Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 216
Pentax DA 15mm Limited Price

So I looked up the price of the Pentax DA 15mm Limited lens.
I couldn't find it on Amazon, but Adorama is apparently going to sell it for $579.

Is it me, or is that ridiculously expensive!
That would make it the most expensive of the DA pancake lenses.
I just thought it would be in the mid-400s to be in line with the 70 and 21.

Is anyone going to buy this lens?
Any chance the lens price comes down?

03-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member
rparmar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,783
Of course the price will come down. Though how much with today's exchange rate... that is anyone's guess.
03-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Buddha Jones's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,591
Well on the Pentax Imaging site, the DA21LTD is $565, and at B&H it sells for $429, the DA35LTD sells for $600 on Pentax, B&H has it for $480. So, by my logic/reason, the average difference between the Pentax price and the street price is $128, so the DA15LTD listed at $580 will sell for $452. Happy now.
03-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 216
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Well on the Pentax Imaging site, the DA21LTD is $565, and at B&H it sells for $429, the DA35LTD sells for $600 on Pentax, B&H has it for $480. So, by my logic/reason, the average difference between the Pentax price and the street price is $128, so the DA15LTD listed at $580 will sell for $452. Happy now.
Not unless you plan to subsidize my purchase


03-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Eaglerapids's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho,USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,588
I will buy this lens but it will probably be a few months before I can afford it, I very well might have to wait for a price drop. I have to stop spending money on camera equipment but I'm almost there........I think.
03-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
QuoteQuote:
Ron Mexico: Is it me, or is that ridiculously expensive!
I agree with you--it does sound expensive, especially when you compare it to the price of the Da 14mm f 2.8.
03-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Relax guys, like all things its price will go down. It's a brand new product.
03-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
QuoteQuote:
soccerjoe5 Relax guys, like all things its price will go down. It's a brand new product.

Really????

03-25-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sweden, Umea
Posts: 871
The release price in sweden is 1150$ (9000kr) :<

QQ
03-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,811
The price of the lens listed on the Pentax Webstore (US) is 650 bucks, which suggests the "street" price after it reaches equilibrium will be about $500, if pricing of the other DA Limiteds is any guide.

Like others, I said, "OUCH!" when I saw the price, but I'll probably get it anyway. I've wanted this lens since it showed up on the roadmap, and - hey - it's only money.

Jer
03-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member
rburgoss's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 972
Totally agree. Adorama is selling both DA14/2.8 and DA 15/4 at the same price. Under such scenario, I would get the 14/2.8 without a blink. Besides image quality which is yet to be compared, the 14/2.8 has three big advantages over the 15/4.

1) Faster
2) Can use filters and comes with nice hood
3) A bit wider

The only con against the DA15 is size and weight, but if considering I usually carry 4 to 6 lenses, then this means peanuts.
03-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 18,811
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote

Besides image quality which is yet to be compared, the 14/2.8 has three big advantages over the 15/4.

1) Faster
2) Can use filters and comes with nice hood
3) A bit wider
Note that the DA 15 uses standard filters (49 mm) and has a built-in extendable hood.

Jer
03-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by RonMexico Quote
So I looked up the price of the Pentax DA 15mm Limited lens.
I couldn't find it on Amazon, but Adorama is apparently going to sell it for $579.

Is it me, or is that ridiculously expensive!
That would make it the most expensive of the DA pancake lenses.
I just thought it would be in the mid-400s to be in line with the 70 and 21.

Is anyone going to buy this lens?
Any chance the lens price comes down?
wide angle distortion free lenses are inheritely more expensive to make than lenses approaching the normal focal lengths.
03-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Totally agree. Adorama is selling both DA14/2.8 and DA 15/4 at the same price. Under such scenario, I would get the 14/2.8 without a blink. Besides image quality which is yet to be compared, the 14/2.8 has three big advantages over the 15/4.

1) Faster
2) Can use filters and comes with nice hood
3) A bit wider

The only con against the DA15 is size and weight, but if considering I usually carry 4 to 6 lenses, then this means peanuts.
Another consideration is distortion.

From the samples I saw on Ned Blundell's blog, the distortion seems very well controlled with the DA 15. The DA 14 isn't bad, but has some odd characteristics when dealing with straight lines--we'll see when more photos trickle out though!
03-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI. USA. Earth.
Posts: 139
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Another consideration is distortion.

From the samples I saw on Ned Blundell's blog, the distortion seems very well controlled with the DA 15. The DA 14 isn't bad, but has some odd characteristics when dealing with straight lines--we'll see when more photos trickle out though!
Yeah, the DA 21 is great but the distortion is the only downside. If they can correct that on an even wider focal length in a pancake LTD, that's pretty awesome.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
15mm, da, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax da 15mm, pentax lens, price, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax DA 15mm Limited ddamski Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 29 08-16-2011 04:19 AM
Got my Pentax 15mm f/4 Limited pb_red Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 08-05-2009 04:10 PM
What should be the maximum price for Pentax-A 15mm lens as the DA 15mm is coming up? Mitch34 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 06-24-2008 04:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top