Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Took a chance, now I have questions

Trolling e-bay, and stumbled on what I think may be a deal.

I should mention that I have been looking for a faster 50mm. I have the Pentax M 2.0. I would love a 1.4, but not enough to pay for it. I also didn't want to pay too much for a 1.7... it's just not that much faster.

However, I ran across a two lens auction for a 100-300mm Sears zoom f 5.6 and an M 50mm 1.7. I won it for $20. + $10 shipping.

Here's where I wonder if I have an issue...

The description says: "some moisture within the elements of the 50mm and some haze within the elements of the zoom lens."

The seller says use these for parts... but he also says they look like they are in good condition except for the above mentioned issue. Pictures don't show the issues.

1- Moisture... like condensation? The images of the lens looked clean enough. What would the moisture be? Oil on blades? ideas?

2- Is the haze going to be fungus? I don't care much about the zoom, but it would be nice to play with it, or even turn it for a little cash. How would you remove fungus?

For $30, I figured it worth a chance, but if these are real issues, and they can be fixed... help would be appreciated. I will know more when they get here.

slinky

03-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a very detailed write-up of how to take apart the Pentax-M 50mm f1.7, with photos. I plan to post it in the articles section eventually. PM me if you don't see it there. Zooms are complicated. I don't always win with zooms - but you certainly will end up with a whole box full of parts.

Haze can be fungus, but fungus is usually splotches. It can mean oil deposits on lens elements, glued elements separating (unlikely in a Sears zoom) or a manufacturing problem with coatings.

Auctions where they imply problems without photos of the problems give me a headache.
03-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Without having looked at the lenses, it would be hard to know whether those issues will affect image quality. I would have avoided buying lenses with obvious problems, but it would be good for you to post some images taken with the lenses to show us how they come out.

Photos on eBay can be deceiving... moisture can lead to fungus and removing it is quite involved.
Do learn from the experience - you'll find, though that investing a little more into getting good quality gear in good condition is very worthwhile.
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, I saw the auction of which you speak and I didn't bid.

IMO, there are some issues that are easier to fix than others. Fungus, in a prime lens is usually not too bad. I disassemble the piece and clean the elements with windex, vinegar, or the like and reassemble. Sometimes fungus that has been in a lens a long time leaves behind etchings.

However, haze or "moisture" or fogging can be worse. I suppose it could be condensation on an inner element but I've not seen it before. Usually haze or fogging is element separation or coating degradation and that's pretty much fatal in my experience.

Also zooms I've found are except for the rare exception very hard to work on, primes are much easier.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
Trolling e-bay, and stumbled on what I think may be a deal.

However, I ran across a two lens auction for a 100-300mm Sears zoom f 5.6 and an M 50mm 1.7. I won it for $20. + $10 shipping.

Here's where I wonder if I have an issue...

The description says: "some moisture within the elements of the 50mm and some haze within the elements of the zoom lens."

slinky

03-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, of course I will be examining the lenses when they come. And will post images.

Depending on how bad the zoom is, I may just trash it.

The 1.7 is what I want to fix, if required. Sounds like there are some options.

As for investing more money for gear, wouldn't we all like to?

Of course, getting a deal is fun, too. How sweet will it be to get the 1.7, fix it, and then use it to capture great images? Sounds good to me.
03-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I hear you, slinky. One of my favorite lenses, an old Vivitar 85mm, came to me falling apart and misrepaired. I was able to take it apart, reassemble it, and have been using it gleefully since. Of course, sold as "in great shape" or something like that. I've never bought something advertised with a defect, let us know how it turns out!