Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Pentaxian

A DA55/1.4 is now in my bag

For the life of me, I don't know why. I have a Voigtlander 58/1.4, and enough 50/1.4s to outfit a troop of boy scouts.
Perhaps it's because I'm always looking for the ultimate portrait lens.
Anyway, initial impression is the glass is very good, but the AF sucketh.

AF is noticeably slower than the 70/2.4 that they had on the shelf, which is very disappointing, as I didn't think it was an especially fast performer either.
It does come with a nice, deep lens hood though.

It would be nice if Pentax could implement new technologies that actually improve performance rather than just put junk wannabe technology into their equipment so that they can put a nice label on the box.

I'll dial in the AF tomorrow and see if I can make it accurate, and perhaps post some pictures on the weekend.

03-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congrats on the purchase, hope it'll work out for you
BR
03-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the purchase; while it would be overlapping my lineup, it's probably a keeper of a lens!
03-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It seems that having slow autofocus is better than having no autofocus at all.

This lens is considerably cheaper than the competition. Seeing is believing. I will have to get a copy to test it out myself.

Thanks for the confirmation that the lens is in deed autofocusing slowly...

p.s. cannot be slower than canon 85/1.2 which is moving at a snail speed.

03-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
For the life of me, I don't know why. I have a Voigtlander 58/1.4, and enough 50/1.4s to outfit a troop of boy scouts.
Perhaps it's because I'm always looking for the ultimate portrait lens.
Anyway, initial impression is the glass is very good, but the AF sucketh.

AF is noticeably slower than the 70/2.4 that they had on the shelf, which is very disappointing, as I didn't think it was an especially fast performer either.
It does come with a nice, deep lens hood though.

It would be nice if Pentax could implement new technologies that actually improve performance rather than just put junk wannabe technology into their equipment so that they can put a nice label on the box.

I'll dial in the AF tomorrow and see if I can make it accurate, and perhaps post some pictures on the weekend.
I want that lens. And I'd rather tire my eyeball focusing manually than disturb my subject with one of the dentist drill alternatives. The 55's SDM is still faster than me.
03-20-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the new lens. It seems to be off to a spotty start based on the reviews I've seen. Your results will be the only review that matters however. I'm looking forward to some of your samples.

Tom G