Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #16

The lighter the lens, the more survivable in a fall. The smaller the lens, the more survivable in a fall. A lens that is packed in a backpack protected by foam, the less likely it will be damaged.

So firsts of all I will not recommend a zoom lens in this case. I will definitely consider all the limited edition pancakes.

I bet if you carry the 21 mm f3.2, 40 mm f2.8 and the 70 mm f2.4 the complete package will be small. the two lenses that are packed away in the backpack will not be damaged and the lens on the camera is so small and light weight that the camera may suffer damage before the lens will get scratched. Nowadays the camera body can take a lot of beating before breaking. I have used one as a hammer before.

03-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #17

Original Poster
Once again great advice

I do understand the virtues of being careful but "stuff happens," as we all know. The claiming usage of older glass is particularly interesting as I grew up using an old Spotmatic and manual lens. Never thought of going back to it but why not. I loved the old systems and love metal barrel lens. Thanks everyone.
03-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #18
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@ the op... I haven't seen your other post, so don't know if this have been said there; I notice it hasn't been said here. I don't have a hood for the FA 50, but do for every other lens. Lens hoods are hands down the best protection for a lens for the money. My Tamron was saved thanx to the hood. The camera slipped out of my hand about 2 or 3 feet after a bump, and I dropped the camera lens down. I got a scuff on the hood, but crack on the bottom of the body of the K10D. Whatever you get, use a hood if you want to 'help' protection on drops. (of course if it lands hard on a pointy rock that fits right into the hood from a high distance or many other ways, forget it... but nothing would have helped then either. )
03-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My daughter threw my Super Takumar 50/1.4 out the window of the car in about 100km/hour into asphalt. It got a small scratch in the paint on the focusring.

I recommend getting the 35mm/3.5, 50/1.4, 85/1.9, 105/2.8 Taks. will cost you about 250$. Skip the 105 or 85 and it will be about 100$ cheaper. No zoom in the 250$ range will beat that.

03-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #20

Zewrak,
any idea where I can find one of those 85/1.9 for a $100?
03-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mile High Quote
Zewrak,
any idea where I can find one of those 85/1.9 for a $100?
tedious craigslist and ebay searching.
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #22
Pentaxian

For $40/year, I insure all my gear through State Farm with a "personal articles" policy that covers all risk anywhere in the world, whether used professionally or not.
03-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
For $40/year, I insure all my gear through State Farm with a "personal articles" policy that covers all risk anywhere in the world, whether used professionally or not.
since you brought this up, i wanted to ask

how does one file a claim and not get the short end of the stick?

lets say you get mugged or lose your gear, or it just drops and cracks in half, what then?

03-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tarponn22 Quote
Hi,
I just made a post trying to find a place to buy a part of a FA 50 that I broke on a fall while hiking. That has prompted me to rethink my next couple of lens purchases. I like so many have been caught up in the dialog of "best, sharpest, fastest" all factors making those lens really expensive. I has just now dawned on me that many of your posts refer to many Pentax lens that really do a very nice job of capturing light at a fraction of the price. Because 95% of my time taking pictures is in environments that are really dangerous to a camera I do not want be worring about my equipment more than enjoying the experience. Please, if you would, reccomend tough lens from 10 to 300 mm that do the job and do not break the bank either. Thanks
I'd recommend an insurance rider on your equipment instead. That way you can use good equipment without the stress of worrying if you are going to break it.
03-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by tarponn22 Quote
Hi,
I just made a post trying to find a place to buy a part of a FA 50 that I broke on a fall while hiking. That has prompted me to rethink my next couple of lens purchases. I like so many have been caught up in the dialog of "best, sharpest, fastest" all factors making those lens really expensive. I has just now dawned on me that many of your posts refer to many Pentax lens that really do a very nice job of capturing light at a fraction of the price. Because 95% of my time taking pictures is in environments that are really dangerous to a camera I do not want be worring about my equipment more than enjoying the experience. Please, if you would, reccomend tough lens from 10 to 300 mm that do the job and do not break the bank either. Thanks
I wonder if the new Pentax 24X super zoom is an option? Anyone seen a review?
03-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
since you brought this up, i wanted to ask

how does one file a claim and not get the short end of the stick?

lets say you get mugged or lose your gear, or it just drops and cracks in half, what then?
I haven't had to file a claim on this policy, but when I've filed claims on other State Farm policies, I'd say they've acted reasonably. They were strict about enforcing the limits on coverage that were pretty clear in the policy, and of course put up some argument over what was reasonable, but I figure that's their job, just like mine is to get as much as much as I can, and the point of compromise was probably about right.

This policy, being an all risk everywhere policy, givers them less wiggle room - they will basically pay replacement cost for any loss caused by accident, theft, etc. Anything other than normal wear and tear or deliberate misuse. And nothing in my dealings with them has suggested they wouldn't simply take me at my word on that - although with theft, they want to see a police report, etc.

Given that gear tends to become obsolete every few years, what I've heard from others with similar policies is they generally just buy you the equivalent that is available at the time - which is usually *better* than what you are replacing. So if my K200D tanked next year, they'd probably replace it with a K300D. No idea how they'd handle a practically irreplaceable item like a rare FA* long telephoto or something, but I'm not trying to insure anything irreplaceable.
03-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #27
WRB
Forum Member

Dropped DA* 16-50

Hard enough to break filter and lock it in place. Took it to local Pentax authorized shop for under $100 they removed filter did some internal repair. Good as new. I have read many debate filters, it saved the lens some severe damage according to the best estimate of the shop. I now utilize filter and hood no matter where or when I am shooting.
03-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella
I had no idea this level of coverage was possible for such a low cost--thanks.
03-26-2009, 05:10 AM   #29
Forum Member

Get a monopod.
Monopod=third leg=stability=no fall
03-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #30
Pentaxian

After the AIG debacle, insurance coverage may not be as foolproof as before