Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Try some focus bracketing - focus fast until you see the red focus light, slow down, snap right when you see the first appearance of the green hexagon, focus all the way through to the 'end' of it's appearance, snap, focus back to about midway through it's appearance, snap. Do that several times, and find which images are spot-on sharp - after you determine that, you can always just shoot at that point in the green hexagon appearance.
Good advice, as always, from Jay. Definitely you'll have to learn to do this because at f/1.4 there's hardly any DOF but focus will still read ok over a wider range.

04-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Are you using the focus indicator light in the viewfinder?

Try some focus bracketing - focus fast until you see the red focus light, slow down, snap right when you see the first appearance of the green hexagon, focus all the way through to the 'end' of it's appearance, snap, focus back to about midway through it's appearance, snap. Do that several times, and find which images are spot-on sharp - after you determine that, you can always just shoot at that point in the green hexagon appearance.

Hopefully I described it OK...

PERFECTLY, good sir!
04-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
Anybody using this lens? not samyang or polar!

Isn't this a Canon "L" lens?
04-04-2009, 04:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using the focus indicator light in the viewfinder?

Hopefully I described it OK...

Thank you.

I am using the green hexagon, and have tweaked around with the K10D debug mode to make sure the green hexagon comes at the right time. At f1.4 there is not much play with the green hexagon to bracket around it, and at times the focus lock is unreliable as in it never locking focus under room light.

This morning, of the few shots I've taken most are in focus.....I'll see whether this improves to almost all, as in my other lenses. My FA43/1.9 is on focus at least 99% of the time. (I know that's because the camera is doing it for me ...before someone else points that out to me....)

I appreciate your help.

04-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Thank you.

I am using the green hexagon, and have tweaked around with the K10D debug mode to make sure the green hexagon comes at the right time. At f1.4 there is not much play with the green hexagon to bracket around it, and at times the focus lock is unreliable as in it never locking focus under room light.

This morning, of the few shots I've taken most are in focus.....I'll see whether this improves to almost all, as in my other lenses. My FA43/1.9 is on focus at least 99% of the time. (I know that's because the camera is doing it for me ...before someone else points that out to me....)

I appreciate your help.
No problem. All of us have problems nailing focus at f/1.4 - at that aperture, even the very accurate Pentax MF focus acquisition system starts to have problems. (you should try an f/1.2 lens wide-open, whoo boy )

You could also practice by stopping down to f/2 or f/2.8, but really, very slight bracketing at f/1.4 is going to get you to a better keeper ratio eventually. It does improve with practice, but can be frustrating at first.

04-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(you should try an f/1.2 lens wide-open, whoo boy )
I was surprised recently, when I used my A 50/1.2, to find that (on a K20D with a KatzEye screen) that the "shimmering" areas around the split image actually disappeared - only the split image itself (when out of focus) or the non-split image itself (when in focus) appeared - even the line that "splits the image" disappeared ! (This is not true on a 50/1.4.)
04-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
However, it is really frustrating to not get the focus correct with so many shots....if i cannot improve on this, it will be off to the marketplace and I will have to get the Pentax FA77/1.8.
Does focus trapping work with the lens?

02-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Thinking of buying one right now