Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 70-200 with TC?

Now that the last topic seems to be done, it's time to move forward in the succession of my endless questions... Here's the thing: I'm going to Madeira Island and will spend there at least two, perhaps three weeks. I will pack my wide-angles for scenics and macro for flora - that's the part I'm eagerly waiting for. But, I learned that there will be all kinds of birdwatching trips and whalewatching cruises etc. and got a little worried about my telezoom. I'm going to take my Sigma 70-200 (a newer version) despite it's weight, but concidered adding a teleconverter to get some more reach. I've heard that 1.4 does not make IQ seriously worse, but how about 2x? Then it will be 140-400/5.6, which sounds very nice (210-600 in 35 mm terms) but will it remain useful? Has anyone any experience?

BW,

Jari

PS. If anyone has any field tips for a Madeira trip, I'll be most thankful...

03-18-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Here you go.............

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/41148-sigma-70...converter.html
03-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Well, I've used my Siggy 70-200mm with my Tamron 1.4TC and got smashing results. However, using the same lens with my Siggy 2X TC makes me want to smash something instead.
03-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #4

All of the shots in this gallery (apart from the first 3) were with the older non-macro version of the Sigma and the Kenko MC7 2x TC:

Amberley Air Show - 2008 Photo Gallery by nobbsie at pbase.com.

The combo performed well however I'd probably go for the 1.5x TC for that extra stop of light over the extra reach.

03-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not from personal experience, but I saw some very decent shots from combination like that (with 2xTC) so I wouldn't be worried, just make sure you'll get good quality TC...
BR
03-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, Raybo, I should have found it myself. It seems that I'm going for the 1.4x Sigma EX, although Nobbsie's shots were fine - nothing wrong with IQ there. Just tell me one more thing: if I've understood right, adding a TC also gives more magnification, right? One of the main reasons I got 70-200 macro was nice max. magnification rate, but once the spring arrives I could use some extra when chasing butterflies etc.
03-19-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jesalonen Quote
Thanks for the link, Raybo, I should have found it myself. It seems that I'm going for the 1.4x Sigma EX, although Nobbsie's shots were fine - nothing wrong with IQ there. Just tell me one more thing: if I've understood right, adding a TC also gives more magnification, right? One of the main reasons I got 70-200 macro was nice max. magnification rate, but once the spring arrives I could use some extra when chasing butterflies etc.
With a tc you keep the minimum focusing distance of the original lens, but at a longer focal length - whicvh adds up to increased magnification.

Lowell (I always refer to his example shots) has posted some very convincing shots of his older Sigma 70-200/2.8 with the Sigma Apo 2x tc. Very, very sharp indeed. My own experience is not as good with the 2x tc, but that is probably due, to the usual sample variations (or my own inferior technique). The Sigma Apo 1.4x tc on the other hand is nicely matched to that zoom and works wonders.

Ben
03-19-2009, 03:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jesalonen Quote
Now that the last topic seems to be done, it's time to move forward in the succession of my endless questions... Here's the thing: I'm going to Madeira Island and will spend there at least two, perhaps three weeks. I will pack my wide-angles for scenics and macro for flora - that's the part I'm eagerly waiting for. But, I learned that there will be all kinds of birdwatching trips and whalewatching cruises etc. and got a little worried about my telezoom. I'm going to take my Sigma 70-200 (a newer version) despite it's weight, but concidered adding a teleconverter to get some more reach. I've heard that 1.4 does not make IQ seriously worse, but how about 2x? Then it will be 140-400/5.6, which sounds very nice (210-600 in 35 mm terms) but will it remain useful? Has anyone any experience?

BW,

Jari

PS. If anyone has any field tips for a Madeira trip, I'll be most thankful...
Hi

Some info in Madeira Islands Tourism

Madeira = Great people, great wine, great food, good sun. Bad things are it's getting too much tourism (for my taste).

For untouch nature places, next time, consider Azores Islands. I recommend at least ST Michael's Island and if you check seems there is very very affordable plane trips starting in Nordic places like Finland

My tamron 70-200 performs OK with 1.4x so, sigma will also do so. 2x I can't say since I don't have one yet.

Have a great vacation trip and get us some images feedback on the return.

Enjoy

P.S. - THE AZORES ISLANDS ARE NOT JUST A DESTINATION BUT A MAGICAL JOURNEY - The practical site of Azores some information just in case