Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
31 or 77 Ltd ?

Hi all

I was planning to buy both of these later this year, but with likely worldwide heavy price rises being imminent I am thinking of buying one of the two pronto.

What say the PF Massive about their relative merits?

I use a K20D, with Sigma 10-20, DA* 16-50 & 50-135, and Tamron 18-250 atm.

TIA

03-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

These are both very desirable lenses so I don't think anyone other than yourself can advise. Check your collection of shots see which range of focal lengths you shoot more often.
03-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The 31 is a more useful focal lenght. The 77 is wonderful but too long for general uses.
03-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There are many many threads both here and elsewhere about the superb images these lenses (and the FA43) render. There are also thousands of images here, on Flickr, etc. you can feast your eyes on. Really, you cannot go wrong with any of them. It just depends on what focal length you prefer.

I bought the FA43 first, as my "standard" lens, and since it is the smallest and least expensive of all three. It has an almost magical rendering quality that I just haven't found elsewhere.

The FA77 came some time later, at a reasonable used price. I once thought of reselling it to recoup the money, but would have to say it'd be one of the last lenses I could give up. It is so small and perfectly built. The retractable lens hood is very handy. A perfect portrait lens on digital.

I have never had a strong reason to buy the FA31, which is more like 32mm and not in a focal range I like. (I have the DA35 and feel the same about that.) It is also bigger and the most expensive of the three. However many say the FA31 is the best Pentax lens, bar none. From what i have seen I would not go that far, but again you would not be disappointed.

03-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Again, both are stellar lenses. It is all about what focal length you really like.

If this is simply to grab a lens as a good future investment, go for fa 31mm ltd.

Personally I think Fa 31mm ltd is my travel lens while Fa 77 ltd is my street lens.

FA 31mm ltd

Fa 77mm ltd

Cheers
03-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
The 31 is a more useful focal lenght. The 77 is wonderful but too long for general uses.
I agree. I have both lens; if I just have these two lens, I would say 31mm gets used 70% of the times and 77mm gets about 30%. Either one of these are good choices.
03-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Graham, I thik that your question is rather a dumb one.
It's the same thing like asking between a 4x4 car or a cabriolet-coupé.

Answer: it's you who decide on you needs.
03-21-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
Graham, I thik that your question is rather a dumb one.

<Adds to ignore list>

03-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Graham

they are both fantastic .. like Roentarre said I agree.

To help make a decision on which to get first why not check to see which focal length most of your shots are taken at.

Cheers and goodluck

Neil
03-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #10

Well, I think I would go for the 77 first. My thinking is this - if you're going to have the 50-135 along then you might as well have the 16-50 as well, kind of "in for a penny, in for a pound"; but you could do pretty well going out with just the 16-50 and the 77, smaller kit.
03-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Both are very likely to be the best lenses you will ever use. I have the 77 and adore it. I don't have the 31 (have the FA35 instead), but that is only because of the cost factor.

Both are awesome...so pick the one who's focal length suits you best....then purchase the other down the road.

Good luck.

c[_]
03-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #12

Hahaha! @ PF Massive.

Reminds me of Ali G.

I would lean towards Kathyk's comment. You may end up wanting both, but try the FA 77mm first. It's also a little cheaper than the FA 31, and if you decide you are fine with the 50-135, you could sell the FA 77 to help fund the FA 31.
03-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have both and if I were asked to give one up it would be like asking which of my kids I had to give up, they are both different but I love both of them. I bought the 31 first, mainly because it was the most expensive and after the purchase I wouldn't have to come up with that much money again:-). I bought the 77 next because I didn't have a quality prime in that range and I got the 43 last and it seemed cheap (in price) after the first two! If you know you will eventually end up with both, I would get the 31 first because if these price increases go through, it will be be even more expensive in relation to the others.