Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lens Suggestion

HELP!!

Now that I have your attention I was wondering if ya'll can help a young gal out with a dilemma before I make a erratic purchase... I'm going to be taking pictures for my school's major festival [it's from 12pm-12am] and the Death Cab for Cutie show this upcoming spring. While I do have the 50mm f/1.4 and Tammy 25-75mm f/2.8, I'm having a sudden urge to purchase a new lens.

1. The festival is an all day festival, which means I'll probably be walking around the festival grounds taking pictures of the participants along with the performers on stage
2. I'll have access to the stage [both on and being in front of the barriers] which is always exciting for a short girl like me.

The problem lies... which lens to get now.

I was looking at the 77mm.. but it's only 2mm more than my Tammy [although 2mm does make a difference. somewhat], but the 50-135 is also appealing as well though I heard it is quite large and heavy.

Oh! And to throw another problem in, I want to take my camera with me to the Lakers game in April and sadly, lens can't be more than 3inches long. And because my seats are somewhat close (section114.. row11) the 77mm became even more ideal, BUT I'm not sure if it'll help me out in the long run if I'm going to be taking more concert pictures..

What to do!! 77mm... or 50-135mm.. OR any other suggestions? OR.. should I wait on the lens and just purchase an off-camera flash for all this business? [though it doesn't solve my Lakers issue.. but that I can work on.. haha]

Do I have your head spinning yet?

I appreciate the help!!!

Last edited by cindaaalynnn; 03-14-2009 at 05:02 PM.
03-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Does it have to be auto focus?
Maybe something like the M 85mm f2 would be a good compromise of Focal length and size
03-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nope doesn't have to be autofocus. I mentioned those two lens because those were the ones I kept reading about as I read through the threads from people with similar situations.

Any type of suggestions is more than welcome.
03-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Than I would probably look into something like the 85 F2. or any of the smaller 100's, that would give you the reach for your festival, but still be allowed at the ball game.
That being said, the 77mm is always recommended as its a great lens, the 7mm over the 70 is often more than people realise and its a lens that can do much more then the 28-75mm

03-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 2mm from 75mm to 77mm is not likely to matter much, but the extra stop of speed might, as would the size. Not just because of arbitrary limits of 3inches, but just because I generally prefer small / light lenses. So the 77 or the DA70 or M85 would all be great choices, assuming you could justify it seeing as you already have a the 28-75/2.8. If that's what it takes the get into the Laker game, I'd say go for it - unless a 50 makes even more sense? Not I don't shoot basketball so I have no insights there.

I think 70-85 is a great focal length for concert photography, depending on where you tend to shoot from and what type of shots you go for. I personally tend to sit or stand as close as people without press passes might be allowed, and shoot mostly upper body "portraits with instruments". My M100/2.8 is usually perfect, except for guitar, piano, and sometimes drums; there I want something wider. Anything 70-85 could potentially do that, and of course could be cropped to do what I'd want for others. On the other hand, your 28-75 can already do all that.
03-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may not be ideal but I expect your 50mm would work out alright at a basketball game if you are reasonably close to the action. The 50-135 is an excellent and fairly flexible lens, and while it isn't exactly small or light it still comes in at somewhere around half the weight of a 70-200 f/2.8.
03-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard choice! I have both the 77 and the 50-135. There's something about the 77 that is special, the 50-135, which is awesome, doesn't quite have it (and I can't define it). If it weren't for the Lakers game (I didn't realize that they would let any dSLR cameras in - good to know!) I'd say get the 50-135 for the extra versatility. And the 77 is faster, which comes in very handy in some situations. While the 50-135 is much heavier than the 77, it isn't a big deal (spoken by someone who's not very big either - like 5 foot).

03-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
mtngal, odd question coming here, but would you happen to know how long the 77mm is? (and yay for us small people! *high five* and I'm not sure if they technically allow dSLRs.... but I've gotten away with it for several Clippers game. I think once I was able to sneak my Tammy in... but with the 50mm on the camera of course.)

Marc, love your concert pictures on flickr.. did you use the M100 f2.8 for those?

And thank you everyone for the suggestions and the help so far! It's a lot of needed food for thought. Very very much appreciate =]
03-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I checked & most pentax legacy lenses 120mm or shorter meet the 3 inch (76mm) criterion. Like a K 120:2.8, or A 100:2.8

see: Pentax Telephoto Prime Lenses

The FA 77:1.8 is less than 2" long.

Dave
03-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cindaaalynnn Quote
Marc, love your concert pictures on flickr.. did you use the M100 f2.8 for those?
Most of the ones I've shot since getting it over the summer, yes. Of the concert shots I see on the first page or two of my Flickr photostream, I also see some M135/3.5, some DA50-200, and some DA40/2.8, too. If you hit "More properties" while looking at an image, it tells focal length, and you can pretty much tell which lens from that (eg, I'm not going to be using my 50-200 at 100 for concert photography).

I'll be getting a DA70 Monday and plan to use it a bunch next weekend. We'll see how that goes!
03-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 77 is about 2 inches from the mount to the end when collapsed. It has a built-in lens hood, and it extends when focusing. It's quite small compared to the 50-135.

And yes, it IS nice to see another small person shooting Pentax. If you are going to Lakers games, are you in SoCal?
03-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks Dave for the page. That was definitely useful and very informational as well. Very much appreciated!

mtngal. If you had to pick one of the lens to keep, 50-135 or 77mm.. which would you end up picking? I know not a fair question.

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
And yes, it IS nice to see another small person shooting Pentax. If you are going to Lakers games, are you in SoCal?
Yes I am! I'm currently in San Diego for school, but I'm from LA.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'll be getting a DA70 Monday and plan to use it a bunch next weekend. We'll see how that goes!
Let me know how it treats ya! I was looking at the 70mm at one point, but I couldn't justify getting it especially with the Tammy. At least with the 77mm... I can sort of justify getting that one.

Now that bwield and Marc mentioned the M-series, I can't help but start looking at those lens. Oh how my head is spinning. All these choices
03-15-2009, 03:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Unless you don't want Manual focus, another choice could be the Takumar 105mm f2.8 Yes a stop slower but has a longer focal length in a very small lens that IMO is every bit as good as a Limited series lens. (and I've owned 5). Otherwise if AF is more important, the 77mm is the lens to get.
03-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another suggestion is (if you DO want auto focus) the FA 100 f/2.8 macro, which is quite competitively priced but produces great images even wide open.

I've done a couple of concerts/conferences in low light situations - it allows you to be standing at a comfortable distance away from the stage, yet fast enough to be able to handhold, and I've been quite impressed with the results from this sharp lens.

Last edited by Ash; 03-15-2009 at 04:15 AM. Reason: spelling error
03-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Unless you don't want Manual focus, another choice could be the Takumar 105mm f2.8 Yes a stop slower but has a longer focal length in a very small lens that IMO is every bit as good as a Limited series lens.
A most splendid recommendation. Some 105/2.8 samples.