Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Just won a Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm f3.8

Anyone have any experience with the above lens? Being Series 1, I assume it's good.

It's constant aperture, which is handy. Auction here.

03-16-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was watching this one but did not bid on it. Glad another member of the forum got it. Hope to see photos from it soon.

Enjoy!
03-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I figured there'd be at least one other PF member watching.

I need a nice - up until now, I'd been using a Rikenon 28mm f3.5. Night enough, but...

Well, 24mm is great, and the zoom'll really help me compose. Plus it's a Series 1!

I'll knock up a review for it in the 3rd Part Lens DB when I get it.
03-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

A shame they didn't make it a f/2.8. It's manufactured by Kiron, so it can't be bad

03-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Huh. I figured that Decode Your Viv's Serial stuff only worked on the 70-210mm, but there's no reason it wouldn't work with the other lenses.

I'm guessing these were all made by Kiron, as the production run was a lot shorter than the 70-210mm.

So, made by Kiron, in the first week of January 1978. So there's an big chance it was made by a technician still hungover from New Year's Eve.

The seller seems all right, although a bit too..."salesman-y" in his descriptions (ie, saying that an OM lens with fit Olympus cameras, with clarifying which cameras.)

And I'm kinda glad it's only f3.8, and therefore with a 77mm filter ring. I don't wanna be spending $140 for a polariser for it...

Apparently Vivitar often used these weird apertures to get the best optical performance, [/url=http://photography.suite101.com/article.cfm/vivitar_cult_classic_camera_lenses]rather than[/url] simply conform.
03-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an F 24-50mm zoom, and find the range very useful on digital. I hope this one works out for you, looking forward to sample shots!
03-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice catch! However, you'll probably have to use a dremel and file off that rear flange piece that sticks out the back about half a circle. It will hit the innards of the dslr. I think you can also take it off by unscrewing the screws at the side of the mount.
03-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, FP, Nick, but since it's only an f3.8 24mm, I'll only be using it on my ME Super (which I'll be is exactly the camera series they designed it for, since they were made at the same time).

Plus, it looks huge.

I am really, really, really, really, really looking for to getting this lens.

03-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I was also a bidder early on - I did ask if anyone had experience on the forum but got no replies. Tell us what it is like. Good to see a forum member picked it up.

regards
03-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, well it started off cheap. I'll do a review, for both the DB and in here (unless I'm too busy taking photos.)

I may have paid too much, but that's how it's always been with eBay - there're always people out there who'll nick bargains because they're ignorant or loaded. This week only, I was the latter. I was gonna use it to buy a 100' roll of film, but that film'll always be at Vanbar.

But normally I stay off eBay, because of the ridiculous prices people'll pay - K 50mm f2 for $90, that started off at $15? No. Half the Pentax stuff that goes on eBay could be had in the Photographic Trader for less.

I just really need a decent wide, and Kiron-made Vivitar Series 1 is pretty darn good. Probably not as good as a prime, but only slightly worse since it's only a 2x zoom.
03-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

He's a regular seller, I'm yet to win one of his items though. Maybe I'm just too much of a miser or his silver tongue descriptions attract too many bids. Enjoy the lens Lithos.
Can't say I have complaints about ebaying myself, a recent $22 score was a 50mm f2.9 Meyer Optix in polished aluminium. As long as the Ebay buys aren't over the top and the lenses have certain ascetic value she's happy for me to bid away.
03-17-2009, 07:09 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Little story, though, about how I came across the lens.

From this seller I won a Pentax MX. It's broken (mirror jammed halfway up) but I figured at $53 dollars plus repairs it'd still be a bargain. So I bought it, and then saw the link "View other items from this seller".

That's when I saw the lens.

Normally, I hate searching for "pentax lens" or "k-mount lens" because you get all those horrible Hong Kong dealers that flog shoddy close-up adaptors ("CLOSE UP MACRO LENS CONVERTER FILTER CANON EF NIKON F OLYMPUS FOUR THIRDS PENTAX K digital film 35mm camera"). But that's how I found it.

Here's hoping the MX is salvageable.
03-17-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Pentax section in Ebay is nowhere near as full of dodgy crud as the Canon or Nikon sections. Those el cheapo tele lenses have me kind of intrigued in how crappy a photo they must produce.
03-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Ebay is fine providing you ask plenty of questions, if the replies are dodgy or evasive don't bid.

We have 1 seller in Brisbane who consistantly sells Pentax for 50% more than I would pay, but I did buy a Genuine M42 Adaptor at a realistic price - so it is a matter of being careful.

I've just sold a lens & now the buyer does like it because it has oil on the blades - Hello!!!! thats how they were made in Russia in the 50-60's. No one was twisting his arm to bid twice what I thought it would sell for, and know he wants a refund.
03-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #15

Vivitar Series one lens is very sharp, worth every cents. but kind of heavy.