Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=Votesh;564365]I agree about the flare resistance. I was stunned that I could get the shot I posted of the sun rising above the prairie with the A*. I tried to get similar shots with the FA* and it just wasn't working. I got some others from that same morning with the A* with the sun just out of the frame, and there is a little bit of flare but it's almost nothing, and I wan't even using the hood. Once again, I tried similar shots with the FA* and they were unusable, even with the hood. I suspect it might be due to the fact that the front element of the FA* is more convex than the front element of the A*.[QUOTE]

The first time I noticed FA* flare that was not matched by any A* flare was in a series of tests I made way back in the pre-digital days of yore (<g>).

Notice the unusual flare over to the left from a wide open FA* 85/1.4 -
http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/85's/fa14bk14.jpg

No similar flare was obtained from a wide open A* 85/1.4 -
http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/85's/a14bk14.jpg

or from a wide open M 85/2 -
http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/85's/m2bk2.jpg

or from a wide open K 85/1.8 -
http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/85's/k18bk18.jpg

or from a wide open SMC Tak 85/1.8 -
http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/85's/sm18bk18.jpg

or from a wide open Super Tak 85/1.9
http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/85's/st19bk19.jpg

or even a the wide open K 85/2.2 Soft (<g>) -
http://www.allgeektome.com/pentax/85's/ks22bk22.jpg

Note that the FA* flare was not evident in the f/2.8 or f/5.6 shots. (These images are all old scans from even older 4x6 prints.)

I don't have any other examples handy at the moment, but I have seen ~occasional~ flare problems with the FA* 85. However, like many of the other lens-versus-lens criticisms here, where we're comparing two unusually good lenses, I don't want to suggest that the FA* is some kind of a "flare-dog" (<g>) or something - it's just that it seems to me to be just a little bit less flare-resistant than the A*, that's all.

(The rest of these test scans are at The Great Pentax 85mm Lens Shoot-Out , in case anyone's interested.)

04-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
I really expected all this testing to show a clear "winner", but it's only made it that much harder for me to pick the "best" one. They're each exceptional, but just in their own ways.
I (unfortunately, for its LBA impact - <g>) do have to agree.

I'm still "stuck" with an A* 85/1.4 (which I do prefer overall), an FA* 85/1.4 (which is still a very special lens), and (and I'm going to include this here) an FA 77/1.8 Limited (which is also a really nice lens to use), simply because none is overwhelmingly better than the others.
04-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I (unfortunately, for its LBA impact - <g>) do have to agree.
Hey I resemble that remark!

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I'm still "stuck" with an A* 85/1.4 (which I do prefer overall), an FA* 85/1.4 (which is still a very special lens), and (and I'm going to include this here) an FA 77/1.8 Limited (which is also a really nice lens to use), simply because none is overwhelmingly better than the others.
My favorite is the FA85. The colors and textures are simply stunning. The A85 and FA77 are also superb. But each one of the 3 is excellent in its own way. It's like deciding if you have a favorite child when you love them all equally.
04-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I want to see comparisons of A*, FA*, the 77mm limited and a Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZK.

04-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a very interesting thread and I have to say a big THANK YOU for all the thorough testing and written assessments.

I only have the FA85 and the old M85/2, which I have not used for a long time now. Whenever I take the FA at hand I am impressed by the results, it is such a wonderful lens to work with. Nevertheless some comparisson between the FA and the 77 Ltd. would indeed be very welcome, as the Ltd. seems to be much smaller and a good choice for trips.

Ben
04-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thank you to Votesh and Fred for all the thorough testing & comparison between these 2 lenses.
As I really inclined to have the FA* 85/1.4 too one day.

I remember that somebody did the comparison test for portrait shoot between FA*85/1.4 and FA 77mm/Ltd with his dad as the subject. But I couldn't find the comparison photos anymore.
04-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That FA* 85mm vs 77mm Ltd comparison was done by Frank. It was the main reason I decided to get the FA*. Unfortunately it appears he's rmoved the photos.

The bokeh of the FA* in his shots did it for me. Along with everything else which is great about the lens
04-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
I want to see comparisons of A*, FA*, the 77mm limited and a Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZK.
Give me a year or two and I may just be able to do that. I really love the ~85mm focal length and may just have to pick both of the others up at some point.

04-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Hi,

That one of my last shots with thte FA*85/1.4 at f4.0