Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shutterbob Quote

DA-21mm
FA-35mm
FA-50mm
DA-55-300mm

Thanks,
Bob
I'd pick these based on quality AND size. The 31 ltd is argued to be the best or at the very least one of the best ever made by Pentax. However, is there a size penalty with it compared to the DA 35mm ltd? You may have some opportunity for some close ups though and the 35 would be superb for flowers. I'd take the 4 lenses since one of them will be on the body.

03-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterbob Quote
Yahoo! - 9 Days in Maui can offer a lot of photo op's. Looking for advice on the best 3-lens arsenal to take on my trip. Don't want to be burdened with all of them. Here's what I have to chose from:

Pentax k10d
Samsung GX20 (probably take this one - a tad better on noise @ hi ISO)

DA-21mm
FA-31 Ltd
FA-35mm
FA-50mm
DA-10/17
DA-16/45mm
TAM- 18/75mm
DA-18/250mm
DA-55-300mm
Kenko 2.0x 7 element Teleconverter

I expect to concentrate on scenics in this order:

1. Landscape - beaches, waterfalls, road scenes
2. Flowers, birds, fauna
3. Archetectural

If any one has the time, I would ever greatful for your views on what 3-lens you would put in your bag given the above.

Thanks,
Bob
This is fun, and too easy.

DA 18-250 (for long and general purpose, also minimizes changes to reduce the number of times you have the body open.)
FA 35 for indoors and market places
FA 50 for portrait stuff of people

I wouldnt take the FA 31 because its too valuable for this kind of environment.

Enjoyed your test, Phil
03-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another note on Haleakala: Sunrise can be very busy, but you might have it to yourself for a sunset. However, the crater is typically more cloudy later in the day.
03-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

For sunsets, if you drive up to the upper lookout parking lot, There's a small trail that leads to a ledge on the side of the cinder cone that faces almost directly west. Great place to be if you want just the clouds and the sunset. It will also shield you from the worst of the the wind which can make it feel even colder. In any case, here are a couple from that location (Pu'u'ula'ula).

Here's one from sunrise at the lower lookout (Haleakala Visitor Center):

In regards to the lenses. I would also bring the DA 21mm as a 4th lens since it's so small.

03-19-2009, 09:26 AM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow Steve. You are obviously pro-grade. Your photos are superb! Thanks for sharing your special insights as well as your photos. The DA 21 is definitely in my trip plans.
Bob
03-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #36
axl
Veteran Member

as much as I don't really like zooms, from your kit I'd take 16-45, 55-300 and 31 if you only want 3 lenses

BR

Last edited by axl; 03-20-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: made huge typo!
03-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
AXL - Love the Hyde Park Misty Morn'ins

AXL,

Your photo gallery is terrific. Got such feelings of nostalgia looking at your work. We lived in Swiss Cottage London NW3 close to St John's Wood for 3 years. Do they still call St. John's Wood "The American Ghetto? Thanks for your recommendations. Love Jolly Ole England!

Bob
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I have to admit, I am partial to the 31mm Limited for my panos, in fact, two of the panos I posted previously were shot using the 31mm. However, I have found that the 21mm works well for my style of panoramics as well.

If you get a chance to stay in Hana, you MUST get up for the sunrise on Hana Bay. This one was taken right from the balcony of the Hana Kai Maui hotel.

If you like shots of flowers and other fauna, then perhaps you should bring the FA 50mm (but is it the macro version??) I personally use the Sigma 50mm macro, and I put it to great use at places like the garden at the Kula Lodge, Sunrise Protea, and Alii Kula Lavender.

Protea

Lavender

If you are going before the end of April, then it's still whale watching season. Even if you don't go out on a whale tour, there are plenty of places along the shore to see them and maybe even some calves. There are also a variety of colorful forest birds up at Hosmer Grove on Haleakala. You'd want your longest lens for this, so maybe the DA 55-300.

Whatever you bring and wherever you go on Maui, try to have some fun. Enjoy it as much as you can. I'm there twice a year, and I never get enough of it since there's always something new to see...

03-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #39
axl
Veteran Member

@ SHUTTERBOB
geee, thanks a lot. I'm actually thinking of "rebuilding" it get some fresher images...
As for St. John's wood, well hard to say, the only times I'm there are when on the coach to Stansted airport... sorry