Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
svo
Forum Member

There was another article recently extolling the virtues of 50mm --> The 50mm f/1.4 lens: Photography's Magic Bullet

03-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by svo Quote
There was another article recently extolling the virtues of 50mm --> The 50mm f/1.4 lens: Photography's Magic Bullet
excellent article, but I will stick to my 55.
03-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Here are another few related articles - essential reading, IMO.

The Elusive Normal.

Great 50mm lenses.

My Favorite Lens.

03-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Over my long weekend at the beach, I mostly used my ZX-M and FA43 and had a lot of fun with it; I'll be getting the developed film back tomorrow. Just so I could have something wider for the film body, I've got a M28/3.5 on the way; I'm also looking forward to trying this out on the K20.

I'm really liking the challenge of sticking to 1 prime at a time and seeing what each is capable of. Film is renewing my LBA for old manual primes--we'll see where this one is going.

Heather

03-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #20

Don't forget the masterpieces of Cartier-Bresson and his Leica 50 mm.
03-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Over my long weekend at the beach, I mostly used my ZX-M and FA43 and had a lot of fun with it; I'll be getting the developed film back tomorrow. Just so I could have something wider for the film body, I've got a M28/3.5 on the way; I'm also looking forward to trying this out on the K20.

I'm really liking the challenge of sticking to 1 prime at a time and seeing what each is capable of. Film is renewing my LBA for old manual primes--we'll see where this one is going.

Heather
Neat stuff, Heather! Are you going to get the negatives scanned? I always like to see how the FA ltds do on film.

03-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Neat stuff, Heather! Are you going to get the negatives scanned? I always like to see how the FA ltds do on film.

As a matter of fact, I am getting them scanned by the camera shop that's developing them. Eventually, I'd like to get to get my own film scanner so I can scan them at higher resolutions without paying the camera shop through the nose. The more reasonably priced scans are lower res and will be OK for printing up to about 8x10, I think.

At any rate, I'll most definitely be posting some of the better ones in either the film or "post your photos" section (or both, if the mood strikes me). I'll have 2 rolls to share--one on Fuji Reala 100 and the other on Ilford Delta 100.

Heather

03-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I finally got some pics of the 43 on film posted. Here's a link to the posting in the film section. There's a link from there to my Fllickr set to check out the rest.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53503-cool-let...tml#post535627

Heather
03-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #24
Pentaxian

@ Robin: Olaf's comments in response to the second article Jay linked to above responds to what you are driving at I think:
QuoteQuote:
Same here. I tried to get used to using 35 mm (54 mm-e) and 28 mm lenses (43 mm-e) as an image-format-adjusted standard lens on my APS-C-format DSLR camera ... but I keep falling back to the good old 50 mm lens (the Minolta AF 50 mm 1:1.7 in my case, 77 mm-e).

I keep wondering why this is. A possible explanation is viewfinder magnification. Most APS-C DSLRs' viewfinders have more or less the same magnification as their 35-mm-format counterparts but smaller fields of view. So with a 35 mm lens you'll get the same coverage as with a 50 mm lens on 35-mm format---but only with a 50 mm lens you'll get the same magnification presented in the viewfinder. Maybe we're thinking, or seeing, more in terms of magnification rather than field of view ... (just speculating).
When re-reading my earlier response above I realised I had missed the point you were making - but now I think I get it.
03-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
How can 43mm be the most natural "eye view" on film and digital when for the resulting picture 43mm on film is matched by 28mm on digital?
Because 43mm is 43mm is 43mm, regardless of whether or not the camera is FF or APS-C or anything else. The only thing that changes is the field of view, not the focal length.

Think of it this way: You have an 8x10 picture frame and a 5x7. Hold up the 8x10at arms length in front of you - that's your FF field of view. Now place the 5x7 in front of it. That's your APS-C. The actual view through both frames didn't change at all - you just "cropped" it. Perspective didn't change, focal length didn't change, depth of field didn't change, only the field of view. So it is when moving lenses from one format to another.
03-25-2009, 02:13 AM   #26
Pentaxian

How can 43mm be the most natural "eye view" on film and digital when for the resulting picture 43mm on film is matched by 28mm on digital?
When you do your viewfinder experiment, don't forget that viewfinders have a "magnification", like x 0.85.
I don't know about the magnification of the old full frame cameras, but if they were close to x1 then this could explain part of the puzzle.
03-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
When you do your viewfinder experiment, don't forget that viewfinders have a "magnification", like x 0.85.
I don't know about the magnification of the old full frame cameras, but if they were close to x1 then this could explain part of the puzzle.
film camera viewfinders were often designed around the 50mm lens. spotmatics were designed for the 55mm lens.

from the MX manual:
QuoteQuote:
95% of picture-taking area visible and 0.97 X magnification with 50mm lens at infinity.
from the MZ-5n manual:
QuoteQuote:
Field of view:92%, Magnification:0.8X(with 50mm lens at infinity)
K20D:
QuoteQuote:
Coverage (field of view) - 95%; Magnification - 0.95x (w/ 50mm f/1.4 at infinity)
03-25-2009, 05:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Because 43mm is 43mm is 43mm, regardless of whether or not the camera is FF or APS-C or anything else. The only thing that changes is the field of view, not the focal length.
Yeah, I know. So why does the image change but what I see through the viewfinder does not? That is the conundrum.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
This could be the explanation, except AFAIK the K20D is similar to the film cameras at around 95% of coverage. It'd have to be quite different (50% different) to account for the 50% change in sensor size.

This mystery remains.
03-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #29
Banned

Yeah, I know. So why does the image change but what I see through the viewfinder does not? That is the conundrum.

This could be the explanation, except AFAIK the K20D is similar to the film cameras at around 95% of coverage. It'd have to be quite different (50% different) to account for the 50% change in sensor size.

This mystery remains.
but the viewfinder coverage wouldn't really have any effect other than you seeing less, quite like that of a APS-C sensor compared to 35mm. it would be the magnification that would have an effect if any, no?
03-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
but the viewfinder coverage wouldn't really have any effect other than you seeing less, quite like that of a APS-C sensor compared to 35mm. it would be the magnification that would have an effect if any, no?
Of course you are correct. My bad.