Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

m42 lens question

I was wondering does anyone know is there an adaptor that will allow Takumars and other screwmount lens to be used on a canon (specific model is the older canon rebel XT) also I dont assume there is one that will allow Kmount correct? any info would be appreciated also does anyone know if picture quality is the same as on a pentax?

03-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let me google that for you

Let me google that for you

03-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I was wondering does anyone know is there an adaptor that will allow Takumars and other screwmount lens to be used on a canon (specific model is the older canon rebel XT) also I dont assume there is one that will allow Kmount correct? any info would be appreciated also does anyone know if picture quality is the same as on a pentax?
Both are available on ebay. I recommend that you get them with AF feedback chips which will greatly aid in focusing.

Get a K->EOS adapter that has no lens and will focus to infinity.

Old Iowa Dave
03-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes they are available. I think there is an adapter to put an M42 lens on just about anything.

03-18-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the stuff i have seen on the web indicates that the aperture lever has to be removed in order to use a Kmount on a canon if this is correct even with the adaptors its not something recommended if you are not planning on only using it on canons correct?
03-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

As far as I understand, any K mount used on a Canon body must have the lever removed for use.

goshotcamera on ebay offers a nice M42 -> EOS adapter for about $15 (used to have one).

AF confirm chips are pretty worthless from all I've read. What's worse is the Rebel series' tiny viewfinders...but this whole conversation is pretty much why I'm here right now
03-19-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
AF confirm chips are pretty worthless from all I've read. ....
I had a Canon Digital Rebel & used m42 lenses with an AF confirm chip. The chip made the system easy to focus. I used it successfully on many occasions and my son is now making productive use of m42 lenses on a Canon using AF feedback.

What negative comments did people have about AF feedback adapters?

I found them equal in utility to the focus feedback provided by my K100D.

Dave
03-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
the stuff i have seen on the web indicates that the aperture lever has to be removed in order to use a Kmount on a canon if this is correct even with the adaptors its not something recommended if you are not planning on only using it on canons correct?

I think many of us use K-mount lenses in stop down mode on our Pentax DSLRs; removing the lens' aperture control lever would be ok in that case. But cutting the lever isn't necessary for all Canon bodies I think.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Maas , Jul 10, 2006; 02:47 p.m.:
The only easy adaptations are to Canon EF-S mount (Digital Rebels, 20D, 30D) and to 4/3rds mount. You can't adapt K mount to plain EF/EOS mount as the aperture linkage will interfere with the mirror.
Dave

Last edited by newarts; 03-19-2009 at 05:05 AM.
03-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
I had a Canon Digital Rebel & used m42 lenses with an AF confirm chip. The chip made the system easy to focus. I used it successfully on many occasions and my son is now making productive use of m42 lenses on a Canon using AF feedback.

What negative comments did people have about AF feedback adapters?

I found them equal in utility to the focus feedback provided by my K100D.

Dave
I felt like I was "awakened" when I first looked through the K10D's viewfinder, after having the 300D for almost a year. Side by side...just no comparison. The focus confirm on the K cameras is nice although I've learned to trust my eye. Even with AF, I still second guess the focus.

Here's a thread discussing AF confirm chips. The "consensus" seems that the lens should be or stopped down to f/2.8 to be most accurate. I never tried one with my old Canon because they were expensive, first...and didn't seem reliable enough, second.
03-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

Here's a thread discussing AF confirm chips.....
There seem to be two sides in that thread. People who say the focus confirm chips work and those who say they don't.

My experience is that the chip "works". Actually the chip doesn't do anything but let the camera know there's a lens in place. The focus detect mechanism has nothing to do with the lens; it is a phase detect system inside the body. It beeps when the light phases are correct at the sensor.

Consider the fact that it works with a canon EF lens in manual mode; you twist the focus ring & the camera beeps when you reach focus - just like the m42's.

Any focusing error I ever had with my Digital Rebel 300D in this mode I think was just sloppiness on my part; It was really easy to overshoot true focus by going too fast.

I'll continue to recommend such chips for Canon use & add a weak disclaimer to the effect that not all people find them satisfactory.

Thanks for responding,
Dave
03-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Just for reference (if anyone is following this or searching later on), what brand/ebay seller adapter do you use?
03-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's just a stupid little ring. Doesn't really matter where you get it.

20 bucks total tops.