Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens cap for the 49mm metal lens hood

I finally got one of those cool original Pentax 49mm metal lens hoods. It's the perfect complement to both my FA 50/1.4 and SMC 55/1.8.

Unfortunately, the 55/1.8 lives on a Spotmatic F, whose light meter is switched on by the mere absence of a lens cap.....

So I need a recommendation for a cap that fits the end of the Pentax metal hood. Any ideas/experience?

03-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to know that too. I have toyed with the idea of using one of those centre-pinch caps and pushing it inside the hood, but I'd be happy using something like the lid of a Pringles can if I could find something the right size.
03-18-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The official solution is to get a vintage Pentax metal cap to fit those lenses- 49mm in your case. When not shooting you reverse the hood on the lens and put the cap on it.

The battery drain when walking around with the cap off is not serious enough to worry about. Just don't store the SP F in a lighted area with no cap.

If you keep the camera in a closed camera bag you can get away without a cap.
03-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For only $2 delivered, you can't go wrong with this one.

03-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

what does this cool 49mm lens hood look like? doesn't it flare out so that you can't use a 49mm cap on it?
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
The official solution is to get a vintage Pentax metal cap to fit those lenses- 49mm in your case. When not shooting you reverse the hood on the lens and put the cap on it.

Here's my lens hood. It won't fit around the focus ring when reversed so that's not really an option. The stock cap will fit inside the hood, but it's a PITA to try to get out, that's why I might try the centre-pinch kind. A quick and dirty measurement shows that something like a 62mm cap might fit the end of the hood.
03-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Try looking for a generic push-on Kaiser lens cap at B&H. The B&H web site has measuring/fitting instructions.

03-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a good suggestion, thanks. I don't see the measuring instructions though, and they want $25 for shipping a $10 lens cap, but perhaps there's a local source.
03-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My hood is like the one pictured, only is just says takumar 1:1.8 55mm. The 58mm hama pinch cap I use on a different lens fits on the hood, but doesn't grip very tight. I use one exactly like soldbear posted in 67mm on a different hood and it grips very tight. It has more spring, and more surface area contacting the hood. I'm not sure the 58mm in this brand will grip better than the hama brand, but might be worth trying.
Ryan