Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Advice please Raynox DCR 250 - US Seller

Looking for a bit of advice from Forum Members. Looking to purchase the above & a seller in US;

Ebay seller "vcc113" who trades as Video Camera Centre in Miami.

Anybody used this seller good or bad????.

regards

03-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Igilligan

I used them for some Step up adaptors and had a very good transaction with them.

What lenses are you going to be using the 250 on and what are you trying to shoot?

The 150 has less magnification but more DOF... just depends on what you are really wanting to shoot and what lens you are clipping it on...
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've dealt with them 3 times in the past several months, 2x step up filter adapter, 1x Hoya ND filter; even though I didn't feel compelled to give them a neg. or a neutral, my experience with them haven't been perfect. 1 of my feedback reads:

"Correct item. Arrived late, but I'll survive."

The other one, the Hoya filter (mind you, that was a $100 filter):

"Case arrived cracked; thankfully filter was unharmed. Better packing next time?"

So I think it's one of those outfits that deal tons of stuff so that things fall through the cracks; at the same time, they're probably decent enough that if something happens (like if my filter was actually damaged), they'll take care of you.
03-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Gus. I don't have a dedicated Macro lense - was going to try on Helios/Jupiter 85 & several of my Taks to see how they fare with insect/ flower macro shots. I find using extension tubes that I have very little DOF to play with.

Really a suck it & see approach. I don't have the funds to get my preferred Tamron 90.

regards

03-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try a aussie seller

Raynox DCR-250 Macro Lens $119

or amercian

http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-Macro-Scan-Conversion-Universal-Diameters /dp/B0002YBXBY US$53

Post some here when you can to see the raynox in action
cheers
03-16-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Gus. I don't have a dedicated Macro lense - was going to try on Helios/Jupiter 85 & several of my Taks to see how they fare with insect/ flower macro shots. I find using extension tubes that I have very little DOF to play with.

Really a suck it & see approach. I don't have the funds to get my preferred Tamron 90.

regards
Well I am sure you have seen my posts with the helios and jupiter 9 + raynox 250.

And I think the combo can do almost as good of a job as my dedicated macros. But if you look at those posts you also see that like with ext. tubes, the DOF is really shallow with the raynox too.

Here is that Helios thread... some of those shots have quite a bit of cropping
But check out the razor thin DOF...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51826-close-up-cacaphony...stuff-end.html

And the Jupiter 9 thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/40215-jupiter-9-macro-lens.html

You can get the the shots with combo, but like with all moving macro shots you throw away a lot more than you post
Even with a dedicated macro lens like the tam 90 (which is a lens I have always wanted)... stopping way down to F18/22 and using a flash will help with the DOF.

The pro's use a really nice macro flash system and a trick called focus bracketing. Way above my limited money/skills.

Flash is your friend... Cropping is your close-up buddy...

As I have mentioned before the Raynox 150 is a little easier to use only because of the less magnification and more DOF. But with the 58 and 85mm primes it makes sense to go for the 250 if you want really close up shots.

good luck