Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #1

Attaching filter on film lens, is it usefull?

Hi all,

Recently i bought SMC K 50mm f1.2 for ~USD 260 in EX+ condition. Pretty expensive i think.
Anyway, since it's a pretty old lens and is designed for film camera, I'm wondering if attaching UV filter (like Hoya SMC UV) will definitely reduce CA/PF may occur on this lens?
Or should i only buy a 3rd party lens hood?

TIA,
kyrios

Last edited by kyrios; 04-09-2007 at 01:16 PM.
04-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There is nothing that will reduce the PF or CA. Lens imperfections comes from lens design and adding some plane glass to the front will not change this.

I don't find the price pretty expensive. If it had been the A version it would have been a bargain. Maybe you bought something you didn't know exactly what it was? These f/1.2 lenses are special lenses that doesn't add much (except of CA) to your world unless you need the character and/or speed they provide. For causual shooting a cheapo FA50/1.4 will do better.

And yes, you should buy a hood!

all in my opinion only,
04-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no. An extra layer of glass will only mean another surface for which light can split off and cause more CA. UV is not really necessary for digital slr because they already have a filters to remove IR and UV. UV is really only necessary for film.

However, if you are rather nervous and feel that the front lens element needs to be protected, the by all means.

Btw, Hoya filters do not have SMC coating. Hoya has their own multicoatings. People will tell you to by the really pro stuff. This is because Hoya's cheaper filters have cheaper coatings etc.

Personally I'm fine without. The front element usually well coated. An employee at the store took an old Makinon MC 28mm and scratched it face down (front lens touching the carpet) a couple times. He showed me the dust and fibres that had accumulated on the lens, and then wiped it clean with a dry lens cloth. The glass was as good as new. So in reality, its not necessary, but if it makes you feel better, then use one.
04-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The experience I've had is to choose a smaller f stop if you run into ca/pf. Sometimes helps. I've tried filters and have seen no difference.

04-09-2007, 01:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thx

Thx you for all of your answers. If attaching a filter didn't add any advantage except protecting front element only, i definitely won't.

BR,
kyrios