Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #1

SMC Pentax K 20mm f/4 ?

I have been trying to get some info on this lens, but have not been very successful. I just got it in a package deal of several items I bought. If anyone has it, could you tell me about it. Thanks

03-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by coqui Quote
I have been trying to get some info on this lens, but have not been very successful. I just got it in a package deal of several items I bought. If anyone has it, could you tell me about it. Thanks
Very nice buy! What was in the package, and how much $ if you wish to indulge?

I own the M 20 f/4, and it's one of my favorite all-time lenses. The K version is a different optical design, is much larger (twice the weight,) but I have never used one or seen any pics from it. I bet it's a great performer, though. The one review in our database gives it a 7, but I suspect it's better than that.

Here's a link to Boris.

03-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter

It appears that Stans Pentax Photo site and Colwell in his hugh file on Pentax lenses don't rate either of them as more than average lenses with quite some distorsion, soft corners and flare problems. Non the less I've seen nice land scape pics with the M20/4 not so long ago (though I can't seam to find the link). I think I would prefere the K18/3.5...

Can the K20/4 be related to the Takumar 20/4.5? Almost the same size but one lens element less (11:10 instead of 12:10). A pitty Boris doesn't have m42 Takumars on his site.
03-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

One thing about Stan's site, though, is that the opinions are pretty much all based on 35mm film. Meaning comments about distortion and corner softness need to be takn with a grain of salt if you're using the lens on APS-C - the "crop factor" will cut a lot of that out.

03-19-2009, 11:50 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
One thing about Stan's site, though, is that the opinions are pretty much all based on 35mm film. Meaning comments about distortion and corner softness need to be takn with a grain of salt if you're using the lens on APS-C - the "crop factor" will cut a lot of that out.
Many of these tests are done with the greatest care and sincerity but the comment above is significant. Most results depend on the light available and users have to interpret them in that context. In the mid-1960s, in an obscure part of India, I saw a picture taken with an Adox folder. It was an ordinary silhouette of a woman (his wife) holding a classical dance pose. However, such was the conception, that it had won an international award and, with a set of a few other good pictures taken with the Adox, had got this modest but outstanding photographer an ARPS(Associate of the Royal Photographic Society). Imagine the difficulty and expense of getting the prints to the judges in an European capital, almost fifty years ago.
He deeply appreciated the fact that I had been allowed to use my father's Zeiss Ikonta 521 at the tender age of 12. He would have done even better with the Ikonta than he had done with the Adox. The aforegoing might has something to teach all of us about equipment and its application.