Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Opinions please, whatís my next glass?

This is my first post but definitely not my last.

I have been shooting Pentax for several years, but havenít had the time or money to pursue this love until now. I have a collection of bodies, K1000 (yes, Iím that old), ME Super, ZX-50 and *ist DS (hopefully to add the K10D next year) and a collection of lenses;

SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50 mm
SMC Pentax-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm
SMC Pentax DA 28-55mm
Seikanon Auto Zoom/Macro 1:3.5-4.4 55-225mm
Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 EX DG APO IF

What I want to add is a good portrait lens, extension tubes for macro photography and possibly a rear converter.

Any other suggestions? What glass out there have you found excellent? Any good sources for used/new glass? I eagerly await your opinions.

10-27-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

i am also new into pentax world but i managed to squeeze my tight budget into limited lenses

i believe fa77/1.8 is great for protrait as the bokeh is really great except in harsh lighting environment producing ring bokeh (but i love it)

it is sharp wide open, light to carry but not sure if an extension tube can be placed before the lens.

fa31/1.8 is great for protraits as well. Lovely colour (my friend loves his fa35/2 which is going to be rebatched samsung brand)

but it is not a friendly lens for older women as you can get bashed up easily with all their fine wrinkles showing up in your images even wide open. Not if you do not want longivity

some examples:

10-27-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Windwalker Quote

I have been shooting Pentax for several years, but havenít had the time or money to pursue this love until now. I have a collection of bodies, K1000 (yes, Iím that old), ME Super, ZX-50 and *ist DS (hopefully to add the K10D next year) and a collection of lenses;

SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50 mm
SMC Pentax-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm
SMC Pentax DA 28-55mm
Seikanon Auto Zoom/Macro 1:3.5-4.4 55-225mm
Sigma 70-200mm 1:2.8 EX DG APO IF

What I want to add is a good portrait lens, extension tubes for macro photography and possibly a rear converter.

Any other suggestions? What glass out there have you found excellent? Any good sources for used/new glass? I eagerly await your opinions.
Ahhhh... I hear the soft whisper of LBA calling.

You have some nice glass there, and you cover a good deal of focal range. The combo of the DA18-55 and the Sigma 70-200, I would guess are your 2 work horses. Your M 50 f2.0 will make a very servicable portrait lens. Something a little better would be the FA50 f1.4, or if you perfer a longer portrait lens, the 77 limited is a superb lens.

For low light work, I might suggest either the FA 50 f1.4 again or the FA 35 f2.0. This 35 is just a very small notch below the 31 limited in IQ. It is also very small and light.

The lens I have the most fun with is the 10-17mm FE zoom.

I use extension tubes for the small amount of macro work I do. I can't justify a dedicated macro lens.

The Tamron 1.4X TC seems to have the best value/IQ combo.

Hope this helps some.
Alan
10-27-2006, 06:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi there!

QuoteOriginally posted by Windwalker Quote

All good suggestions so far (FA35/2, FA50/1.4, FA77/1.8) so I will just add another option: Tamron 90/2.8 Di Macro. This lens has been advertised as a portrait, macro lens. Or Pentax DFA 100/2.8 macro.

Another good prime lens is FA135/2.8.

If you are looking to upgrade the DA18-55, have a look at either DA16-45/4 or Sigma 17-70.

cheers
Kenny

10-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Kenny how have you found the FA135/2.8 for CA?

I tried the one at Michaels out and wide open the CA indoors (under their bright lights, like shooting into the cabinets) was obvious?
10-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
clm

Any Pentax 50/1.4 is an excellent lens, normal FOV on film or portrait on digital. www.keh.com is the best source of used lenses I know. eBay can be a good source, but many sellers don't know anything about cameras and sell junk.
The Vivitar 2X macro teleconverter is a combination of extension tubes and teleconverter, but is only available in manual focus and kinda rare. Tamron AF 1.4X is very good, too.
10-30-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Joele

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote

I tried the one at Michaels out and wide open the CA indoors (under their bright lights, like shooting into the cabinets) was obvious?
Hmm... can't really say since I don't really notice. I have got the lens here today with me, I can try it out during lunch break today and post a few photos tonight.

cheers
Kenny
10-31-2006, 02:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

FA135mm/2.8

Hi Joele

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote

I managed to take some shots today to test for CA. I deliberately shot these shots with a strong backlit situation, ie situations where CA is most likely to occur. Sorry about the blurry photos, it was a windy day today and I was only interested in testing the CA anyway. Let me know if you want me to do it again.

100% crop of the above

Another shot:

100% crop of the above

As far as my untrained eyes can see, I see very little CA. But then maybe it is just me don't know where to look =)

cheers
Kenny

10-31-2006, 04:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

mmm, maybe the sample they have for sale at Michaels is dodgy? your pictures look fine...

Thanks for that!
10-31-2006, 07:09 PM   #10

For the digital cameras, the 50 f/1.4 is a great portrait lens, and the 77 f/1.8 is great for head-shot type portriats. For groups I use the 31mm f/1.8. All these are excellent lenses and will serve you well.
10-31-2006, 07:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not do both at once?

<snip>

QuoteQuote:

How about a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro? Great macro lens, very good portrait lens, good short tele. It's not as sharp as the 77 ltd, but it's also considerably cheaper. Besides you get the macro capability.

NaCl(good versitile lens)H2O +