Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
VL Nokton 58 f/1.4 with extention tubes???

Anybody try this? I purchased a set of used kenko auto tubes a few weeks back and they wouldn't mount on my Nokton so I returned them. They fit okay on another lens but snug. I'm sure it was just the tubes because the Nokton fits like the rest of my lenses on the body.

Anyway, I was really anxious to try the combination. With the Voigtlanders sweet bokeh and fast aperture I think to get it a little closer focus would be awesome. I only payed $79 for the tubes but I'm a little hesitant to thow out $200. Maybe I ought to just get a cheap set for now.

In the meanwhile somebody show me some photos.

Thanks
Oren

03-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #2

I just picked up a 58 Nokton for my Pentax. I plan to try the Raynox close up lens on it instead of an extension tube.
03-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool, never used the Raynox but have seen some great shots done with them on other lenses. Post results if you would please.
Thanks for the response.
03-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #4

OK I will once I get the lens. I have use the Raynox a little with other lenses and they turned out pretty good. I generally don't like putting on an extra piece of glass in front of the lens but after reading a thread here about putting a Raynox in front of the 40 mm f2.8 pancake I needed to try them myself. I am sold because the image quality is pretty darn good.

03-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Anybody try this? I purchased a set of used kenko auto tubes a few weeks back and they wouldn't mount on my Nokton so I returned them. They fit okay on another lens but snug. I'm sure it was just the tubes because the Nokton fits like the rest of my lenses on the body.

Anyway, I was really anxious to try the combination. With the Voigtlanders sweet bokeh and fast aperture I think to get it a little closer focus would be awesome. I only payed $79 for the tubes but I'm a little hesitant to thow out $200. Maybe I ought to just get a cheap set for now.

In the meanwhile somebody show me some photos.

Thanks
Oren
That's weird, I've just been on the hunt for extension tubes to try that exact same thing!

I have and old macro focusing 2x teleconvertor and was thinking about taking the glass out and using it as a sort of bellows, but it only lets the lens operate wide open (no matter what you do with the aperture ring). Might have to short out a contact?

Auto tubes for Pentax have been difficult to find latetly, but I read here on the forums that the Kenko Uniplus is a very good one--even works with SDM! Apparently the owner of Kenko and the owner of Hoya are brothers. Maybe they're fighting, because there's no Kenko stock for Pentax anywhere.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/39108-kenko-extension-tube.html
03-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
That's weird, I've just been on the hunt for extension tubes to try that exact same thing!

I have and old macro focusing 2x teleconvertor and was thinking about taking the glass out and using it as a sort of bellows, but it only lets the lens operate wide open (no matter what you do with the aperture ring). Might have to short out a contact?

Auto tubes for Pentax have been difficult to find latetly, but I read here on the forums that the Kenko Uniplus is a very good one--even works with SDM! Apparently the owner of Kenko and the owner of Hoya are brothers. Maybe they're fighting, because there's no Kenko stock for Pentax anywhere.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/39108-kenko-extension-tube.html

It was the Kenko auto that I had my hands on and I sure wish they would have worked out. They were the AF version 12mm 20mm 36mm. I didn't realize they were discontinued. I was just looking a few weeks ago and both bhpoto and adorama had them in stock I thought.
NUTS!
I really wanted to try them but as I said before I might just get a cheap set on eekbay with no electronics.
Good luck with your search.

Last edited by OrenMc; 03-25-2009 at 03:09 PM.
03-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Picked up a set of Kenko AF tubes today. They don't actually appear to work with my AF lenses, and there's a piece of paper inside that says "use camera in manual mode" so I was a little disillusioned when I first tried them out. I tried them with the 43, and I get a mad whirring sound in AF, but no AF function!

However, I did try a couple snaps. You have to get wicked close--it's like having only the macro end of the focusing ring from a real macro lens. You lose the ability to focus on anything past a couple inches.

Here's one of the two of the tubes themselves, taken with the Nokton at f/1.4 with the 20mm extension tube on.

The Nokton is of course known for its bokeh, but people forget how sharp it is!

[edit] okay, so bit of an update. With the 20mm tube on, you can focus on things that are 4 1/2 to 6 inches away from the lens front. That's from closest point to infinity on the focus ring.

I took some shots outside, but wasn't keeping track very well of what I was doing... and didn't really know how to handle the tubes! I'll do some more next week, and maybe there'll be some life out there!

Here's a link to one with the 36mm tube at f/5.6 of the inside of a fallen tree that shows how thin the focus is, but you still get the bokeh :

dirty tree

Last edited by farfisa; 03-27-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added info
03-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

One for the Pentax fanboys--I never knew the inside of the hood of the 43 was lined with felt!
This is a crop--pardon the noise and fringing (shot indoors at f/3.2, ISO 1600, 20mm extension):

43 limited hood

03-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks farfisa, where did you find the tubes?
03-28-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Thanks farfisa, where did you find the tubes?
I found them at a local store in Toronto. A small one with no online presence, so it was a bit lucky. Though I'm not sure if getting the AF version was worth it... you know, since it doesn't AF!

These might be an older model though--they're brand new looking, but the box looks like it was designed in the sixties.

The Uniplus model sounds like the best option, though I'm not sure how well autofocus would work that close.
04-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #11

Not exactly shot with extension tubes. I am still waiting for the extension tubes to arrive. In the meantime I shot my Voigtlander 58 f1.4 with a Raynox 150 closeup lens. Here are some examples.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
02-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Wow this is an old but great thread. Looks like both tubes and the raynox are viable options.

Does anyone know if the Raynox will fit on the Nokton's official hood? The hood is approx 67mm which is the max that the raynox will support.