Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2007, 08:47 AM   #16
roy
Inactive Account
roy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: D/FW area, Tx.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,712
instead of the sigma 24-70 i think i'd be more prone to get the sigma17-70. or is it too slow?

04-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #17
Senior Member
wmmk's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 106
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
instead of the sigma 24-70 i think i'd be more prone to get the sigma17-70. or is it too slow?
The 17-70 isn't necessarily too slow, but 2.8 is unarguably a nice thing to have. I'll try both of these lenses at my local camera shop.

By the way, does anyone here know if sigma4less.com is legitimate? Their prices are considerably lower than those of adorama.
04-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
I dont know, but they dont have either of the lenses that I want in stock.
04-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
Senior Member
wmmk's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 106
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I dont know, but they dont have either of the lenses that I want in stock.
I see. Out of interest, which lenses exactly are the ones to which you refer?

EDIT: I've found out on other forums that sigma4less.com is in fact reputable. I can get the Sigma 24-70 (non macro) for $315 and the Tamron 17-35 for $290. Does this sound like the best pricing I can get for new equipment? I was also wondering if I should pay $80 extra for the newer macro of the 24-70. On a completely different subject, is there any good site for used photo gear other than keh.com?
Thanks everyone!


Last edited by wmmk; 04-07-2007 at 01:17 PM.
04-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #20
roy
Inactive Account
roy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: D/FW area, Tx.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,712
i've used sigma4less a couple of times. good experience both times.
04-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #21
Senior Member
wmmk's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 106
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
i've used sigma4less a couple of times. good experience both times.
I see. Thanks for the assurance. Now I'll just have to go find someplace to test out these lenses, and make sure that the good copies are good, then save up for them, then buy them, then make sure I am shipped a good copy, then get a good copy if my first is bad, then start actually using the lens. Won't this be fun!
04-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 668
QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
EDIT: does anyone know of software to plot the focal lengths of all the images in my library (on a mac)? I've seen some apps like this for windows, but none for OS X.
Personally, I'd save for a real computer
04-08-2007, 07:56 AM   #23
Senior Member
wmmk's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 106
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Personally, I'd save for a real computer
Awww, you're just jealous that I have a maxed out MacBook Pro with 256MB VRAM

04-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Alvin's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,530
QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
On a completely different subject, is there any good site for used photo gear other than keh.com?
Thanks everyone!
You can take a look at Henry's and compare prices there. More often than not they are higher priced than KEH, but once in a blue moon, you do find something worthwhile. They also sell other used items separately on ebay.
04-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,428
QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
By the way, does anyone here know if sigma4less.com is legitimate? Their prices are considerably lower than those of adorama.
Got my 18-50 there without incident.
04-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #26
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Islington, London UK
Posts: 206
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Personally, I'd save for a real computer
Pentax only made the K10D weather proof so you wouldn't ruin it with tears when you see my Macbook Pro.

04-10-2007, 04:31 AM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 668
QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
Awww, you're just jealous that I have a maxed out MacBook Pro with 256MB VRAM
QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Pentax only made the K10D weather proof so you wouldn't ruin it with tears when you see my Macbook Pro.

It's funny because you buy serious camera gear then buy toys for computers. Shame the toys represent such poor value next to a computer. And the 256MB video RAM doesn't mean much without knowing the chip behind it...
04-10-2007, 04:58 AM   #28
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Islington, London UK
Posts: 206
Of course you're right. There are many more Ford users than Ferraris so that makes Ford cars better...plenty more Canon users than Pentax so that makes Canon cameras better... come on now... you should know better!
04-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #29
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Estonia
Posts: 261
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
It's funny because you buy serious camera gear then buy toys for computers. Shame the toys represent such poor value next to a computer. And the 256MB video RAM doesn't mean much without knowing the chip behind it...
Young padawan, video ram (above the one needed for required resolution and color depth) doesn't mean anything at all for photo editing. Let's refrain from depreciating each-others equipment. There's always someone out there with bigger and better stuff.
04-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #30
Senior Member
wmmk's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 106
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aabram Quote
Young padawan, video ram (above the one needed for required resolution and color depth) doesn't mean anything at all for photo editing. Let's refrain from depreciating each-others equipment. There's always someone out there with bigger and better stuff.
Eh, we're just having some fun
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f/2.8, glass, hsm, k-mount, nikon, pentax lens, people, photo, photojournalism, sigma, slr lens, time, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax lenses prices Andrzej Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 02-26-2010 09:58 AM
help to find lenses lizamo1 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 02-25-2009 06:19 AM
Prices for new DA lenses ogl Pentax News and Rumors 24 01-29-2008 11:01 AM
How to find Lenses CowboyPookie Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 12-09-2007 10:22 AM
Where do I find old Takumar lenses? switters Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 10-26-2007 07:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top