Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I haven't had to file a claim on this policy, but when I've filed claims on other State Farm policies, I'd say they've acted reasonably. They were strict about enforcing the limits on coverage that were pretty clear in the policy, and of course put up some argument over what was reasonable, but I figure that's their job, just like mine is to get as much as much as I can, and the point of compromise was probably about right.

This policy, being an all risk everywhere policy, givers them less wiggle room - they will basically pay replacement cost for any loss caused by accident, theft, etc. Anything other than normal wear and tear or deliberate misuse. And nothing in my dealings with them has suggested they wouldn't simply take me at my word on that - although with theft, they want to see a police report, etc.

Given that gear tends to become obsolete every few years, what I've heard from others with similar policies is they generally just buy you the equivalent that is available at the time - which is usually *better* than what you are replacing. So if my K200D tanked next year, they'd probably replace it with a K300D. No idea how they'd handle a practically irreplaceable item like a rare FA* long telephoto or something, but I'm not trying to insure anything irreplaceable.
Thanks for sharing, I hadn't considered this, admittedly. I'll be looking into it further before my upcoming Mexico trip, but do you mind if I ask what you're getting for a deductible on this?

K.

03-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #32
Pentaxian

No deductible. They offer a slightly cheaper plan that includes a deductible, but I figure $40/year is cheap enough.
03-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zewrak Quote
My daughter threw my Super Takumar 50/1.4 out the window of the car in about 100km/hour into asphalt. It got a small scratch in the paint on the focusring.
Sorry, but that whole paragraph made me laugh out loud at the absurdity. I don't know which is funnier, that your family member is so nonchalant with the care your toys, or that the lens was so nonchalant about being thrown out the window!

"Takumar" - that word sounds like an item that can be thrown out of a moving car.
03-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

DA*300 seems pretty tough

QuoteOriginally posted by tarponn22 Quote
SNIP...
Because 95% of my time taking pictures is in environments that are really dangerous to a camera I do not want be worring about my equipment more than enjoying the experience. Please, if you would, reccomend tough lens from 10 to 300 mm that do the job and do not break the bank either. Thanks
I'll vouch for the toughness of the DA*300. It has to be tough because I couldn't afford to replace it. A couple of times I've been really glad of the weatherproofing and I suspect in a fall it would be OK. Not so sure about the plastic exterior of the K20D though if it was between the lens and a hard surface. I cart the thing everywhere and it has taken some minor knocks without injury.

I can't over state how nice it is having the weatherproof package.
I had considered going with Canon but the look on this guys face during a bit of drizzle made me so glad I chose Pentax. A minute later and he had packed up and moved back to the grandstand. Play continued without him.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo