Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Question re Pentax SMC Fa 80-320 zoom

I've an opportunity to pick up a Pentax SMC Fa 80-320 zoom lens for under 150.00 U.S. today. I've been looking for a good 400 mm zoom for my Ist Ds but this seems a real sweet deal and 400mm lens' for the Ist seem pretty hard to come by used. Some questions though...

I think the FA series will fit a k mount...am I right?
This price will leave me with enough to shop around for a teleconverter, question is.. are there teleconverters that will keep the autofocus operation?
Is this price good?

Hoping for some quick advice here as I must decide today. I primarily shoot handheld on wildlife (small birds and animals) while hiking.

10-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, all FA lenses work on K-mount cameras. I also have the 80-320- it's a great lens!

I believe there is one TC with autofocus, but I'm unaware of the price. I have several takumar-A teleconverters that work just fine and can be found for around $50.

Remember, that at 640 mm you'll have F11 instead of F5.6. I usually use the TC's on my 400mm, and trust me, if you use more than 2 teleconverters, the lens is almost impossible to use!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-26-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the reply Mo. I'm thinking of adding a 2x converter for times when I can stay in one place and shoot off a tripod. I think then that the slower speed will be ok.
10-26-2006, 10:24 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I think the Tamron 1.4 TC will work with AF on this lens. Going with the 2x may make it unusable, as the focus will hunt all over the place. But, maybe worth the try. I have heard very good things about this lens.

10-26-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks jsundin, that is something I had not considered.