little cheaper, if you;ve got the patience for that sort of thing.

QuoteQuote:
about the M 120, I'll give that a look and see what I think about it.
Yeah, that's a very interesting choice - a compromise between the 100 and 135 that are both very useful. A 120 plus the 70 or 77 might be a better combo than the 70 + 100 + 135 I'm currently using, at least in theory.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
festival, help, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, pictures, purchase, slr lens, stage, tammy
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thanks for lens reviews and a suggestion glennm Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 07-12-2010 05:32 AM
Lens suggestion needed... deathspared Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 06-21-2010 03:09 PM
Graduation Lens Suggestion scathontiphat Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 05-16-2010 09:29 AM
Suggestion for a first lens upgrade andrea_rm Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 12-14-2008 03:32 PM
Suggestion for the lens database ftpaddict Site Suggestions and Help 4 03-09-2008 08:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top