Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
difference between Pentax and Samsung version of the DFA 100/2.8 macro???

I might get a good price on the Samsung D-Xenon 100mm f2.8 macro. What I understand this is a re-badged version of the D-FA 100mm f2.8 macro. Is there something I will loose with the Samsung version compared to the Pentax original?

03-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #2

I think it is the same lens but in an uglier body and without smc coating and maybe quickshift.
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
emr

Some posters on the net say that the coating is of a different colour on the Schneider Kreuznachs, but I've failed to find any solid info on this. No idea if the supposedly different coating is better, worse or of a similar quality. Tyvärr. Where are you thinking of buying the lens from? Cyberphoto seems to have them on their list though they aren't in stock.
12-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just order mine

I just order my Schneider, I will receive it on Dec/28th, this is the first 1:1 macro I have so I think testing will be hard but I can post my feeling on the use of it.

I'll keep you posted and I will include some pics.

Regards!

Jose Campoy

12-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I might get a good price on the Samsung D-Xenon 100mm f2.8 macro. What I understand this is a re-badged version of the D-FA 100mm f2.8 macro. Is there something I will loose with the Samsung version compared to the Pentax original?
I looked into this a while ago when I bought mine. I wanted the Pentax version but the Samsung was about 3/5 of the price. Luckily I got the Pentax at a bargain price.

As far as I was able to find, they are the same optics and the same coating, but the Samsung has a diferent lens ID code (so it will show up differently in the exif data). This may have some implications to the shake reduction.
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
You will see when you try to sell it.
12-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
I looked into this a while ago when I bought mine. I wanted the Pentax version but the Samsung was about 3/5 of the price. Luckily I got the Pentax at a bargain price.

As far as I was able to find, they are the same optics and the same coating, but the Samsung has a diferent lens ID code (so it will show up differently in the exif data). This may have some implications to the shake reduction.
As long as it still reports itself to te camera as 100mm it shoud not matter.

12-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
As long as it still reports itself to te camera as 100mm it shoud not matter.

It reports itself to the camera as a binary code string. The issue is wheter the camera has the Samsung codes in it's library. As Samsung lenses seem to work on Pentax cameras, I suspect it is.