Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2009, 02:11 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

TC TéléConvertisseur 1.5x KENKO SHQ Pz-AF SDM PENTAX - (eBay.ca item 290306855839 end time 30-Apr-09 07:25:06 EDT)

This fellow in ebay (Fr) has 8 of them available. Holy Cow. Likely he has the last stock of the TC

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
However I do expect some motion just from the mirror because there is no tripod mount on the DA* 50-135.
Without a tripod, you can use the 2 s method or shoot the subject in burst (and take only the 2nd image) . As I said even at 135mm vibration is still a lesser issue

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; 04-01-2009 at 03:52 AM.
04-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tristate Camera has them for $169.99

Kenko | 1.5X DG AF TELEPLUS CONVERTER FOR PENTAX | K15AFDGP | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote

Re: Tri-State Camera?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It has very low rating

Also the ebay pict shows shq version which is fine.

But shq version does not have DG at the front.

Something is wrong with this ebay ad

Daniel
04-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I have purchased a K10D and several lenses from tristate and never had a problem. Their return policy is on an exchange only basis, so I would keep this in mind when ordering from them.

04-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #35
Veteran Member

This thread is long enough and I have added in a couple of new reports of which TC work with which lens. Updated 090430

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 AF works. SDM no re Brad (photo.net)

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works for DA*300mm re Dave (photo.net)

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works for DA*300mm as per Toshi, moderator of Pentaxforums.com.

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works only 10% of the time for DA* 50-135mm but hunts a lot re Miserere

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x with the Sigma 70-200mm -new with HSM . The HSM AF works. It really didn't work all that well indoors at night according to Dave Hollander of Photo.net

Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC no AF no SDM on DA*300mm re Dave (photo.net)

Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC AF works on older AF lens re Dave (photo.net)

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS MC only AF works; SDM no as per jgredline of Pentaxforums.com

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*200mm and all older AF lens re Daniel

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*300mm re Borno (Tom) of Pentaxforums.com ….SDM hunts a bit with DA*300mm
palmor of Pentaxforums.com confirmed it did not hunt as much with DA*300mm in good light

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*50-135mm but it does hunt quite a bit and often fails to lock focus according to heliphoto of Pentaxforums ; Buddha Jones of Pentaxforums not happy with its result ;

Daniel

Last edited by danielchtong; 04-30-2009 at 01:59 PM.
04-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=danielchtong;545267
It has very low rating

Also the ebay pict shows shq version which is fine.

But shq version does not have DG at the front.

Something is wrong with this ebay ad

Daniel[/QUOTE]

Hopefully it is the correct (SHQ) one. I am a little worried after seeing your concern since I've noticed you've been working hard to stay on top of the TC's for SDM/HSM. I ordered one on Monday or so from Tri-State. I slipped and never checked their rating. To attempt to verify my concerns, I copied the manufactures part number Tri State lists on their website ad and did a web search. Had a hit on the Adorama site for it and they also picture the SHQ version, so I think I'm safe. Too bad Adorama doesn't have them any longer.

According to the shipping information, it should be here tomorrow. I'll post my findings tomorrow whether or not Tri-State Camera's offering works.

Eric
04-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #37
Veteran Member

DO NOT ORDER THE Kenko TC from Tri-State

The Tri-State Camera sent me the TELEPLUS, which as the others have found did not operate the HSM on my Sigma 70-200 2.8.

I'll have to see what it takes to get them to take it back now AAGGRRHH. I wish I would have checked out the rating first. Lesson learned.

04-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote

The Tri-State Camera sent me the TELEPLUS, which as the others have found did not operate the HSM on my Sigma 70-200 2.8.

I'll have to see what it takes to get them to take it back now AAGGRRHH. I wish I would have checked out the rating first. Lesson learned.

Sorry to hear that. But TELEPLUS is ok.

Yours is likely Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC that should AF most AF lenses.

The one that works on SDM & AF (of Pentax DA*) should be Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ.

Sigma HSM is a different beast and it is expected even the latter version (SHQ super high qual) should not work at all

Give benefit of the doubt to Tristate as it is really confusing indeed. And Sigma lens has its own TC and as far as I know, no one in this and other forums has reported any finding of that Sigma 70-200mm with any TC at all.

Daniel

ps This fellow in dpreview has confirmed even with the right TC it would not work for your Sigma 70-200mm

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=31429552

Last edited by danielchtong; 04-24-2009 at 06:20 PM.
04-24-2009, 08:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Daniel, you're right, I received the MC version, not the SHQ. We will see if they take it back since did make it appear they were selling the SHQ version. If not, I guess I'll see if I can manually focus better than my ability to crop.

Hopefully Pentax decides to finish their new TC or Sigma gets their TC that they have for HSM on other mounts set up for K-mount.

Oh the joys...
04-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Thank you Daniel

Interesting thread. It never occurred to me to try a tc with the DA*50-135. I own a list of tc's
2x vivitar macro focusing tc mc
Pentax rear converter-A 1.4X-S
Kenko Pz-AF uniplus tube 25 DG
Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4
and last but not least..
Pentax F 1.7x AF

I must admit that having used the Pentax F 1.7 AF, it is hard to use anything but. I need to do much more experimenting with my gear. These tc's are not the only things that I'm not utilizing enough!

Thank you Daniel for compiling the information here like this. I think this would be an excellent addition somewhere in the lens review database.
04-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Interesting thread. It never occurred to me to try a tc with the DA*50-135.

I must admit that having used the Pentax F 1.7 AF, it is hard to use anything but. I need to do much more experimenting with my gear. These tc's are not the only things that I'm not utilizing enough!
Undoubtedly the AF 1.7x is a masterpiece of TC. I tried that on my A300mmF4 and the combo can be both MF and AF the same time. Really an amusing piece of engineering.

TC are just add on lens and it has never been part of the original optical design. I think the matching is more like trial and error. Well no harm done as you own both and your test of DA*50-135mm would be valuable info to forum members

Daniel
04-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Looks like you got the MC, not the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ (which is more expensive). It does work on SDM as per many forum members reports and I spoke with a Tristate rep who guaranteed it would work prior to sending payment. I've seen posts in another forum that say the Promaster Spectrum 1.7x TC also works with SDM. I have the Promaster, but don't own any SDM lenses so I can't say for certain. If anyone wants to loan me a SDM lens, I'd be happy to check it out!
04-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Dave Hollander of photo.net mentioned his test .

Huh. Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x works with your new Sigma 70-200mm as reported. See his exact wording at

Which TC for Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM to keep AF? - Photo.net Pentax Forum

As I say it is all trial and error.

Mind you only Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x (rare) out of all 1.4XTCs of Tamron works

Daniel

Daniel
04-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Daniel, thanks for the update. It's good to know that something works with my lens.

I have yet to hear back from Tri-State, not even to say sorry you are stuck with it. I'd rather hear that than nothing at all. I did go through Paypal, so we'll see if they can do anything for me.
05-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Got the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ DG. Tested with DA*200 and sdm works fine, but it hunts a bit more with tc. You have to hold the lens very still to get focus. I did some quick tests and it doesn't look too bad. It's definitely giving some extra magnification. Have to test some more extreme situations.

plop.