Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Teleconverter for DA* lenses

Perhaps this queswtion has been asked before - if so, I apologise and hope you will point me to the right thread.
Is it feasable/possible to use a tlecoverter with any / all of the DA* lenses? If so, are all the functions preserved?
Lastly, which would be the best teleconverter to use with a Pentax K10D and a DA* lens.
Regards

03-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are any number of teleconverters that will actually work, but with AF disabled. The exposure functions will all work as long as they are A or later compatible. There is a limited supply of Pentax AF 1.7X converters out there that will fine tune focus from rough manual. In the works, according to Mr. Pentax, there is a converter to work with the DA lenses.
03-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Camera lucida Quote
Perhaps this queswtion has been asked before - if so, I apologise and hope you will point me to the right thread.
Is it feasable/possible to use a tlecoverter with any / all of the DA* lenses? If so, are all the functions preserved?
Lastly, which would be the best teleconverter to use with a Pentax K10D and a DA* lens.
Regards
I believe you are asking the right TC for your DA* lens ( both AF & SDM functions).

I have complied from this and other forums what they know
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 AF works. SDM no re Brad (photo.net)

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works for DA*300mm re Dave (photo.net)

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works for DA*300mm as per Toshi, moderator of Pentaxforums.com.

Tamron-F Pz-AF MC4 1.4x both SDM & AF works only 10% of the time for DA* 50-135mm but hunts a lot re Miserere

Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC no AF no SDM on DA*300mm re Dave (photo.net)

Kenko DG Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS MC AF works on older AF lens re Dave (photo.net)

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS MC only AF works; SDM no as per jgredline of Pentaxforums.com

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*200mm and all older AF lens re Daniel

Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*300mm re Borno (Tom) of Pentaxforums.com ….SDM hunts a bit with DA*300mm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am to continue to expand this list when input is provided by other forum members

It is mindboggingly confusing

Daniel
03-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I second the:
Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ both AF & SDM works for DA*300mm

Although I don't find that it hunts much in good light.

John

03-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Camera lucida Quote
Regards
Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF works on DA*16-50 and DA*50-135. It sometimes hunts for focus, but SDM, exposure and IQ are OK.
03-24-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys, for the replies.
I was thinking of getting a DA*300 and T/C for wildlife and birds (and Tanzania trip maybe next year) and just wanted to have some opinions.
03-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I really like the DA*300 and Tamron 1.4 MC4 TC combo. AF works and SDM should work as confirmed by others (cannot test it since I am using a DS.) AF is quick with lithium batteries and only hunts a bit under bad lighting. Under poor lighting conditions, I manually focus to the relative area then AF which it picks up nice and quick. I've also tested it with my DA* 50-135 without any problems in AF.

Here's a sample photo of the DA*300+Tamron TC combo ...

And here's a lengthy but informative discussion of teleconverters, click here.

03-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Toshi.
Great photo, by the way.
03-25-2009, 05:28 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what about this.... from the hinman's post..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34418-promaster-1-7x-af-tc.html
it seems that this tc works quite well...
03-25-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
what about this.... from the hinman's post..
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34418-promaster-1-7x-af-tc.html
it seems that this tc works quite well...
Hey there,

I don't think this one works with SDM--and by this one, actually, it's the exact same one hinman had (according to the forum member I bought it from).

It has contacts and sends info, but can't get focus. Just hunts, then you get the flashing hexagon. Could just be my copy though, but it won't work on my 16-50 or 50-135.

Too bad!
03-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Hey there,

I don't think this one works with SDM--and by this one, actually, it's the exact same one hinman had (according to the forum member I bought it from).

It has contacts and sends info, but can't get focus. Just hunts, then you get the flashing hexagon. Could just be my copy though, but it won't work on my 16-50 or 50-135.

Too bad!
Personally, I see no use to using it with the 16-50. Later this week I will try out the 50-135 with the Pentax 1.7X AF converter to see what happens.
03-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Personally, I see no use to using it with the 16-50. Later this week I will try out the 50-135 with the Pentax 1.7X AF converter to see what happens.
I tried the 16-50 to test it with more than one SDM lens. I was more interested in using it with the 50-135.
03-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I tried the 16-50 to test it with more than one SDM lens. I was more interested in using it with the 50-135.
Ah. That makes sense. Thanks.
03-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

did you manually focus when attempting to shoot...
hinman used a tamron 70-300mm without issue...
i know any tc might causing some focus hunting in anything
but bright sunlight....
03-25-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
did you manually focus when attempting to shoot...
hinman used a tamron 70-300mm without issue...
i know any tc might causing some focus hunting in anything
but bright sunlight....
I should probably elaborate, eh?

I took it outside in the sun with the 50-135. It seemed to go back and forth on either side of the focus point a couple times, then I'd get the blinking hexagon. I hadn't tried manual focus with it though--so I just did a quick test, focusing manually, then seeing what happens when I tried auto-focus. It did the same thing, even though the focus was good to begin with!

It does work well with non-SDM lenses, it's just that my longest K-mount lens is the 50-135 and that's where it would be most useful for me.

I actually tested it just now with the 77 ltd, which is my second longest (which would give it the reach of a 130mm lens, if there were any!) and it focused perfectly indoors in questionable light. It's even louder and slower than usual though!

Canada_Rockies--I'm interested to hear how your test with the Pentax model goes!