Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #1

using 645 lens on DSLR

Before I invest in a pricey adapter that will allow me to use my old film 645 lens with my new K20D SLR, I would like to hear from anyone who has walked this path. Was it a good decision? Was the trade off of losing auto focus and metering capabilities worth giving renewed use to your old lens?

03-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Moved to lens forum, you will get more answers there.
03-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by dennis_weiser Quote
Before I invest in a pricey adapter that will allow me to use my old film 645 lens with my new K20D SLR, I would like to hear from anyone who has walked this path. Was it a good decision? Was the trade off of losing auto focus and metering capabilities worth giving renewed use to your old lens?
Hi Dennis,

Hi have used the *ist d with my 645 auto focus lenses and have been pleased with the results. I obviously didn't have auto focus, however the camera did meter for me. I have not used them with my k20 but don't see why you would have any problems.

Butch
03-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
dennis_weiser using 645 lens on DSLR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before I invest in a pricey adapter that will allow me to use my old film 645 lens with my new K20D SLR, I would like to hear from anyone who has walked this path. Was it a good decision? Was the trade off of losing auto focus and metering capabilities worth giving renewed use to your old lens

Dennis, I have not tried the 645 glass on a DSLR yet, but I do shoot with three 67 lenses on the K20. I am happy, and surprised with the results because many people tried to talk me out of it, saying the quality would be inferior. It turns out my lenses perform splendidly, though the 3 I use are all highly rated 67 lenses. There is some discussion, testing and pics here if you have not yet got to this thread. Best!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/49428-medium-f...20-sensor.html

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 03-17-2009 at 10:31 PM.
03-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Dennis if you already have the lenses then the adapter would be well worth the investment.

The 645 120mm f4 Macro lens really shines on the K20D.
03-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks to all. I think I will go ahead with adapter purchase and get more life out of those grand old lens.