Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which lens to use

I have a K10D with the DA55-300 ad DA 18-55 lens. I was shooting at my granddaughter's birthday party with the 55-300. it was indoors and sometimes, and no matter what setting, I just couldn't get a good shot. it was either to dark or to light. I had the flash on. Should I have been using the 18-55 lens instead? I wanted close, but I guess the 55-300 had too much reach for this situation. Could I get a little advice here? I am a little new to this

Thanks

03-15-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i would've stuck w/ the 18-55.
the 55-300 is too long for the flash to reach...and not speedy enough to get away w/ hand held shots..(and too long)

I stay away from using long zooms on indoor shots...as much as possible anyway
03-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you're using the camera's pop-up flash - if that's the case, then definitely just use the 18-55 lens and either use green mode (if you're not confident with the settings) or set to f/5.6-8 with a reasonably high ISO, like 400-800.

Indoor shots are greatly improved if you have an external flash with tilt/swivel functions, though.
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerrys Quote
I have a K10D with the DA55-300 ad DA 18-55 lens. I was shooting at my granddaughter's birthday party with the 55-300. it was indoors and sometimes, and no matter what setting, I just couldn't get a good shot. it was either to dark or to light. I had the flash on. Should I have been using the 18-55 lens instead? I wanted close, but I guess the 55-300 had too much reach for this situation. Could I get a little advice here? I am a little new to this

Thanks
Much has to be said. My advice, frankly, is to study some of the main bases of the use of a flash (external) on a good manual/book camera. You could use flash
projecting towards the ceiling (if low) to diffuse the light.
If you do not want to use flash and want to exploit the light environment:
An advice: bright lens (at least 2.8), shooting in raw, exposure spot take over the faces with slight overexposure to keep details in dark areas (then, if you prefeer, you can increase the contrast working in pp)...etc...etc...

03-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all. Good advice
03-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Moved to lens section.