Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #1

medium format lens rental

looking to rent a medium format lens for my K200d. i've done some searching and really haven't come up with somewhere i would be comfortable renting from. does anyone have any suggestions?

03-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
jvweaver medium format lens rental

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
looking to rent a medium format lens for my K200d. i've done some searching and really haven't come up with somewhere i would be comfortable renting from. does anyone have any suggestions?
For which lens are you looking? A 67 or 645? Thanks
03-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #3

Just out of curosity, why would you put a medium format lens on a K200D. I am a newbie with a K200D so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
03-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Why not?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/49428-medium-f...20-sensor.html

03-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #5

I was just asking what the benefits were. I have very little understanding of medium format photography so I am also unware of the benefits of medium format lenses. I didn't mean to hijack a thread, I was just curious of the OPs intent.
03-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
monkeybear: I was just asking what the benefits were. I have very little understanding of medium format photography so I am also unware of the benefits of medium format lenses. I didn't mean to hijack a thread, I was just curious of the OPs intent
You can learn some at the above posted thread--see some shots too. I did not think you were hijacking the thread at all--it is a good question you ask. It was just easy for me to answer by posting this thread here, rather than going into detail.

Sorry, my short response above was in no way meant to be a negative reflection on you.
03-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've considered trying this but my LBA hasn't quite reached that advanced stage. I would guess that the major advantage would be an all-inclusive sweet spot. The negatives would be weight and clumsiness.

03-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #8

Original Poster
really not any particular reason other than curiosity and the fact that i can. and i had been looking into the 67, but i have not purchased an adapter so i could go either way at this point.
03-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
monkeybear
I was just asking what the benefits were. I have very little understanding of medium format photography so I am also unware of the benefits of medium format lenses. I didn't mean to hijack a thread, I was just curious of the OPs intent.
QuoteQuote:
RioRico I've considered trying this but my LBA hasn't quite reached that advanced stage. I would guess that the major advantage would be an all-inclusive sweet spot. The negatives would be weight and clumsiness.
It really is not called for, unless you already have some 67 glass or can fill a void in focal range with an inexpensive 67 lens. This is most likely to happen in the telephoto range. These lenses sometimes go very inexpensively.
03-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
It really is not called for, unless you already have some 67 glass or can fill a void in focal range with an inexpensive 67 lens. This is most likely to happen in the telephoto range. These lenses sometimes go very inexpensively.
Ya, I've seen some decent 67 prices. But my PK and M42 midrange teles (180-300) didn't cost much either, the priciest being: Vivitar Series.1 200/3.5, $52; Super Takumar 200/4, $37; Jupiter-21M 200/4, $24 new - all including shipping. Maybe the next time that 1) LBA hits me and 2) I have disposable money and 3) I'm back at my permanent address, I'll revisit eBay for MFs. Or maybe I'll just wander into the right pawnshop and be swept away, eh?
03-17-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

RioRico:
QuoteQuote:
Ya, I've seen some decent 67 prices. But my PK and M42 midrange teles (180-300) didn't cost much either, the priciest being: Vivitar Series.1 200/3.5, $52; Super Takumar 200/4, $37; Jupiter-21M 200/4, $24 new - all including shipping. Maybe the next time that 1) LBA hits me and 2) I have disposable money and 3) I'm back at my permanent address, I'll revisit eBay for MFs. Or maybe I'll just wander into the right pawnshop and be swept away, eh?
Yes, you are right. Pentax, with this incredible thing called backwards compatibility, makes all kinds of options available to us. The Medium Format, though by no means an obvious lens choice for DSLR, is just another choice for the user. The level of autonomy which Pentax brings to its user is why I hold the brand in such high esteem--it separates them from the competition.

I picked up the 67 165mm f 2.8, in Mint condition, with mint case & original packaging for under $90--shipped. I also bought the highly-rated 67, later model 55mm f4 and later model 67 200 f4mm, close focus model. If I ever get serious about extra large enlargements, I would likely go to one with one of these lenses for the absolute uniformity in image quality they brings to the table. Surely a niche lens!