Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The weight is about the same as the DA* 16-50, but the DA* 50-135 is much longer, particularly when the lens hood is attached - and mine always is. I don't know how much longer the paint on my hood will last from my banging it into things. I'm still not used to a lens this short in focal length being almost as long as my 400.
If you don't like a big hummer the primes are a preferred solution. The good thing I can say about it is that despite its size, the K10- K20 etc are so massive themselves that the camera still balances decently. Can you imagine trying to use a lens of that mass on an MX.

I think its reasonable to own a prime or two with in the zoom range for those days when mass is a problem. I Put on a afilter and dumped the lens shade
to manage the issue--- but do pay theprice with flare now and then.

03-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
I'm a huge an of Pentax. I think their products represent value. I hope that just because this is a Pentax forum that a little negativity towards one of their products doesn't get me ostracized ;-)
There is enough negativity towards this zoom. Despite all the criticisms targeting on this zoom, this zoom is the one that produced far better pictures and has the most use for my amateur use.

There are few pentax fanboys here. Very few. Your opinion is appreciated in this forum and most of the replies in response to your thread are just to express their own opinions.

If you search into the forum long enough, I am one of the common basher towards this zoom in the early days. So enough said. This zoom is not something I would bring to a wedding event...
03-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Hi Robert,
I have to disagree with some of your conclusions about 16-50.
Big&Heavy - yes, but what do you expect from a zoom with constant aper. of 2.8 + SDM + weather sealing?
Expensive - compared to what? if you take similar lenses from C & N, this one is a bargain.
Yeah, sure it has its own flaws, but I dowbt that there's a single simislar zoom without.
IMHO, it's an excelent lens.
03-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Of all the bad things said about this lens its my go to lens and I purchsed it from overseas taking on the chance of a good copy or not, purely on the basis of its constant aper. of 2.8 + SDM + weather sealing and the few good reviews that were around

I love mine and use it more than any of my other lenses and cannot complain about it at all.

Neil

03-28-2009, 04:24 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Just wanted to say that I just got this lens. It is a sharp copy. As has been said before, it is pretty soft at 16 mm and f2.8, but by 18 mm it is excellent. The thing that surprised me, was how fast it focused -- I had heard bad things about the focus speed, but it is significantly faster than my 50-135. I definitely recommend it for those who want f2.8, SDM and weather sealing.