Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #16

OK, Let's hope the pre-production lenses all have BF/FF issue.
Or it has 1 missing glass inside.
So that's the reason the pics are soft.

kyrios

03-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #17

Original Poster
nice discussion - so far.
03-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adorama will take pre-orders on just about anything--I'm surprised they're not doing it for the mythical K30D ;~) I pre-ordered the Sigma 70-210mm 5 months before they were able to ship. I'm sorry, but there's no way I'd pre-order an untested lens at that price. I've got the Sigma: I can wait.
03-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I was waiting for this lens to be released and when i saw the price tag, thought about the 50-135mm, and went for the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8. The price of the Tammy was $619, which leaves lots of xtra cash for 'other things'. The 65mm gain over the 50-135mm and f2.8 advantage over the 60-250mm meets my needs. It is a very good lens and worth considering.

03-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I was waiting for this lens to be released and when i saw the price tag, thought about the 50-135mm, and went for the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8. The price of the Tammy was $619, which leaves lots of xtra cash for 'other things'. The 65mm gain over the 50-135mm and f2.8 advantage over the 60-250mm meets my needs. It is a very good lens and worth considering.
The Tamron 70-200 2.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 and Sigma 100-300 f/4 are three excellent lenses. It will be tough for Pentax to compete against those three.
03-19-2009, 03:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The dollar just went POOF yesterday (Thank you ben), now maby swedes will get some cheaper lenses.
07-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
Forum Member

Hey guys, what happened to this lens?
First there was the hype and now when it's here nobody talks about it.

07-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #23

Just got mine yesterday, haven't had a chance to play with it yet....when I do, i'll post some pics...
07-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dan aron Quote
Hey guys, what happened to this lens?
First there was the hype and now when it's here nobody talks about it.
This lens really seems to get talked about interspersed in other threads, as opposed to in its own dedicated threads. But from what I've read and seen, reports have been very favorable.

It is an expensive lens though, and somewhat specialized due to it size and weight, so it just may not have as much of a following as say the 50-135. But if this lens "fits" with one's needs and price tolerance, what a great option to have a fast 60-250mm lens (with weather resistance and great IQ).
07-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just come back from Safari. My pre- trip decision was what lens to take. In the end I went for my F*300mm. Great pics but I was often too close to get other than head and shoulders type shots of the animals. However. my wife was able to get some good shots too, using a DA 50-200 zoom. So the 60-250 SDM would have been the ideal for shooting from the vehicle. We intend to go back next year, and the 60-250 has just arrived, just before the price hike!!! It has already gone up by £300 since my purchase, last week!
07-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #26
Veteran Member

All right. Got mine the other day from Willoughby's via Amazon. Was the first lens I mounted on my K-7, I LOVED it. Awesomeness itself.

Today, I took it out and mounted it for the 2nd time.

AF doesn't work. Nada, nothing. No movement, no sound. MF works, as in, the focus ring works at all distances. But switch to AF, zilch.

Double checked with my 16-50, and everything is working as it should, so it's definitely the lens. Bummer. I need to get it replaced pronto, because I'm leaving the country on the 16th for 1.5 months, and the whole reason i bought this lens at this timing is for this trip!!!

ARGH, come on Hoya, this is a frikkin' expensive lens for these things to happen....
07-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

have u tried cleaning the SDM contacts on the lens?
07-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hmmm. I don't know how the contacts could get dirty enough as to induce an utter non-responsiveness after one use, and they didn't look dirty at all, but I did try wiping them with some alcohol on q-tips.

Strange, immediately after putting the lens back on, it didn't do anything, so I was like "OK, that's that"

Then, after a little while, it started responding very slowly... it started making high-pitch sounds, then focusing started to move, then it was taking 5-6 seconds to bring things into focus (admittedly in a dimly lit room), and after about a minute or two, it started responding more or less normally; speed about the same as my 16-50, just slightly slower (understandable, due to it being f4 instead of f2.8...).

I still can't help but think it's defective....
07-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Hmmm. I don't know how the contacts could get dirty enough as to induce an utter non-responsiveness after one use, and they didn't look dirty at all, but I did try wiping them with some alcohol on q-tips.

Strange, immediately after putting the lens back on, it didn't do anything, so I was like "OK, that's that"

Then, after a little while, it started responding very slowly... it started making high-pitch sounds, then focusing started to move, then it was taking 5-6 seconds to bring things into focus (admittedly in a dimly lit room), and after about a minute or two, it started responding more or less normally; speed about the same as my 16-50, just slightly slower (understandable, due to it being f4 instead of f2.8...).

I still can't help but think it's defective....
This is quite common with the DA*50-135 as well. Mine does it every now and then. A combination of contact cleaning (usually by mounting and demounting a few times) and movement of the focusing ring gets it going again. I did do an extremely careful microfibre + alcohol cleaning job on all the contacts, and it has been reliable for quite a while. I am still planning on sending it to Mr. Pentax just before the 2 year Cdn warranty is up.
07-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
This is quite common with the DA*50-135 as well. Mine does it every now and then. A combination of contact cleaning (usually by mounting and demounting a few times) and movement of the focusing ring gets it going again. I did do an extremely careful microfibre + alcohol cleaning job on all the contacts, and it has been reliable for quite a while. I am still planning on sending it to Mr. Pentax just before the 2 year Cdn warranty is up.

Thanks for the info. Well, I set up a swap with Willoughby's (told them they could temporarily charge my card again, provided they'll send over a UPS pickup and give me a full refund after they receive the defective unit). The lens will be shipped on Monday and get to my place by Wed. at the latest. I leave the country on Thursday, 7AM flight Keeping my fingers crossed that it'll arrive on time and won't be as problematic.

I guess I should take along a little thing of alcohol and microfiber, huh?