Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
how long have you had the FA77 LTD?

I took to the FA77 like a duck to water, I loved lenses in the 105-135mm range on my LX and on 1.5X reduced-frame DSLRs the FA77 is 115mm - just right for my kind of work...and on my Pentax LX I treat it like a longer 50...though my mother took one look through it on the LX with the FA77 LID on it and after a few minuites she asked me " what the hell is this lens for?" - she doesn't get the 77 either, you're not alone.

she got the FA31mm limited though, my mother, who is an old school ex-professional photojournalist has a bias towards wide angle lenses.
Just a couple of weeks - really week-ends. I just fell for the 31mm and never had any problem with the the 43mm. I feel a lot better now with the 77mm. The curious thing is that I have no problem with the DA70. I just found them two different lenses and will likely keep both.
I am thinking of buying a KX for the FA limited. I have never shoot film before. Can you scan the negative without development or is that done after developing the film?

thanks.

Luc.

03-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I am thinking of buying a KX for the FA limited. I have never shoot film before. Can you scan the negative without development or is that done after developing the film?
you must develop before prints or scans
03-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
you must develop before prints or scans
Thanks for the answer. I just looked up the price of a decent scanner and it is about CAD 250 so that a good step because scanning of negative seems very expensive in a lab.
Sorry to ask a dumb question but can you have a lab develop the film without making any print or they do not separate the two services?
I am mostly interested in B&W.
I should probably ask these questions in the film forum...

Cheers,

Luc.
03-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Decent scanner costs tons... comparable to Nikon FF camera!

And about original post - I love FA77. Its the magic lens. I`ll take time and make a series about it in my blog.

03-29-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
Banned

Thanks for the answer. I just looked up the price of a decent scanner and it is about CAD 250 so that a good step because scanning of negative seems very expensive in a lab.
Sorry to ask a dumb question but can you have a lab develop the film without making any print or they do not separate the two services?
I am mostly interested in B&W.
I should probably ask these questions in the film forum...

Cheers,

Luc.
you can certainly develop and not make prints. they are two separate processes. however I don't know the policies of most labs, but any quality photo lab (not your neighborhood drugstore or wal-mart) will certainly just develop and give you the negatives, if that is what you want. I do it often with my local lab.
03-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hello,

Thank you for the answers.
I assume that the Canon 8800F is not a decent film scanner then?

Cheers,

Luc.
03-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
Banned

hello,

Thank you for the answers.
I assume that the Canon 8800F is not a decent film scanner then?

Cheers,

Luc.
is not? oh no, it is an excellent film scanner. probably the best non-dedicated film scanner on the market.
03-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Yeah, when people say you can't get a decent one for less than a grand or whatever, they're talking about a dedicated (non-flatbed) film negative scanner.

I just noticed recently that Canon has a new flatbed scanner, the LiDE 700f, coming out this month with a MSRP of US$129. It does 9600dpi film scanning, which neither the 8800f or 4400f (as I understand it) do.

03-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
is not? oh no, it is an excellent film scanner. probably the best non-dedicated film scanner on the market.
Hello Séamuis, Hello deadwolfbones,

Thanks for the clarification. No rush to buy a scanner, I have to take the photos first but a local well regarded lab, charges $20 for a medium quality (around 2500 pixel * 1600 12MB) scan of a 36 roll and $45 for full quality so a scanner might pay for itself fast...
I have started searching for info on scanner and came with this dedicated 35mm Plustek OpticFilm 7200i 35mm Film Scanner that seems to be a pretty good bang for the buck 7200 dpi around $275.

BTW I was looking at your gallery did the lady found out if the piper was a true Scotsman?

Cheers,

Luc
03-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
Inactive Account

develop film

developing your own film is VERY easy. Look up DIAFINE. For a decent cheap scanner, Epson V500, or even 350 if you're only interested in 35mm. But if you start with film you're going to end up wanting your own darkroom. Cheers,
Dan
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yeah, when people say you can't get a decent one for less than a grand or whatever, they're talking about a dedicated (non-flatbed) film negative scanner.

I just noticed recently that Canon has a new flatbed scanner, the LiDE 700f, coming out this month with a MSRP of US$129. It does 9600dpi film scanning, which neither the 8800f or 4400f (as I understand it) do.
I may just be purchasing this new scanner. only downside is that it wont do 120.

Last edited by séamuis; 03-30-2009 at 02:19 PM.
03-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
how long have you had the FA77 LTD?

I took to the FA77 like a duck to water, I loved lenses in the 105-135mm range on my LX and on 1.5X reduced-frame DSLRs the FA77 is 115mm - just right for my kind of work...and on my Pentax LX I treat it like a longer 50...though my mother took one look through it on the LX with the FA77 LTD on it and after a few minuites she asked me " what the hell is this lens for?" - she doesn't get the 77 either, you're not alone.

she got the FA31mm limited though, my mother, who is an old school ex-professional photojournalist has a bias towards wide angle lenses.
I think this is exactly right. It was love at first shot for me, too--because I wanted tight candid portraits and the 77mm delivered big time. I've got a 31mm too but it's taking me some time to 'get it'--I'm just not at home below 50mm.
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Personally, I find the FA77 does a wonderful job at rendering people (i.e. portraits) and does a very nice job with close focus work in daylight (flowers, foliage) and that's what I use it for. I find the 43 and the 31 to be better "all rounders" but prefer the way the 43 renders people and prefer the way the way the 31 renders objects and scenery. The characteristics work for me on film or APS-C but I don't find the 31 wide enough for tight work (the DA21 or FA*24 work for me there) or for landscapes on film. I don't find the 77 long enough for street work or theatre/dance (prefer the FA135 and suspect the DA*55-135 would also be an excellent choice on digital) Dave